What's Wrong With This Door Data Tag?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Charles, (ccman73)

This site is made up of true 1971-1973 Mustang owners and enthusiasts. Many many years of experiences with these cars are very well represented. And we all work hard to ensure the Marque is correctly represented.

For your 1973 Mustang convertible, you mention you have the Marti. Did you happen to purchase the Elite Marti report for this car? And if so, did you compare the door data plate with the one currently on the car?

As a prospective buyer, I am continually trying to verify the correctness of cars that are represented as rare and original.

My 1st and most important concern with your car's data plate was the overstriking/stamping of the consecutive unit number. That is the last 6 characters of the VIN. The characters that should be "1" have been overprinted with "I". If a local tag agent was to verify the VIN as required when tagged from another state, they would question the change.

While I like your car from the pictures I have seen, I would like to suggest you either change out with a new correct data plate as produced by Marti or hopefully have documentation as to why this perceived change took place.

I am sorry as I have not reviewed any of the other codes on the plate.

Best of luck with the sale of your car.

Respectfully, Ray

Verify dash VIN would be good.

But I think a Marti on this car would help the most.

And the deluxe would give a copy of the door tag, too.

That door tag looks suspect and causes too many red flags.

Best to verify and if purchased, replace with one from Kevin Marti.

If the current owner would go to the trouble - I think it would increase the value of the car.

Ray
Ray. This is my car for sale. I have a Marti Report. The car is authentic. Do not know what happened with the tag. See posts elsewhere that address this. I did not know I could get a new tag from Marti. Thanks for the tip.

Charles, (ccman73)

This site is made up of true 1971-1973 Mustang owners and enthusiasts. Many many years of experiences with these cars are very well represented. And we all work hard to ensure the Marque is correctly represented.

For your 1973 Mustang convertible, you mention you have the Marti. Did you happen to purchase the Elite Marti report for this car? And if so, did you compare the door data plate with the one currently on the car?

As a prospective buyer, I am continually trying to verify the correctness of cars that are represented as rare and original.

My 1st and most important concern with your car's data plate was the overstriking/stamping of the consecutive unit number. That is the last 6 characters of the VIN. The characters that should be "1" have been overprinted with "I". If a local tag agent was to verify the VIN as required when tagged from another state, they would question the change.

While I like your car from the pictures I have seen, I would like to suggest you either change out with a new correct data plate as produced by Marti or hopefully have documentation as to why this perceived change took place.

I am sorry as I have not reviewed any of the other codes on the plate.

Best of luck with the sale of your car.

Respectfully, Ray
I do not think I got the Marti Report elite. It looks like I need to do that and get the proper name plate. By the way, the VIN number on the windshield matches. It looks like somewhere along the line someone did a sloppy job of putting on a replacement tag/plate before I bought the car. Thanks for your suggestions. Charles

Verify dash VIN would be good.

But I think a Marti on this car would help the most.

And the deluxe would give a copy of the door tag, too.

That door tag looks suspect and causes too many red flags.

Best to verify and if purchased, replace with one from Kevin Marti.

If the current owner would go to the trouble - I think it would increase the value of the car.

Ray
Ray. This is my car for sale. I have a Marti Report. The car is authentic. Do not know what happened with the tag. See posts elsewhere that address this. I did not know I could get a new tag from Marti. Thanks for the tip.
No prob. My last post and your last crossed in the (web) mail...

Must admit - I have a soft spot for Q code 'verts. Ray

Dear Jim and Jutta. This is my car for sale. Thanks for the information. I was not aware of this way to authenticate a Mustang. As you will see from my responses elsewhere, I have a Marti Report and this car is authentic. And yes, I would be happy to accept an offer subject to the right to pull a fender, if it did not cause damage. Do you know if it can be done without causing damage or problems? The paint is terrific on the car and I do not want to mess is up. Charles

Charles, like I've previously stated, just because the glued on piece of paper on the door isn't correct doesn't mean it's not the car it's advertised to be. A previous owner could have purchased a blank and inserted the information he felt was correct with no intent to misrepresent the car. Concerning the possibility of damaging the paint while removing the fender...yeah it could happen; in fact the paint could be damaged driving it. But since you feel confident it's the car you represent it to be, then you shouldn't be overly concerned with possible paint damages... if the buyer agrees to buy the car if the VIN# under the fender matches once removed.

