why?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I woulda responded with something like "Yes, the design certainly is a radical departure from the previous generation of secretary cars isn't it."
Very Funny, Right On.

Learning a lot about how cool my car really is.

mike

The past ten years have seen a superlative growth in both appreciation and interest on both national and 'magazine' levels. The engineering and resulting chassis improvements are becoming more well known.
They made a lot of changes in '71. Just try and buy parts:p

I have owned numerous cars over the years and this is the most fun to drive, ever. It has superb handling characteristics and tons

of power.

mike

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot tell you how many people have said to me " I never knew there were Mustangs that looked like this!"
I enjoy seeing people surprised that my car is a Mustang. A couple of months ago I stopped at a neighboring town to get a bottle of drink from the shop. The shop I stopped in front of was closed so I walked down to another one about half a block away. On the way back I was passing a lady at an automated teller machine - the lady's husband, a guy in his fifties, was just walking up to his his wife after having a look at my car. With a voice that contained a definite higher pitch of amazement I heard the bloke say to his wife "It's a Mustang! I thought Mustangs were small cars, but that thing is HUGE, it's like a BEAST!!"

That made my day ::laugh::

I agree with droptop73, LEMMINGS!!! They want to use the same thing as everyone else. That's why you see so many people sticking Chevies in vintage Fords and Chryslers and why so many people live in "smurfsville". Have you ever repainted your house a different color combination and within a few months neighbors have copied you? LEMMINGS!!!

I have to agree with the Lemmings comment. Why run with the crowd, why not stand apart and say " this is what I like and to #$$%%^^ with yu all". It would be a very boring world if everyone liked the same thing.:)

When I drive the 65 the comments at the gas station are nice car...I had one of those back in______. when I drive a Mach 1 I get Rock Star status. Everyone is looking at it. The kids love to point out how many people aren't looking at the car.

Btw, I painted the 65 blue because almost all the 65s (especially the convertibles) are now red...even though mine was originally red. I hate being just like everyone else.

Btw #2, my favorite Mustang years are 65 & 71 but you can tell by my sig which I prefer.

Don't let it get to you.... I get the same treatment from every club I have ever been in... So I just stoped join up for the clubs.... I think its kind of nice that at the local car show i attend, I usally have the only 71-73 Mustang there... Does not bother me.

My answer may have gone something like this...

Oh...that makes me less of a Mustang owner because the wheel base is less than one inch longer than the 1970 or is it because the car is less than 3 inches wider or would you consider me to be a dumbazz[/align] person because the actual length of the car is SHORTER than a 1970.... OR wait I know it is BECAUSE the 71 is ONE TENTH taller than a 1970?? Wow sure glad I learned that today...

then walk away

now back in the day as a ripe young lad of 14 I was a slave worker on a 66 for my brothers. Rode in my first 69 Big Block car that really got me hooked. I thought Ford was out of their mind for ruining the Mustang in 71. Now of course I look at Black Betty and she is actually a much smaller car than the appearance. Some cat back in the day had dreams of futuristic style and frankly the more you look at them their sexy and aggressive. I've been to Mustang America...with my convertible...didnt like the people. Been to "Mustang Clubs" same experience as you guys. I now belong to Blast from the Past Street Machines, we have everything. I like it when the guys say "hey next Saturday are you bringing the convertible or that dang dragster" . Often their second comment...hey bring that dang dragster I want my buddy to see that. (their are only 2 in our club)

The local Mustang club I joined are a bunch of really good people and I enjoy the cruises and get togethers but my 71 Mach1 (the only 71-73 in the club) gets much more respect and attention from the local Classic Muscle Car Club I joined. When someone mentions classic Mustang muscle car the first thing that springs to my mind are the 69-73's. I believe the 71-73's have never been more desirable than they currently are, the only ones still resisting them are some who are loyal to the earlier smaller Mustangs and "Pinto" owners.

I dig muscle cars. Period. (I ended the word period with a period.......)

Chevy, Ford, Mopar, OPB, I love them all.

I love V8's. I love burning rubber and rumbling exhaust.

I love the smell of leaded gasoline and carbs running rich.

