What's the current state of idler arms for our cars?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my idler arm from Scott Drake Holley it looks lie the one I removed from the carView attachment 60804View attachment 60805

I have not installed it yet but it looks like it will fit. The mount holes line up and the geometry looks the same overall.
Just looking at your pic, which could be an illusion, check the center dimensions through the mount side pivot to the centerline of the link side, dimension"X". The S/D one looks to be shorter. If it is, send it back. Reference my pfd above.
If the dimensions are the same, it should be okay.

Just looking at your pic, which could be an illusion, check the center dimensions through the mount side pivot to the centerline of the link side, dimension"X". The S/D one looks to be shorter. If it is, send it back. Reference my pfd above.
If the dimensions are the same, it should be okay.
I saw that, also, but figured it was probably an illusion caused by the photo and the position of the upright portion of the idler arm.

FYI I measured the dimension "x" and they are the same from the S/D idler to the one that came off the car. Hoping the one on the car when I bought it is correct I should be okay. Everything seems to measure out okay, I will find out today, or soon, as I am starting to reinstall the front suspension and steering today. Fingers crossed 🤞

FYI I measured the dimension "x" and they are the same from the S/D idler to the one that came off the car. Hoping the one on the car when I bought it is correct I should be okay. Everything seems to measure out okay, I will find out today, or soon, as I am starting to reinstall the front suspension and steering today. Fingers crossed 🤞
All should be good then. Best to be sure before you spend time putting it on.
Personally, I am not a huge fan of Scott Drake stuff and avoid wherever possible.
Let us know how it works out.

I installed the Scott Drake idler arm yesterday and the angle is wrong. I mounted the center link to the idler and the other end of the link is approximately 2 1/2" higher than the pitman arm. So I'm calling it, even though it is listed for 71-73 w/PS, Scott Drake idler arm does not fit our cars. Back on the hunt for an idler arm that will fit, or just reinstall the one that came off, overall it looked in good condition, the rubber looked good. I was just hesitant because it was on there when I bought the car and didn't know how old it was. But a little detailing and it will be fine for now at least. I can get the front suspension and steering together. Once the car is back on four wheels I can get back to body work.

I'm worried about the front springs now. They are the only other Scott Drake part I have ordered so far for the front suspension.Mach 1 217a.jpg

Here is a picture of the SD idler arm installed but it binds terribly because of the tension of the angle being off.

I'm worried about the front springs now. They are the only other Scott Drake part I have ordered so far for the front suspension.View attachment 60968

Here is a picture of the SD idler arm installed but it binds terribly because of the tension of the angle being off.
I know the sketch I posted is a bit light, but check the dimensions I show, marked X and Y. If those are off, then it is likely nfg. As for front springs, I've said it many many times and from my own experience, ONLY use Eaton Detroit Springs springs if you want it right for a stock, or 1" lowered suspension.
You could buy new bushings for the original if you can get them pressed in. That might be an option.

So... After all of the playing around with the S/D idler arm, I decided to rebuild and repaint my original. It's installed and the geometry is correct and no more binding, on to the next challenge. I appreciate all of the information and guidance on this. I don't think I am going to buy any more Scott Drake stuff unless absolutely necessary.

Mach 1 223.jpgMach 1 224.jpgMach 1 221.jpgMach 1 222.jpg

It probably is, that's the luck I'm having with these steering components. I used the one that was on the car because I couldn't find a listing for one and I figured there is no rubber to wear or dry rot, so I just cleaned and painted it. I will start researching a new one of those, in the future, need to move away from steering for a while.

I wanted to add a little more info since my earlier post was a link to another thread with no explanation of it. First photo top to bottom shows a used NLA Moog arm, mystery repop arm, then a Rare Parts RP20250 on the bottom.

Next photo shows an original idler (or what I think is original).

I ended up running the Rare Parts RP20250 on my car, I can't say I am excited about the "S" bend shape. The geometry between the mounting points, pivot etc. are all correct. It bolted right up and works well.

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

Has anyone seen this from WorldWide Suspension Distributor:

https://www.wsd4less.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=326&language=en

It is listed as a K8165, but it does not say it is from MOOG. If you click on "additional information" it says the manufacturer is Ford (???). The price is way low, but for $30 and free shipping, I ordered one to see how it looks.

That looks like the one you could get from WCCC for low bucks. I ordered one and it fits just fine. WSD is a big suspension parts manufacturer, as I recall mine is also from WSD.

Please share your experience with it!

That looks like the one you could get from WCCC for low bucks. I ordered one and it fits just fine. WSD is a big suspension parts manufacturer, as I recall mine is also from WSD.

Please share your experience with it!
Thanks for the input. It arrives on Thursday, so I'll try it out and let you all know.

Back