Jim

If someone wants to pull the fender to verify the VIN I would make sure you have an agreement for the buyer to purchase your car otherwise as long as the VIN matches. Once they pull the fender and the VIN matches, the car is theirs!

Last edited by a moderator:
Charles, you can also compare the info stamped on the buck tag as further evidence. Good luck with your sale.
That information matches up.

Charles, I'm glad that you took the time to post on here and didn't get offended with some of the other posts. As another member said, we're true enthusiasts of the 71-73 line and many of us are sticklers for detail (for good reason, you wouldn't believe some of the crap we've seen on here). Good luck with the sale; if you have any questions feel free to ask them here. Most all of the members are good people and willing to offer information.

All the luck to selling your car...We seen alot of fake things being passed off as original..Or possibly..A door tag and codes are the first thing i look at usualy..Too make sure the parts are matching..These cars are so old now..You have no idea what you are getting unless you verify it...have no idea what kinda chop job you are getting..Or how solid and original it realy is...your car looks realy nice....But it raised flags when everyone seen the door codes on your car...Thats usualy not a good sign on being orignal...By no means are we saying it isnt..But that door tag doesnt look right..And we didnt have your marti report to go by....nor any picutres of the buck tag......Only that picture of the door tag infomation...Which seems to be wrong.....Lack of infomation of both ends....best of luck on your sale sir.

I think it would be prudent to 100% verify the car is what it's represented to be Just because you have a Marti report that dosn't 100% confirm the actual car..You could be held liable for damages if you represent the car as x & then the new buyer finds out it's y..

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2012/06/12/australian-couple-ordered-to-repay-108000-for-selling-fake-ford-falcon-xw-gt/

If you can't 100% confirm the car I would make the purchaser sign a document stating you BELIEVE the car to be x but cannot confirm therefore the buyer agrees to hold you harmless & the car is sold as is

I think a little homework would have prevented the negative remarks. When you are dealing with people that have owned a 71-73 Mustang for 30-40 years, it really bugs us when we see Mach1 convertibles (as seen on Ebay) and other cars that were never actually made. So when a door label is shown in an ad with numerous incorrect codes the red warning lights start flashing in our heads. So, lesson learned is a simple statement like (I checked the door code and obviously someone replaced it) would explain to a potential buyer the reason for the misinformation. Better yet - leaving the picture of the label off the ad would have been better. I'd get the right decal asap as it's just going to cause you headaches down the road if you take the picture off the ad and someone asks to see it.

I think a little homework would have prevented the negative remarks. When you are dealing with people that have owned a 71-73 Mustang for 30-40 years, it really bugs us when we see Mach1 convertibles and other cars that were never made. So when a door label is shown in ad add with numerous incorrect codes and no VIN listed the red warning lights start flashing in our heads. So, lesson learned is a simple statement like (I check the door code and obviously someone replaced it) would explain to a potential buyer the reason for the misinformation. Better yet - leaving the picture of the label off the ad would have been better.:rolleyes:
If I were the person trying to sell the car I wouldn't take the comments as negative...I would take them as reasons the car isn't selling and then remedy the issue to get it sold. Personally I would be appreciate to those who pointed out an issue that I wasn't aware of and probably scaring of potential buyers.

At the asking price, I'd have a body shop pull the fender take a photo of the vin# on the frame and one of the vin# on the dash then place those in the ad...I'd remove the sticker on the door and replace it with one that matches the Marti report.

Jim

Good points Jim. If someone is interested in the car and even if it is 100% authentic (I am by no means saying it isn't) they would look at the door label and wonder what the heck. This site I found in five seconds tells everyone what the codes should be: http://www.mustangspecs.com/years/73.shtml

So .... these days before someone forks over some hard earned cash they are going to do some basic research and should ask lots of questions.

Charles,

I'm glad you joined our group here. ::welcome::