I love cars that were made out of steel, were made to go fast and look damn good doing it.

I've met that guy you are talking about. Not that specific individual, but that stereotype guy.

That guy has a 65 - 70 Mustang every time.

He's not the Chevy guy mind you. Chevy guy can't stand anything that doesn't have a bowtie. Chevy guy dislikes every year of Mustang. He dislikes Mopar too. He is an equal opportunity discriminator. He doesn't think your car sucks because it's a big body. He thinks it sucks because it's not a Chevy.

The guy who thinks the big body mustang is ugly and a boat, but loves the 1st gen mustang is a bigger dick than Chevy guy.

It's pretty interesting to me, but my Mach is the 3rd muscle car I've owned, and if you counted up all the thumbs up and nice car comments I got on my 68 fastback and combined them with all the same comments I received while driving my 68 Camaro and multiplied them by 10, you still wouldn't be in the ballpark of the positive remarks I've got just in the last year of driving my Mach.

I have seen in person exactly three 71-73 Mustangs including mine in the state of Utah. The couple of times I've taken it to a drive in or car show, it has been a huge hit with the crowd. It seems that most of the time even Chevy will appreciate it, if not for it's beauty than at least for its rarity. I'd personally rather park next to any car other than a 1st gen mustang if at a show. Not because I don't love those cars, I think they are simply beautiful, but because that guy that you ran into is going to be there. I can't stand that guy and don't feel like I need to argue with him. If he can't see a beautiful car when it's staring him in the face, then he's too damn stupid to try to talk with anyway.

I dig muscle cars. Period. (I ended the word period with a period.......)

Chevy, Ford, Mopar, OPB, I love them all.

I love V8's. I love burning rubber and rumbling exhaust.

I love the smell of leaded gasoline and carbs running rich.

I love cars that were made out of steel, were made to go fast and look damn good doing it.

I've met that guy you are talking about. Not that specific individual, but that stereotype guy.

That guy has a 65 - 70 Mustang every time.

He's not the Chevy guy mind you. Chevy guy can't stand anything that doesn't have a bowtie. Chevy guy dislikes every year of Mustang. He dislikes Mopar too. He is an equal opportunity discriminator. He doesn't think your car sucks because it's a big body. He thinks it sucks because it's not a Chevy.

The guy who thinks the big body mustang is ugly and a boat, but loves the 1st gen mustang is a bigger dick than Chevy guy.

It's pretty interesting to me, but my Mach is the 3rd muscle car I've owned, and if you counted up all the thumbs up and nice car comments I got on my 68 fastback and combined them with all the same comments I received while driving my 68 Camaro and multiplied them by 10, you still wouldn't be in the ballpark of the positive remarks I've got just in the last year of driving my Mach.

I have seen in person exactly three 71-73 Mustangs including mine in the state of Utah. The couple of times I've taken it to a drive in or car show, it has been a huge hit with the crowd. It seems that most of the time even Chevy will appreciate it, if not for it's beauty than at least for its rarity. I'd personally rather park next to any car other than a 1st gen mustang if at a show. Not because I don't love those cars, I think they are simply beautiful, but because that guy that you ran into is going to be there. I can't stand that guy and don't feel like I need to argue with him. If he can't see a beautiful car when it's staring him in the face, then he's too damn stupid to try to talk with anyway.
{thumbs up} My freind who helps me and i help him from time too time..Is a big chevy guy...And was abit anti mustang ...but after getting him around my car alot..And he helped me remove my motor...We started taking it apart and he started reseaching it a bit...He started falling out of his chevy only love..And what really put a nail in the coffin...He went over too a chevy dealership to buy a new camaro when they come out..Or a used vett...He told them he had 35,000 on credit ready to spend..They chevy dealer..turned around and walked away from him!! Like if he didnt have 50,000..Dont even try to make a deal with us!!...lol..He walked over too the ford dealership next door...And got into a 2006 gt mustang with super low miles and didnt even blow his wad....he drove by the chevy dealership burning rubber..lol.He loves that car..lol...he still a chevy guy at heart...But he has alot of respect for mustangs now..and argu's and stands up for mustangs now infront of chevy guys who dont know any better..lol

