What stupid, abusive things have you done to your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike429cj's post reminded me of an "incident" involving a friend I was stationed with in Warner Robins Ga. He had just bought a new 72 Gran Torino Sport. First new car and very proud of how she ran and looked. So after a couple weeks of break in time I got the invite to go for a ride to see how good she ran. The only complaint he had was that the shoulder harness belts would not stay attached to the headliner. So down the road we go. 60,70,80, man this thing is really starting to roll! Engine is REALLY starting to sound good through those open windows. All of a sudden I hear a loud slapping sound like two pieces of leather slapping each other. I look over at my buddy and he looks at me with a look a horror on his face. The entire left side of his face is blood red and is bleeding from a small cut on his cheek. He locks up the brakes, pulls off the road,goes to the trunk, pulls a hack saw from his tool box and immediately started sawing the shoulder harness belts from his new car. Threw them to the side of the road, back in the trunk went the hack saw. No one said any thing for a long time. Back into town for a few brews to help numb his pain and a few for me just in case anything tried to attack me. So thanks for shoulder harness post Mike. Nothing like a trip down memory lane for a good laugh!

Great stories. I dont have any for my mustang. I have heaps with other cars and bikes. Hit a parking meter at about 80mph in a XW GS peeled a 4 inch wide strip from half way up the front guard to the rear quarter rolled it perfectly like opening a sardine can, the rear quarter hinged out 90 degrees and was folded around the rear bumper. Been let off for weird stuff too eg. Got pulled over once with a car full of bikers and a loaded spas 12, cop asked us "where are you Bastards going with That ? Why a wedding of course" :p. Its a wonder Iam not dead

Oh here is another stupid one with a mate driving.Came to a 1 lane bridge at about 70mph the view from the top of the hill said we where all clear,so he flattens it the old XY is touching 100 as he hit the bridge. Hit it we did ! It was a wooden decked bridge and the entry onto it had bowed up. It took the sump clean off below the cross member on a very low car. We made it across the bridge straight then started spinning out of control up the hill on the other side. Lucky no one was coming

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, well i haven't done anything stupid in the '73...yet. Anyways i was 17 years old, behind the wheel of my restored 65 coupe with a "souped up" 289. On my way to school i was pulling out my neighborhood and the school bus was at the stop picking up all the kids. The road was a little damp but i decided to make my right turn and i just punched it trying to show off. the coupe spun into a 180 in the middle of the road and when i went to hit the brake my foot slammed the brake and the gas at the same time and the 289 over powered those drums and i went beelining toward the neighborhood gate entrance. there was these decorative landscape boulders that i drove right over top of and i just punched it but i was stuck. i rocked it back and forth and now the engine was really loud. The kids at the bus stop are now laughing at me, my front valance is dented, my exhuast was ripped off at the manifold, and i have this big boulder inbetween the rear axle and rear floor pan. My dad took the keys and made me ride the bus for the next week but i was to ashamed so i paid a friend $60 to pick me up and take me home everyday.

Ok, well i haven't done anything stupid in the '73...yet. Anyways i was 17 years old, behind the wheel of my restored 65 coupe with a "souped up" 289. On my way to school i was pulling out my neighborhood and the school bus was at the stop picking up all the kids. The road was a little damp but i decided to make my right turn and i just punched it trying to show off. the coupe spun into a 180 in the middle of the road and when i went to hit the brake my foot slammed the brake and the gas at the same time and the 289 over powered those drums and i went beelining toward the neighborhood gate entrance. there was these decorative landscape boulders that i drove right over top of and i just punched it but i was stuck. i rocked it back and forth and now the engine was really loud. The kids at the bus stop are now laughing at me, my front valance is dented, my exhuast was ripped off at the manifold, and i have this big boulder inbetween the rear axle and rear floor pan. My dad took the keys and made me ride the bus for the next week but i was to ashamed so i paid a friend $60 to pick me up and take me home everyday.
hahaha, that's hilarious!

I made some wall art!

v328ld.jpg

If you do not have a plasma cutter you are missing out on some great fun!

- Paul

Where to start. I see many of the previous stories take place during high school.. I'm not different. All in high school with my 71...

