which are the rarest options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about the rest of the group, but at the time this was discussed, I was completely convinced that the rarest option on my car was "solid & rust free sheet metal." rofl

I'm pretty sure it is the Frank Cone GT Special Edition: only two were ever made.

I commented on this briefly, on the "Eye Candy" blog, but what's getting to be the rarest mustang at a show, is one which hasn't been accessorized by it's owner (s). Save for perhaps the Boss cars, a large percentage of Sportsroofs and Mach 1s were built and shipped with white sidewall tires! Go to a show sometime and just try to find a Mach 1 with white sidewall tires, let alone no wing, no side stripes, no "Ram Air" hood, no chin spoiler, no dual exhausts....yet, so many were delivered without.

I used to have a 1930 Model A Ford, and was a member of the local Model A Club. Almost every car in the club was over-accessorized well beyond the way the car came. Sure, you could have gotten some of those optional, or dealer add-ons, dual side-mount spare tires, bud vases, white wall tires, etc, but probably 99% didn't, from old photos of the era. Our Mustangs are the same way.

I've done it too....my Mach 1 has a wing, white lettered tires, ram-air, side stripes...I did all this in '90 when I bought it, figured I was making it special. My car looks better to me, but it's not how it was built, and I'll be honest in telling the next owner ( if I ever sell it ).Today, if I Google " 71 Mach 1 images", of all the photos that come up, only ONE has the standard hubcaps and beauty rings, so today, it seems a car that is authentic to how it was delivered, without owner added options, is RARE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I commented on this briefly, on the "Eye Candy" blog, but what's getting to be the rarest mustang at a show, is one which hasn't been accessorized by it's owner (s). Save for perhaps the Boss cars, a large percentage of Sportsroofs and Mach 1s were built and shipped with white sidewall tires! Go to a show sometime and just try to find a Mach 1 with white sidewall tires, let alone no wing, no side stripes, no "Ram Air" hood, no chin spoiler, no dual exhausts....yet, so many were delivered without.

I used to have a 1930 Model A Ford, and was a member of the local Model A Club. Almost every car in the club was over-accessorized well beyond the way the car came. Sure, you could have gotten some of those optional, or dealer add-ons, dual side-mount spare tires, bud vases, white wall tires, etc, but probably 99% didn't, from old photos of the era. Our Mustangs are the same way.

I've done it too....my Mach 1 has a wing, white lettered tires, ram-air, side stripes...I did all this in '90 when I bought it, figured I was making it special. My car looks better to me, but it's not how it was built, and I'll be honest in telling the next owner ( if I ever sell it ).Today, if I Google " 71 Mach 1 images", of all the photos that come up, only ONE has the standard hubcaps and beauty rings, so today, it seems a car that is authentic to how it was delivered, without owner added options, is RARE.
That's one reason I'm struggling with the whole idea of adding hockey stripes, front & rear spoilers, and other optional appearance items - any time I want to go back to a 'factory' appearance, it's just a matter of slapping on the old tires. Granted, the traction bars aren't factory, nor are the louvers or any of the 'convenience' things I've included (power windows, locks, alarm, back-up camera, TMI Sport Seats, fuel injection, AOD, etc.)... but everything I'm doing isn't outwardly or obnoxiously visible... at least, as long as you don't open the hood, anyway (which, BTW - mine is a factory Ram Air car). ;) :D

This is how I prefer things (well, this was prior to getting the interior and the rest back together - it didn't even have a windshield at this point):

attachment.php

But, here are some white walls for ya. :D

attachment.php

It's just that simple. :p

Now, I don't know if mine came with dog dishes or sport covers... the Marti Report wasn't specific... but I prefer the sport covers, and since Kurt hooked me up with an awesome set, I'll be proud to wear 'em any time now and then. :D

4x4, your car is looking good.You're a man after my own heart, with those Cragar s/s wheels, I like them as well. But, you know what? The white sidewalls don't look half bad on those factory wheels. My car is in the shop getting an entire re-paint right now. I'm considering leaving the wing off and having the holes welded up...not sure if I will yet. I'm going to leave the side stripes off for a while to give me time to acertain whether or not I want to do that again. I've been seriously thinking about putting white sidewalls on and garaging the BF Goodrich Radial TAs, but I don't know if I have the balls to go showroom that far...yet. My other stumbling block, is that my car was featured in the movie "Bounty Killer" with wing, stripes, and fat tires, and I'm not sure if I should remove anything, if it would make the car more desireable to be "as filmed".

