why?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Oldest Brother purchased His 72 Mach 1 Q code brand new. I loved that car as a kid, I was 6 years old. I grew up with that car literally and when it came time to get my first car it was My 72 Mach 1. I don't really care what Mike from Mikes Classic Cars in Blair Nebraska thinks because I don't even know who that is. All I know is that I love these cars, always have and I have found out because of this web sight that The owners of these cars are pretty cool too.

This really strikes a nerve with me! Firstly I really do like my 73 convertible and yes, I would take offense to somebody calling my car down as I would never do anything like that EVER!!! A few years back (about 30 or so) I had a Cobra II with a rebuilt 289 in it and yeah it went like stink lol, but no mattter where I went everybody said things

like, Nice Pinto or some reference to a Pinto, that car was so much fun and sounded so good, but when I went to buy another one a few years back, the same comments still surfaced!!! So I decded against buying one beacuse I didnt know about resale if I needed to. Anyway, my story for what it is worth!

alot of "mustang" guys are simply followers, posers if you will. They want only what they see others with and are envious of. They want to be like this guy or that guy. Us, this crowd, we are the exact opposites.

I get the same thing with the Lightning crowd. The gen 1 Lightning's suck.... LOL. last I checked, the only made 11,000 GEN 1 Lightnings. Mine is one of 824 black lightning built in 95.

The point I'm making is that our cars are probably some of the lowest #s overall. Add to the fact they are the last of the true Muscle Cars.

I see 60's and early 70's Mustangs like new cars. It's cool, but that's about it. For me, seeing and owning something that is super rare and making it all my own is where it's at.

My .02

I was told that my body style was a boat anchor.
I woulda responded with something like "Yes, the design certainly is a radical departure from the previous generation of secretary cars isn't it."

(Quoting from Carroll Shelby: "John, I’ve been given an impossible job by Lee Iacocca. He wants me to take a secretary’s car and turn it into a sports car. What do you think ought to be done?")

We, the bastard, red-headed step-children that carry the mighty Mustang name like an anchor around our necks. Forever chained to the Shelbys and movie remake Eleanors and '64 1/2 coupes. We declare our independence from ignorant, arrogant "enthusiasts", and hereby pledge allegiance to big bodies, Clevelands (and their brethren), and all whose minds are open to the beauty of the 1971 - 1973 Mustangs, in all of their modified and concours diversity. Long live the Big Bodied Mustang!!! :exclamation::exclamation::exclamation:

Doc

And considering how fast THIS site has grown. There are lots of people who like this car.
BINGO!!:)

Depending on my mood my response may have been..Well I respect your opinion but you know the famous saying..Opinions are like a@#$%^ & everybody has one...Maybe you should think about adding a 71-73 to your collection since every real collector I know has 1 ...

There is a well known shop in Germany that sell Mustang parts and the owner once told me on phone that he hardly had any parts for our cars. That was about 6 or 7 yeas ago, when 71-73 parts were still scarce.

That would have been no problem if he hadn't gone and added that he thought that was ok, because in his opinion our Mustangs were not supposed to be considered classics anyway.....!

Well screw him and his shop. I have since not shopped at his place, although meanwhile he carries all the parts that have become available.

Let them talk. I don't wanna diss anyone, but I have to admit that I have grown tired of the sight of so called "classic" 64-68s. You just see them everywhere!

I don't even bother to turn around anymore if one of those passes by on the street, except for when it is really well made, which most aren't. Those guys tend to stay all original with factory specs.

I mean that's ok, it just does not rock my boat.

Every year we have a pretty nice American car show, here around Frankfurt / Germany.

And the show is packed with 64-70 Mustangs, but guess who has the most people staying around there cars.

Exactly, we are only three with 71-73 Stangs and the people killing us with questions about our cars and everybody like it much more than the - so called - classic ones.

I get so many tumbs up when I'm riding my car, I personally give a damm what other people think.