1. Trying to make my parents curfew I took a 45 minute trip and turned it into a 25 minute trip at 1 AM. My speedo was at the 6 o'clock position most of the trip.

2. I used to take my friends for a "power slide" ride taking a right hand turn at a stop sign from one road to the other.

3. Getting kicked out of the school student parking lot for doing burn-outs leaving school at the end of the day.

Now I'm only 32 so this was not that long ago. Oh how much cheaper parts were for the 7173's even back in 1998!

Where to start. I see many of the previous stories take place during high school.. I'm not different. All in high school with my 71...

1. Trying to make my parents curfew I took a 45 minute trip and turned it into a 25 minute trip at 1 AM. My speedo was at the 6 o'clock position most of the trip.

2. I used to take my friends for a "power slide" ride taking a right hand turn at a stop sign from one road to the other.

3. Getting kicked out of the school student parking lot for doing burn-outs leaving school at the end of the day.

Now I'm only 32 so this was not that long ago. Oh how much cheaper parts were for the 7173's even back in 1998!

Haha yep I was one upping the country boys in their jacked up trucks and covered the highschool in tire smoke. Little did I know the sheriff was in the parking lot the whole time. Wanted to give me wreckless driving but I told him technically I wasn't driving as my car didn't move. Not going into detail on how I got out of that one. Did pick up a new girl that day though ;)

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

Here's 1 Don't read it if you like cats.

We where out in a ACs XD falcon I Was about 18 at the time so we where out dippin for chicks, doing skids, Stylin big time. Done a few burn outs down the Main Street then just on dark we went to pick up big Noddy. On the way a black and white cat flew out in front of us and got run over. AC stops grabs the tire iron out the boot saying cant leave it to suffer,walks over to the gutter and administers the coup de grace. With that an old lady comes flying out the house shouting that she has rung the cops that we are terrible young blokes and we should be ashamed etc etc. with in the fastest police responce in history we only just started to pull away as the cops arrive. Cop gets us out and we explain what happened, he nods the old girls says we are telling lies the cat was laying near the gutter as was its habit and we pull up in our noisy cars and bash its head in. Not true say we so we show the copper where the cat came from, He shines his torch around and there is a mangled black and white cat ?? Christ not only have we accidentally killed some ones cat me have murdered granny's tabby. No wonder she had hit the roof. After we explained to nana we where both taught never leave a wounded animal and that it wasn't as if we went shit there's mittens lets bash his f@cken head in. Anyway the cop starts laughing at the outragessness of the whole thing and tells to piss off and stop doing burn outs on the Main Street. Wasn't us cop there would have to be hundreds of candy apple red falcons in town there as common as black and white kitty's

I'll tell you an abusive story of of a 1972 Ford Maverick-you Memphians might even know the location.

There is a street in Memphis (Poplar Estates) It crosses Neshoba and at the intersection there was a really bad dip. In high school I found that if we blocked Neshoba and ran the stop sign that I could perform automotive jumps in feats that would make Evil Knievl proud.

Running the stop sign at a leisurely 15 miles an hour would get all 4 wheels off the ground for a nice gentle jump. At 35 miles an hour I soared high enough that the landing nearly ripped the front end out from under the car damaging the strut brace a bit. I needed to land on all 4 wheels, so I recruited passengers to sit in the back seat, upped the speed to 45+. I can't tell you how far we traveled, but I can tell you that the antifreeze trail from the front motor mount breaking and putting the fan through the radiator started over 100 feet from the launch point. It felt like we were way up in the air, though I doubt we were ever really over 6 feet off the ground.

Mudding in a Chevrolet Citation comes close and while I don't remember all the details, I do remember shouting "We're meat!" at one point as we slid toward our doom. We all died horrible deaths in my mind, though in reality I manage to correct the slide just in time.

