which are the rarest options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with you on that Mike, I do feel a huge sense of responsibility to keep my car on the road. My plan is to pass this car onto my son, he is 8 now so I have a few more years to enjoy driving it and making improvements along the way.

White vinyl roof on sportsroof/mach 1 cars has to be pretty rare. I've seen a number of black ones, but only know of a few white ones.
Mine had a white one....On a red Mach 1...lol..Which im sure is kinda rare and odd color combo ;) But dont know if rarest.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about the Spare tire Lock?

How about the Spare tire Lock? For 1973

Parted out a 73 Grande - every option and lots of rust. It had cruise control that looked to be factory. It looked to well done to be a dealer installed kit. All of the wire harnesses had the little FOMOCO stickers on them and were part of the main harness. It had a two spoke steering wheel with the cruise control buttons on the ends of the center pad.

I did not think much about it at the time and did not bother to try to pull it before we junked the shell.

hmmm........

Paul

Mach 1 convertibles certainly are rare, seeing as how Ford made zero examples of it. "05" is the body code for Mach 1, "03" the code for convertibles...can't have 2 body codes on one car.
I guess this is really rare to find a 72 dash with the seat belt light in a 71 that was built in 70.

Kit\'s 71.jpg

Mine ended up 1 of 1 because of the combination of options as well. 275 traction lock, rear window defroster, intermittent wipers, forged aluminum wheels, etc. etc. Not hard to believe that all combined resulted in a single '73.

Mach 1 convertibles certainly are rare, seeing as how Ford made zero examples of it. "05" is the body code for Mach 1, "03" the code for convertibles...can't have 2 body codes on one car.
I guess this is really rare to find a 72 dash with the seat belt light in a 71 that was built in 70.
+ 1

According to Marti's Mustang by the Numbers, Ram Air appears to be the rarest option. however, he doesn't breakout all the options unless he's using them to see if a car a 1 of 1.

If i were to bet on this I'd go with intermittent wipers as the least installed option on our cars. However, I did see one Marti report for a 73 exported mustang that had "Delete Belts" as an option listed.

The Deluxe Belts/Warning Light option came on not many but still a good number of 71 models.

Not so rare to find 72 parts in my 71: my car has been in two severe typically car-killing smash-ups and several lesser fender-benders over the years. I have replaced lots of stuff with bone-yard parts ( sometimes from 72s, sometimes even 73).

If I had known how valuable these cars would end up being today, I would have taken better care of it over the years.

72 doghouse, a 73 door, 72 dash panels, 73 console, 73 upper dash, chinese quarters, trunk floor, back panel and valance panels, repro spoilers, home-made ram-air base ( original stolen by tow company after accident), repro Magnums, etc...

If my car was low mileage and all original, I think it would probably be worth twice what it is now, if not more.

But, even though its a 350,000 mile mongrel, it looks and drives great and I love it. Its a keeper.

My 72 Mach1 has deluxe interior, ram air. fold down rear seat, space saver spare, seat locks, map light, courtesy under dash lights, seat belt and park warning lights, and the under trunk and hood lights. I wish I had a/c though.:(

I wonder if the lock was a part of the convenience group or if it was a separate add on type option. The glove box lock keyed to match the trunk key was a part of the convenience group option. It seems reasonable that a matching keyed spare tire lock would also be a part of that larger option package. If so was that a 71-73 option or just one or two of those years.

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Don (OMS) please post a pic of this mystery lock in your posession and share your knowledge.

I've got for for you... the 15" steel wheels with trim rings and dog dish hubcaps on cars other than the Boss 351. Only seen that on one car and Marti Report so far.

DSCN3318 (2).jpg

I wonder if the lock was a part of the convenience group or if it was a separate add on type option. The glove box lock keyed to match the trunk key was a part of the convenience group option. It seems reasonable that a matching keyed spare tire lock would also be a part of that larger option package. If so was that a 71-73 option or just one or two of those years.

:worthlesswithoutpics:

Don (OMS) please post a pic of this mystery lock in your posession and share your knowledge.
Here you go. This is what mine looks like. It locks with the truck key.There also a photo on page 17 on the 1973 ford dealer guide and its part of the protection group.

John J

Back