My father (now deceased) would describe enjoyment of a vehicle is related to smiles per mile.

I'd bet those "thumbs-up" are accompanied by some serious smiles...

'nuff said.

Ray

I like them all..Even the dreaded mustang ii...lol...I cant be that close minded about cars like some...I can see a good looking stang in every year.
It's statements like that that show the quality and class this forum and it's members have. :D

Rich

I like them all..Even the dreaded mustang ii...lol...I cant be that close minded about cars like some...I can see a good looking stang in every year.
It's statements like that that show the quality and class this forum and it's members have. :D

Rich
{thumbs up} I think this forum has the greatest mix of folks i ever seen on a car site...Think 71-73 mustang owners are less bias over all..lol

I celebrate anyone who is into the car hobby. I don't care if it is classics, off roads, low riders or even the fast/furious crowd. I think it is great they are 'into' their car.

If you really want to have fun next time just tell them 'Well, once they didn't have the falcon platform to stick new sheet metal on to, they were free to build them how they should have been done.' ;)

Those people need to see the fine cars on this site.......I wish those members were around during a parade I entered to see the women running out to the car & hear their positive comments........I'm close to being 67 yrs old so you know they weren't making them about me lol

I think I have the only 73 Mach 1 in my car club, that I am aware of. It may be true that some folks may not like this body style, but there are those that don't like Fox bodies or Mustang 2's either. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My car is nicknamed the "Man magnet" for a reason, because it draws so much attention. Anyway, the only opinion that really matters is yours.:)

Every time I walk past my 73 convertible in the garage I stop to look .... the car just gets sexier all the time. Now my car doesn't have a new paint job and it sure has collected it's fair share of door dings over 39 years but I drive it every day that I can and I enjoy it. Someone said to me once at a show that our cars are the one's that he always remembers as the best Mustangs....That just made me grin when I saw he was driving a 67 fastback!

Our local Mustang club is full of that type of arrogant jerks. I had a membership for 1 year and heard way too many comments. I found a local general interest car club and get WAY more respect.

Hey I'm just a cool car guy who prefers my 71-73 Mustang.

I think the disrespect we get from the general Mustang community is a great part of what makes this site so fantastic to be a part of.

I have literally never heard in person someone making negative comments about our cars, just on the Internet. I went to a mustang club of America show once and there were actually quite a few of 71-73's there.

I've never bothered joinin a mustang club myself, just not my style. All the thumbs up and good comments I get when driving make me feel like I've got my own fan club anyways.

That attitude goes way back to the 1980s in the heyday of Mustang restoration and I think it's the reason very few of the 71-73 cars were restored. Look at a big Mustang show and you'll find rows and rows of 65-70s (it's almost boring there's so many!) but almost no 71-73s. Our cars are going up in value quicker too as a result. Who's laughing now?

I overheard a guy at a general classic car show that said he can't stand old Mustangs because

they are too easy to restore. Hell, you can buy every damn part brand new! (I had to agree for the 65-70 models)

Last edited by a moderator:
20 - 30 years ago the 71 - 73 were the 'red-headed' children no one wanted to discuss insofar as national mustang organizations. They were almost grouped in with the 74 - 78 Mustangs II. NOTE: I only attended one Carlise Ford weekend with the car back in 1999 after I discovered the 71 - 73's were included with the 74 - 78 Mustang II's. At thetime it was popular vote and all the awards went to 74 - 78 cars.

The past ten years have seen a superlative growth in both appreciation and interest on both national and 'magazine' levels. The engineering and resulting chassis improvements are becoming more well known.

My personal experience is that whenever I drive my 73 Blue glow vert into cruise nites, it gets as much attention or more as any other pony car of the era on the lot. I cannot tell you how many people have said to me " I never knew there were Mustangs that looked like this!"

These days it seems like that line from Gumball Rally (and I paraphrase); " Some things get better with age...!"

Back