In college back in the 80's I had a Ford Pinto. Biggest piece of sheet ever. I finally scored a real muscle car, 1970 Mustang with 302. Street racing one night showing off for my girl. Lined up against a Camaro at the stop light. Light turned green adn off we go. The problem is the next light just turned red. I step on the brake to only discover that the pedal goes to the floor. Cross traffic is heavy and my girl friend is now screaming like a banshee! I thought I was dead for sure. Luckily, at the last second we sail through a gap in traffic. I use the emergency brake to stop. The guy in the Camaro is laughing his ass off and that was the last date with that girl. She dropped me the next day. Silly thing, $1.50 to replace a rusted brake line on the rear axle.

Later in a similar instance of stoplight racing, some old lady pulled out in front of me and I had to ditch the car to avoid a rear end collision. Bent the front of the car and I was left driving that darn Pinto for another 3 years.

that's an easy answer . let my wife any where near my car .i will save you the details .it will just make you sad :shrug2:
No,

We have to have details! What did she do? Reminds me of the very first time I let my girlfriend drive my 72 Mach 1. Instead of backing out of the parking space she drove forward running over the parking curb. I just reassured her it was ok and we continued. We have now been married over 40 years! She was a keeper even though she jumped my cool pony over that hunk of concrete.

Now tells us what the little woman did?

The question needs to be rephrased a bit for me to answer. "What stupid, abusive things have you NOT done to your Mustang?", would be more fitting. It was the '80's I was 17 (This post could end here, lol) when I bought it. Mustangs were cheap, plentiful, and fun. I bought it slightly wrecked, fixed it, raised hell in it. Remember my generation teethed on the, "Dukes of Hazard". I rode this horse like it was stolen. The 2V Cleveland/FMX didn't last long and gave way to a 4V Cleveland/C6 and general hell raising fell to Saturday night street drags. That engine died and I built my first, "hot rod," engine 4v Cleveland stuffed with all the appropriate brand names and we proceeded to thrash transmissions, rear ends, and mountains of tires, in the pursuit of “faster”. In '86 the Mustang started finding its way onto a couple of local 1/8th mile tracks in addition to midnight street drags and endless doughnuts. One late night at the track the "hot rod" Cleveland died Hara-Kiri style by disemboweling itself with a connecting rod. Beer, buddies, and blow torches contributed to stuffing a 460 out of a grain truck in it and a dream was born. The big block was a game changer even with over 200,000 miles on it. I raced it in this configuration for a short time then had the epiphany that I actually loved this car and it needed a make-over. It was my best friend and I had treated it very bad. I disassembled it and stored it away. Life took over at some point and I joined the Army, went to college, added a wife, kids and mortgage, same ole song, and the mustang waited. Now here I am 24 years later planning on atoning for the pain I caused my Mustang. I pulled it out of its tomb a few years ago, brought it home, and am gearing up to give it a resurrection worthy of its service in our misspent youth.

Our school actually had "Senior Burn Out Day" from the 1950's until almost 1990! lol On the last day of school before graduation anyone with a car that could (and some that couldn't) would spend lunch hour in the parking lot roastin' 'em and causing general mayhem.

...the good ole days.

that's an easy answer . let my wife any where near my car .i will save you the details .it will just make you sad :shrug2:
No,

We have to have details! What did she do? Reminds me of the very first time I let my girlfriend drive my 72 Mach 1. Instead of backing out of the parking space she drove forward running over the parking curb. I just reassured her it was ok and we continued. We have now been married over 40 years! She was a keeper even though she jumped my cool pony over that hunk of concrete.

well to start she hit my mail box with the left front fender pulling into my drive way.

she had ankle surgery and was using crutches, put them in the back seat of the conv. then dropped the top on them,bending the crutches,and the rear tacking bow.

at a car show at a park she opened up the passenger door it slipped out of her hand and hit a 1967 trophy mustang.

broke off the under dash light just to mention a few

No,

well to start she hit my mail box with the left front fender pulling into my drive way.

she had ankle surgery and was using crutches, put them in the back seat of the conv. then dropped the top on them,bending the crutches,and the rear tacking bow.

at a car show at a park she opened up the passenger door it slipped out of her hand and hit a 1967 trophy mustang.

Holy crap. Who got custody of the 'vert in the divorce decree? :p

No,

OK,

Say no more. I am hurting from that story. Especially hitting another car at a car show. Wow

Back