WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_9040.PNGThanks guys. I wanted to keep it recognizably mustang so I took my inspiration from the 70 Boss 302 and flipped it. I like the way the 70 stripe comes down the fender but I figured since the 71 has all that nose realestate I flipped the hood stripe to start at the windshield and move forward and down in front of the tire instead of behind the front tire. I figured that was Ford's idea with the 71 Mach 1 stripe. They were doing the same thing as the 69 Boss 302 reverse "C" stripe only they took it to the nose on the 71 making it longer like the car.

IMG_9044.PNGThey basically used the painted out rocker to create the lower stripe.

Wide-body71.....I think you are going to be my new best friend. And you are only a few Provinces East from me.

You are doing an amazing job on your Mustang. Can not wait to see it done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wide-body71.....I think you are going to be my new best friend. And you are only a few Provinces East from me.

Thanks buddy. I might be out that way this coming July. Family trip.

Thanks buddy. I might be out that way this coming July. Family trip.

Nice. Alberta is still awesome even if the economy has crashed.

IMG_9518.PNGIMG_9527.PNGHi all. I know this isn't the forum to show this car but working on it has given me ideas to step up the build on the 71. It also stole some parts from the 71 ( FI system/ distributor) so I can buy some updated pieces instead and chose to add air conditioning as well. I may mess around with Lexan for the rear glass and may finish the wheels in a similar fashion. I gave myself 4 weeks to get complete and done with the Cobra in my spare time and then it's 3 weeks of "full time job" on the 71 over the holidays. Maybe be even ready to paint if I'm good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_9528.PNGJust for giggles I put the wheel and tire from the Cobra in front of the 71 and I'm loving it. Still using the same set up that I bought for the 71 but painting it all up differently for that nasty race look.

Keep up the good work. You are motivating me to think outside the box on my build.

IMG_9996.JPGFinally back on the 71. Just swapping out the old disc brake setup for the new ones. Waiting on lower ball joints and outer rod ends for the front. Monday I start making all the returns and mounting points for the rear panels. Keep you posted on that.

IMG_9894.JPGAlso kicking around the idea of opening up two grill holes under the bumper. Not sure if I want to direct venting to the brakes or pop in some lights but I like the updated and aggressive appearance. Opinions welcome.

I like the open look on the sides. How about some indirect neon turn signal lighting in the holes that can then double as brake vents. I know a little turn of the century trendy old school but not any more wild than a clear hood scoop. Lol. Looking good. I hope to get started on my rear panel real soon had a little time set back as antique store got a little busy for the holidays.

Also kicking around the idea of opening up two grill holes under the bumper. Not sure if I want to direct venting to the brakes or pop in some lights but I like the updated and aggressive appearance. Opinions welcome.
Yes, to the additional openings. The single opening always looked, to me, like a caricature of a shark/fish mouth. The 3 openings look good together...lights would look great! Happy New Year Angelo!

Happy new year Angelo!

Looks good with the openings. I'd leave them open. If you fill them with some sort of lights... well they're no longer open. Maybe put a horizontal bar in them like the openings on the front of a 1970 Mustang or like they did with the headlights on the 2005 GTR?

IMG_7851.JPG

Happy New Year to all of you as well. Health and Happiness to you and your loved ones. Thanks for the inputs. As for the car, I will open them up and likely duct and grill them.

Back