what heads to use and why

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thread as I'm not far off getting heads sorted for my 406 stroker

I think it depends what you are after and your budget restraints not just the many different opinions of what works best

As I'm on a tight budget I'm sticking with my 302C Aussie heads with dished pistons and chambers opened up slightly for about 10.5:1 comp

Not building a high revving engine I will probably go with getting my heads done by an Aussie company who use the 302C heads successfully on their stroker engines for the 450-500 hp range which is my target

Great link posted on the flow rates of various heads but this one wasn't on it which has flow figures etc -

https://www.pavtek.com.au/index.php/ford-heads/340-clev-2v-cast-iron-competition-ported-cylinder-heads-192cc

If I was after something to gain more torque and HP I wouldn't hesitate with CHI 3V alloy heads as my personal favorite but factory 4V should work well although getting harder to find these days and by the time you rework them you may as well pay a bit extra for alloys
OzCoupe72, What dished pistons are you planning on using with your build? Why not go with a set of Aussie 351C 4v heads with their larger valves and chambers and 2v ports instead of opening up the 302C heads.?

Interesting thread as I'm not far off getting heads sorted for my 406 stroker

I think it depends what you are after and your budget restraints not just the many different opinions of what works best

As I'm on a tight budget I'm sticking with my 302C Aussie heads with dished pistons and chambers opened up slightly for about 10.5:1 comp

Not building a high revving engine I will probably go with getting my heads done by an Aussie company who use the 302C heads successfully on their stroker engines for the 450-500 hp range which is my target

Great link posted on the flow rates of various heads but this one wasn't on it which has flow figures etc -

https://www.pavtek.com.au/index.php/ford-heads/340-clev-2v-cast-iron-competition-ported-cylinder-heads-192cc

If I was after something to gain more torque and HP I wouldn't hesitate with CHI 3V alloy heads as my personal favorite but factory 4V should work well although getting harder to find these days and by the time you rework them you may as well pay a bit extra for alloys
OzCoupe72, What dished pistons are you planning on using with your build? Why not go with a set of Aussie 351C 4v heads with their larger valves and chambers and 2v ports instead of opening up the 302C heads.?
I'm using SRP 16cc dish and approx 63cc chamber for 10.5:1

As for Aussie heads there were only 2 versions built by us Aussies, both small valve/port, closed chamber used on 302 with 2 or 4 barrel carb and open chamber used on 351 both 2 & 4 barrel carby so essentially 2V heads

Couldn't see the point in buying another set of heads just to run flat top pistons so will just persevere with what I have

And for anyone interested a great article on US vs AUS Cleveland engines ironically from the UK - 

http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/html/engines.html

Back