Here's another 60s/70s look....Cragars WITH whitewalls, as done on my drag hydro trailer.

Boat Racers Reunion Photos 2005 June.doc

Attachments

• Boat Racers Reunion Photos 2005 June.doc
    133.5 KB · Views: 10
..., so today, it seems a car that is authentic to how it was delivered, without owner added options, is RARE.

I couldn't agree more!

Ray
Add me to that list too. However, I don't mind a few period correct add ons like rear window slats and CB antenna. Ok, I'm just kidding about the antenna but still you know many, many of the cars from the 70s had them.

Here's another 60s/70s look....Cragars WITH whitewalls, as done on my drag hydro trailer.
Those white walls look sweet with the Cragars on the boat trailer. That wouldn't be a bad look for the car, either... but I doubt anybody makes white walls in 295/50 series. ;) :D

No one may make them but there is a company I used in SC that took whatever tire you like and added whatever size whitewall to the tire. I need to post some pics on the 15 inch tires on the Mach 1 I sold.

I was bored today so read through the entire thread and did not see one option mentioned. I seem to recall when I ordered my Mach 1 that you could get an block heater for the cold weather areas. I was thinking that was the only option I did not get on my car. Yes there are variations like auto or 4 speed and AM , AM/FM or AM/ 8 track.

Another option I have not seen in the thread was the floor mats with the carpet inserts. You could order the fronts from factory for $13.30 and they were called Front Color-keyed floor mats. The matching rear were a dealer option that I also have. I don't think I saw the leather wrapped steering wheel that was a $23.10 option.

My car has 27 factory installed options and count another 7 dealer ones that I got, front spoiler, door edge guards, rear carpeted floor mats to match front, ram air, locking spare tire, dual point centrifugal advance distributor and dealer undercoating shown on the original order. I have never got a Marty on this car he charges too much and I have the original order, window sticker and the dealer invoice to show it is original.

David

Mine came with the rear defroster - but between the switch being broken off (just like the 'vert top switches always do) and half the lines across the glass being broken, I just pulled it and replaced with a non-defroster back light I'd harvested from a '72 parts car.

Don had mentioned how it could be repaired and made to work again, but honestly - I'm in Texas. If I ever need to use a defroster, it most likely won't be the one on the Mustang. ;)

You do know there are repair methods for the printed circuit on the glass. Over the years people scratch the strips and they do not work if the circuit is broken. They have a bottle of material that is glue with I think silver mixed in to make the connections back. You can get good money for the glass, wiring and relay. You can get a convertible switch and make the repairs to the broken one also. I have several NOS switches because I broke mine about the first month I had the car. You catch you pants leg on them or I did with long legs.

David

One might be the rear window defroster and the seat back release feature.

Mustang7173

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hear the seat release is pretty rare.

It is listed as an option in the wiring

diagram of my optional convenience

package. It is an option of an option

which has to be rare.

mike

I was bored today so read through the entire thread and did not see one option mentioned. I seem to recall when I ordered my Mach 1 that you could get an block heater for the cold weather areas. I was thinking that was the only option I did not get on my car. Yes there are variations like auto or 4 speed and AM , AM/FM or AM/ 8 track.

Another option I have not seen in the thread was the floor mats with the carpet inserts. You could order the fronts from factory for $13.30 and they were called Front Color-keyed floor mats. The matching rear were a dealer option that I also have. I don't think I saw the leather wrapped steering wheel that was a $23.10 option.

My car has 27 factory installed options and count another 7 dealer ones that I got, front spoiler, door edge guards, rear carpeted floor mats to match front, ram air, locking spare tire, dual point centrifugal advance distributor and dealer undercoating shown on the original order. I have never got a Marty on this car he charges too much and I have the original order, window sticker and the dealer invoice to show it is original.

David

I got the mats but not sure if they are original. Here a photo of the mat. Not sure if there a date code there or not.

IMG_0290.JPG

John J

Back