I hope you did not take offense at my original post of the information on your car's door data plate. Like I said, I was browsing for a Q code convertible and came across your car. As several of the members here have stated, there are a lot of cars out there for sale that are being pitched as something they are not so we take all documentation seriously and anything out of the ordinary in that documentation tends to trip our radar. Anyone can put a 351C 4V into a convertible, but if it doesn't have a Q in the VIN the car is not nearly as valuable as one that does. At the elevated prices for our cars these days we all have to be careful. Having said all of that, I think you have a beautiful car and I can tell you that I have gone back to your listing many times visualizing that car in my garage next to my Mach 1. Speaking openly and honestly here though, I can tell you that as a Mustang enthusiast since 1977, your door data plate causes me to be suspicious. I would be more comfortable if it was not there at all but the fact that it is there, and incorrect, and you are not sure how it got there, does raise a red flag to me as a prospective buyer. Fake door data plates are not normal especially when legitimate replacements are readily available with proper documentation. You said the car had staggered rear shocks and that would make sense for a 351C 4V in 1973. The underside photos you provided did not show the staggered shock arrangement (only the passenger side shock was visible). The photos also did not show a rear stabilizer bar which should have come with the staggered shock arrangement. Your photos also show a dual exhaust system - that was a given on the 351 C 4V but neither muffler had the stock muffler hanger. I suppose they could have rotted away but given the condition of the car, I would expect them to be there. My Mach 1 has 100,000 miles and it still has the stock muffler and tail pipe hangers. You said that the buck tag matches the VIN on the dash - that's a good sign. Is your car still on the market? I live near Columbus, OH and may be able to come and take a look at it.

Charles,

I'm glad you joined our group here. ::welcome::

I hope you did not take offense at my original post of the information on your car's door data plate. Like I said, I was browsing for a Q code convertible and came across your car. As several of the members here have stated, there are a lot of cars out there for sale that are being pitched as something they are not so we take all documentation seriously and anything out of the ordinary in that documentation tends to trip our radar. Anyone can put a 351C 4V into a convertible, but if it doesn't have a Q in the VIN the car is not nearly as valuable as one that does. At the elevated prices for our cars these days we all have to be careful. Having said all of that, I think you have a beautiful car and I can tell you that I have gone back to your listing many times visualizing that car in my garage next to my Mach 1. Speaking openly and honestly here though, I can tell you that as a Mustang enthusiast since 1977, your door data plate causes me to be suspicious. I would be more comfortable if it was not there at all but the fact that it is there, and incorrect, and you are not sure how it got there, does raise a red flag to me as a prospective buyer. Fake door data plates are not normal especially when legitimate replacements are readily available with proper documentation. You said the car had staggered rear shocks and that would make sense for a 351C 4V in 1973. The underside photos you provided did not show the staggered shock arrangement (only the passenger side shock was visible). The photos also did not show a rear stabilizer bar which should have come with the staggered shock arrangement. Your photos also show a dual exhaust system - that was a given on the 351 C 4V but neither muffler had the stock muffler hanger. I suppose they could have rotted away but given the condition of the car, I would expect them to be there. My Mach 1 has 100,000 miles and it still has the stock muffler and tail pipe hangers. You said that the buck tag matches the VIN on the dash - that's a good sign. Is your car still on the market? I live near Columbus, OH and may be able to come and take a look at it.
I did not take offense. In fact, I am glad you brought it to my attention. I have updated the listing. I have added the Marti Reports, a letter from Ford Motor Company, and the odometer disclosure statement from Tony Betten Ford when it was sold to the prior owner. Regarding the muffler and shock questions, frankly, I do not know enough about the proper specs to answer your question. But the car is still on the market and you may come and look at it. I will be gone this weekend, but next weekend should work. Let's talk next week. My contact information in on the website where the car is listed for sale: http://classiccars.com/listing-325678/1973-ford-mustang-for-sale-in-bryan-ohio-us.html

The Marti report and letter from Ford will go a very long way in proving the car is the real deal. It's a good price and this ragtop could easily sell at a high end auction for several thousand more. Sorry if we have been skeptical but we mean well and like to see rare cars well documented and preserved for future generations to enjoy.:D Good luck with the sale.

While doing a little internet browsing for a 1973 Q code convertible, I came across a very nice looking car that seemed to have all of the right pieces. The description said "all original" and the car appeared to be in excellent condition based on the photos. Then I saw the photo of the door tag. Uh-oh... Something is not quite right here I told myself. I have my own ideas about what is wrong with this tag but would like the knowledgeable members of 7173Mustangs.com to weigh in on this. What do you see wrong here?

2ue2wrl.jpg
if it is a paper sticker i know my 72 as all the rest is correct as read the last year of gen 1 door tags that are metal are in 70. Mine a quick night transaction and off it went to the closest garage just to get it running-those turds sanded it off and by the vin # never could figure out whether its set up is as original and only thing i can go on is to track down the delivery destinatio and check to see if numbers match.

Back