WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0248.JPGNew control arms, tierod ends and 13" brakes installed. Next I need to make up a pair of cables to support the hanging weight of the front suspension and tires so that the car can be lifted without damaging the coilover shocks. Then back on the body.

Blacking out a Lexan glass. Thought I'd post it for anyone who's interested.

IMG_0335.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

I used 1-1/4" tape for spacing then followed behind it with the green edging tape. Won't bleed like regular tape. Of course all this is done on the interior of the glass. When painting make sure they are light coats and chase the paint with a heat gun always keeping the gun moving. This is how I paint my wheels. Flashes off the silver quickly avoiding the wrinkle that can happen with building layers quickly. Also if you think it's black enough it probably isn't. If you peel back a corner of protection from the underside you'll see if it's still transparent. Hope this was helpful to someone. I think I'm going this way on the 71. This is an abrssion resistant surface and not hard to work with.

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0332.JPG

IMG_0333.JPG

Green Goblin is finished. I have a few days of work ahead of me to take care of my customers and then I can pick up where I left off with the 71. I'm looking forward to having all my focus in one place.

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0370.JPG

IMG_0387.JPG

IMG_0353.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Green Goblin is finished. I have a few days of work ahead of me to take care of my customers and then I can pick up where I left off with the 71. I'm looking forward to having all my focus in one place.

Sweet mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are two awesome cars parked beside each other. It'll be really awesome when the two are side by side on the floor with the mustang also sporting new paint, lol. Nice work on the cobra.

Beautiful car, looking forward to seeing the Mustang with some paint. Ryan

That is some beautiful work buddy! That is the exact same thing I was thinking about doing to my front and rear glass :)
So your going with Lexan rear glass and up front too. Cool. Rear seems a little easier since it's flatter for the urethane to keep it down but the front could be difficult. What thickness are you thinking? Are you able to curve it and keep it there? The Cobra is obviously bolted down and although I love that look I'm not sure I want to be forced to do that to the 71. I may want to but I don't want to be forced to. Any recommendations?

I have used lexan in several instances. The main difference between it and plexy's characteristic is how it's bendable. I have bent it and it holds that shape. It helps some to warm it with a hair dryer. I have been successful bending it even in a 90% angle. I used it on a chopped Chevy luv windshield once. Also on the rear of a 69 vette with an Ekler can am fastback body kit. it doesn't like wipers, lol. It will scuff up. You may already know this but I thought I'd throw it out there.

I went with Makrolon abrasion resistant polycarbonate. Quite expensive but I think worth it. However because of its mar resistant film you don't want to be bending it too much. All these different plastics have their place but they also have their drawbacks. Plexiglass would be fine I suppose for side or rear glass but as for a windshield It would be very dangerous since it shatters. Lexan MR 10 or Makrolon Abrasion resistant is considered security glass and would never break even with a sledgehammer. A 1/4" piece 28"x32" of basic Makrolon is $56. Make it the abrasion resistant version and it jumps to $288. It may yellow after 10 yrs but can be polished out. 1/8" sheet is sufficient and less expensive but is still quite flexible. It is what I used for the back of the Cobra. However a little bouncy. Basically, a little bit of homework and you can put together the right combination I suppose.

That is some beautiful work buddy! That is the exact same thing I was thinking about doing to my front and rear glass :)
So your going with Lexan rear glass and up front too. Cool. Rear seems a little easier since it's flatter for the urethane to keep it down but the front could be difficult. What thickness are you thinking? Are you able to curve it and keep it there? The Cobra is obviously bolted down and although I love that look I'm not sure I want to be forced to do that to the 71. I may want to but I don't want to be forced to. Any recommendations?
Haha sorry, I think I did explaine it wrong :D What I ment was that the black stripe you made around the glass, that was the way I want to go with mine. I will try to see if the original glass does have the exactly right shape when I am done with the frames or else I'll might try the same as you have done with lexan glass :)

IMG_0498.JPGcomputer image of a custom one piece tail light panel.

A work in progress. Still have to deal with around the light bezels. My friend Marco is doing a killer job on it. Man's got skills

IMG_0583.PNG

IMG_0584.PNG

Even a flat spot in the honeycomb for the emblem

That small flat spot was the first thing I saw. Those are the little details that separate the great jobs from the good ones. Those tell you that someone is looking at the smallest details. Great job!

Thanks Mike. When talent meets fussy you get Marco. This car will be better than where I can take it because of the involvement of my friends

Back