Which 351C 4v do I have?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhvidston

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang conv 302
1973 Mustang conv 351
Hi all.

Restoring a 1971 Mach1 "M" code.. or so I thought!

Was stripping the motor to repaint and found the casting numbers under the block.

D2AE-CA and 2 J 9... unfortunately, I thinks this must mean my original motor was replace with a 1972 motor?

Also, the motor did have a 4v cast iron intake and the 4v heads that are marked

with a 4* (4 dot) in the corners. could this mean my original motor was replace with

a '72 351HO motor?

Thanks for the input!

Doug

Here are some pics of 351C that came in my M code Mach1IMG_2296.JPG

IMG_2298.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
They used the same number for 72 and 73 . The date on your engine is September 9 th 1972 which is for an early 1973 car and possibly has 4 bolt mains.

They used the same number for 72 and 73 . The date on your engine is September 9 th 1972 which is for an early 1973 car and possibly has 4 bolt mains.
Thanks. with the oil pan off, I see that I have two bolt main.

You'll need to check your head casting numbers to determine if the heads are from your original '71, and are closed chambers, or the open chambers from the later engine.
Thanks Don.. would the "4 dot" number in the corners indicate open chambers?

Are there other numbers I need to look for?

Hi all.

Was stripping the motor to repaint and found the casting numbers under the block.

D2AE-CA and 2 J 9... unfortunately, I thinks this must mean my original motor was replace with a 1972 motor?

with a 4* (4 dot) in the corners. could this mean my original motor was replace with

a '72 351HO motor?

Thanks for the input!

Doug

Here are some pics of 351C that came in my M code Mach1
To me, it looks like the block only was replaced. Your block date code is 1972 Sept. 09 and list as a Cobra Jet block, but I think your heads are '71 C.C. heads as they have the 4*. What is the date codes for the heads? Those can be found between the valve springs. With a mirror you could see the head casting numbers just under the intake ports, in reverse of course ( or pull the heads off). That should tell you more. You would be looking for something like D0AE-6090-GA or other letters. It could also be D1ZE-?? thought to be CJ heads. Also, there will be the sequential VIN number just under the left hand head stamped at the back of the block. You may also have a 4 bolt main!! Pull the pan, man.

If you have not found MustangTek.com , it is a good source of information.

Hope that helps.

Geoff

Hi all.

a '72 351HO motor?

Thanks for the input!

Doug

Here are some pics of 351C that came in my M code Mach1
To me, it looks like the block only was replaced. Your block date code is 1972 Sept. 09 and list as a Cobra Jet block, but I think your heads are '71 C.C. heads as they have the 4*. What is the date codes for the heads? Those can be found between the valve springs. With a mirror you could see the head casting numbers just under the intake ports, in reverse of course ( or pull the heads off). That should tell you more. You would be looking for something like D0AE-6090-GA or other letters. It could also be D1ZE-?? thought to be CJ heads. Also, there will be the sequential VIN number just under the left hand head stamped at the back of the block. You may also have a 4 bolt main!! Pull the pan, man.

If you have not found MustangTek.com , it is a good source of information.

Hope that helps.

Geoff
Thanks Geoff... the head casting number looks like "0J26",,, two bolt mains

the head casting number looks like "0J26",,, two bolt mains
those should be for early 1971 model made in late 70.

what is the casting number?

That's the date code, but it's good news, October 26, 1970, so they're closed chamber.
Thanks Don.. just want to clarify.. it seems the CC heads are more desirable with the higher compression... in which case, I hope I have them.. but I'm still a bit confused on the ID of the heads.. I know they are for 4v but I've read on line that the *4 (4 dot) indicates "open chamber".

I've attached a photo.

Also, would this be correct for an "M Code" motor?

What components make up an M code?

Here's what I know right now.. I have a 1972 351C block that is a D2AE-CA

which some say indicates a Cobra Jet block, with 2 bolt mains and *4 heads

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 3.00.49 AM.png

That's the date code, but it's good news, October 26, 1970, so they're closed chamber.
Thanks Don.. just want to clarify.. it seems the CC heads are more desirable with the higher compression... in which case, I hope I have them.. but I'm still a bit confused on the ID of the heads.. I know they are for 4v but I've read on line that the *4 (4 dot) indicates "open chamber".

I've attached a photo.

There appears to be no correlation between dot/no dot and OC/CC.

http://www.351c.net/archive/parts/cleveland-parts-catalog/cylinder-heads/351c-4v-cylinder-head-date-codes/

I've attached a photo.

There appears to be no correlation between dot/no dot and OC/CC.

http://www.351c.net/archive/parts/cleveland-parts-catalog/cylinder-heads/351c-4v-cylinder-head-date-codes/
Great info! THANKS

M codes have 4V closed chamber heads and usually 2-bolt blocks.

You can find the actual casting number, which will verify the head you have, on the underside of one of the intake runners. A mirror is required while the heads are still on the block.

Yes, the closed chamber are more desirable, both for the higher compression and being a quench style head, which helps reduce pinging.

M codes have 4V closed chamber heads and usually 2-bolt blocks.

You can find the actual casting number, which will verify the head you have, on the underside of one of the intake runners. A mirror is required while the heads are still on the block.

Yes, the closed chamber are more desirable, both for the higher compression and being a quench style head, which helps reduce pinging.
Thanks Don

Attached are photos of the casting numbers...( i phones are great in tight places, upside down) reads D1AE - GA... your thoughts?

tnx

IMG_2308.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

You have a 73 block.

Attached are photos of the casting numbers...( i phones are great in tight places, upside down) reads D1AE - GA... your thoughts?

tnx
Definitely early 71 heads . If they are on the block, you can use a bore scope to try and see if they are open or closed chamber.

those should be for early 1971 model made in late 70.

what is the casting number?

Back