• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - 71 Convetible decklid

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking for a good used '71 convertible decklid.  Bonus points for spoiler mounting holes and torsion springs.
Mike, I think I have a 71 in Green and a 73 in red.  Let me check tomorrow and get pictures.  No spoiler holes though, but can get the torsion springs.

Looking for a good used '71 convertible decklid.  Bonus points for spoiler mounting holes and torsion springs.
Mike, I think I have a 71 in Green and a 73 in red.  Let me check tomorrow and get pictures.  No spoiler holes though, but can get the torsion springs.
Turns out I have a red one (without spoiler holes) and a white one (with handmade spoiler holes).  Both have good seams and a little surface rust underneath, but no dents.   The holes for the spoiler are pretty big and not done cleanly underneath - see pictures.

IMG_6966.jpg

View attachment 41245

View attachment 41246

View attachment 41247

View attachment 41248

View attachment 41249

View attachment 41250

Thanks for the photos.  I think I want to go with something a little cleaner to start.
That red one locks pretty clean to me

Just out of curiosity, was the spoiler offered on coupes? Always assumed it was an "owner option".

[i want to go with something a little cleaner to start]

Clean doesn't mean solid, plus you need to sand it to bare metal anyway for a proper paint. If you don't, make sure you use a good primer that will isolate potential reaction of new paint on the old layers. And you need to sand for the primer too. Same applies to e-coated repops.

The red one seams a pretty good candidate to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
No spoiler on verts or coupes. Not even the Spring Specials got a spoiler.

The holes do fall inside the reinforcement and I have one that PO put spoiler on. His holes look like crap also. You can take a air grinder and round out the hole to look better but was never meant to be.

I have a couple trunks also. A 71 will have the holes for the MUSTANG letters. 72 & 73 have the script Mustang on the right side.

Ok ok - what do you want for the red one?
I'm not forcing you here! :)  Just saying that with a minor massage, you can get it back to pristine condition.

The white one has corrosion that is basically telling you the metal of the reinforcement sheet has no more thickness to hide the rust that is inside.

By the look of it, I'm pretty sure welding is on the menu.

There is corrosion on the red one too, but looks minor.

No matter which one you'll get home, make sure you protect the inside, especially the double fold of metal on lowest part (beneath key hole)

The holes do fall inside the reinforcement and I have one that PO put spoiler on. His holes look like crap also. You can take a air grinder and round out the hole to look better but was never meant to be.

I have a couple trunks also. A 71 will have the holes for the MUSTANG letters. 72 & 73 have the script Mustang on the right side.
Thx David for clarifying that.

I'm not really into original restoration, more "enhanced original" and would respect anyone's choice to place a spoiler.

To be honest, I never liked that thing on any 7173. I have restored the original one for my 71, kept the holes too, but I'm not even sure i'll place it back.

Useless with the dutch speed limits and I kinda prefer the line without..

Really?  My '71 always had taped on letters - not pins.  I prefer a good '71 as I wouldn't have to fill the holes for the script.

Really?  My '71 always had taped on letters - not pins.  I prefer a good '71 as I wouldn't have to fill the holes for the script.
Mike if you want to add a spoiler to a coupe or convertible... use a 69-70 version

The center distance is more in line with the trunk bracing - just used threaded rod instead of the supplied bolts.

Then you can come thru the bracing cleanly, instead of hacking big holes

The other plus is the 69-70 spoiler is taller so the ends clear the quarter panel better.

Mike, you are correct. The '71 only trunk lid "Mustang" letters were stick on type, not the pin-and-retainer style of the earlier cars.

Mike if you want to add a spoiler to a coupe or convertible... use a 69-70 version

The center distance is more in line with the trunk bracing - just used threaded rod instead of the supplied bolts.

Then you can come thru the bracing cleanly, instead of hacking big holes

The other plus is the 69-70 spoiler is taller so the ends clear the quarter panel better.
Thanks!  I'll consider it.  I'm planning to have two decklids handy - one with the spoiler, one without.  That way I can change my mind without mucking things up too badly.

Latest posts

Back