Which belt goes where in the pulley?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You guys are aware there are different size V belts as in different width/depth right? In Australia they are designated 10A, 11A and 13A can all come in the same length but are all different widths/depths for different pulleys. In the US I think they are A, B, C, D sizes?
and some DDD :D

OK pics always help, right? This is what I'm looking at:

What's missing from the water pump shaft, if anything (except the fan)? Anything look weird or wrong? Roy's directions sound like they should work, but there aren't two grooves for the water pump "pulley".

Just looked at all the pictures I took, and the pulley system seemed so mundane that I didn't take any pictures of it, and the Haynes manual shows a 302 as an example. :mad:

help......
Is that a spacer I see behind the long bolt through the power steering pump bracket (that mounts to the head)? I removed mine over 2 years ago and forgot all about it. I rehabbed my brackets, picked up a new pump and hoses, and even test-fitted everything on Sunday, but [apparently] with no spacer the pump rides against the shock tower.

Believe it or not Doc, your pictures have been especially valuable to me (in getting my bracketry back in order).
there is a spacer

is yours with a/c

or without?

Don

What's missing from the water pump shaft, if anything (except the fan)? Anything look weird or wrong? Roy's directions sound like they should work, but there aren't two grooves for the water pump "pulley".

Just looked at all the pictures I took, and the pulley system seemed so mundane that I didn't take any pictures of it, and the Haynes manual shows a 302 as an example. :mad:

help......
Is that a spacer I see behind the long bolt through the power steering pump bracket (that mounts to the head)? I removed mine over 2 years ago and forgot all about it. I rehabbed my brackets, picked up a new pump and hoses, and even test-fitted everything on Sunday, but [apparently] with no spacer the pump rides against the shock tower.

Believe it or not Doc, your pictures have been especially valuable to me (in getting my bracketry back in order).
there is a spacer

is yours with a/c

or without?

Don
My car came 'without' factory air. (Although I've recently purchased a Classic Auto Air Perfect Fit Elite system).

I'm going to look through all of the bins of pieces/parts I've removed and see if I still have mine. (I actually found my original alternator bracket after I received the one I bought)

What I actually DO need, is an alternator pulley - my car did not have an alternator on it at all (just the brackets, apparently).

Here is the setup on my '71 351C 4V.

The A/C was removed years ago.

mike
Same as my 72 4V w/air #1 closest to block PS and waterpump and crank

#2 middle Alt and crank

#3 A/C

DSCN2020.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

help......

Thanks, Eric! I'm glad you have found them helpful, and I admire the progress your making with your car.

Appreciate the note, Doc!

Apparently, the power steering pump bracket spacer issue worked itself out. The Classic Auto Air compressor bracket is 5/16" thick on its own, and has 3/8"-ish spacers to the heads for its purposes as well... and since the lower bolt happens to be the long 'head' bolt through the PS bracket - BONUS!

My pal Jim told me of his spare '80 Bronco alternator and its single-groove pulley - and that he'd get back to me on digging it out of the garage. So, I'm not sure if I still need an alternator pulley or not... :S

Back