I've been to allot of car shows since the late 90's. In my experience, I've always seen at least one or two 71-73's. It wasn't until after seeing the original Gone in 60 Seconds I took a closer look. They are definetely attention grabbers and crowd pleasers wherever I've gone. The local club, The Mustang Car Club of New England, has always had no shortage of 71-73's. I went to two of their shows years back, 2002 and 2003 when they had a summer show at Rodman Ford (this was when Rodman was still across from Gilette Stadium, they've since moved further south on Rte. 1) and there were a few 71-73's, all in good condition. After years of abscene I went to two of their shows last year. A great turnout overall, and plenty of 71-73's.

They are a great club too. They always have a class for non-Mustang Fords. They call it the Ford Family class. I brought my uncle's 64 to both shows. I was late to first show but they gave me the opertunity to get the car ready for judging. I didn't win, but they were very polite, I got plenty of complements of the car, and I went away impressed by the experience.

I went to the second show later in the year. Got there early. I was a bit miffed at the judges that handled the Ford Family, judging only half of the cars that were there. I wasn't cleaning the car at the time and the car met all their prequisits to be judged (Doors closed and unlocked, windows closed, trunk open and empty, hood up, ID card on windshield). I went up to registration twice and they kept saying they'd be back over. It was getting later and the nice old lady from the club selling the 50/50 raffle came over. She asked how I liked the show and said it was ok, and mentioned how my car and several others weren't judged yet. She went right over to the judges, and there was a judge right there judging the rest of Ford family. I won along with several other Ford Family cars.

Here's the kicker. They also had a class most unusual Ford collector car that same show. The car that won this award was a Tempo. It also won in Ford Family. Here's what really made it unusual: It was a 93 Tempo, 2 door, Red, the newly optional 3.0L V6, 5 speed stick, the car was immaculate, it was damn near fully loaded. To each his/her own.

It's interesting that I have noticed that at Mustang shows and even driving through store parking lots that my 73 convertible gets a lot of attention from the ladies and the younger generation. It's like the men are programmed not to let on they like the 71/73 body style. I was driving it through the Wal Mart parking lot on Saturday and a middle-aged couple were walking toward me; the lady pointed and I heard her say that was a nice looking Mustang, the man didn't even look over! Go figure.

Funny Ole Pony....... I've noticed the younger kids check these cars out. Women check them out.... guys PRETEND we are not even there. Here's the ones I like, I've rolled up by newer Mustangs. Guys LOOK straight ahead as if that loud azz Cleveland thumping theres no tomorrow. They look straight ahead :huh: and if you dont hear my car.... YOUR DEAF!!:D

There's a guy bout my age with a decent older restore 57. I've sat by him TWICE at a light. Doesnt even look over.

Funny Ole Pony....... I've noticed the younger kids check these cars out. Women check them out.... guys PRETEND we are not even there. Here's the ones I like, I've rolled up by newer Mustangs. Guys LOOK straight ahead as if that loud azz Cleveland thumping theres no tomorrow. They look straight ahead :huh: and if you dont hear my car.... YOUR DEAF!!:D

There's a guy bout my age with a decent older restore 57. I've sat by him TWICE at a light. Doesnt even look over.
I run into that with alot of mid 70's vett drivers...lol...Im allways tring to race them or atleast pedal play a little with them...And they will look away or strait forward..Not even a train hitting them in the side would make them look my way....Like im not there...I know the truth...their afraid of this big flash car with all the fins and loud motor...lmao

We have the original gone in 60 seconds car.

There the ones with the REMAKE!

Anyone with a 67 or 68 fastback tries to make the new eleanor or at least it crossed thoer minds.

They look ok, but there are too many out there.

I like how its hard to find parts for our cars too. Cant even get a reproduction door for.our cars but you can buy a whole new body for a 67-70. Wheres the fun in that? Id rather beat myself to.death searching the u.s. for parts that are not reproduced. Ive done it and had fun doing it. In my opinion, its harder to restore a 71-3 due to part avaliability but to me thats what makes a restoration fun at the end of the day.

Back