Yellow Mach 1 is back again!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're underselling yourself.

You're repairing your paint work for free and unless he originally paid you for all new metal...that was too kind.

I think, by your question, you feel you probably should charge a little more...maybe $45±

Nice job Kevin.

Thanks for the responses guys and the kind words, much appreciated! I'm not worried about under charging, I was worried about over charging him. To me that seems like a lot of money for labor. But then again there a very few things I ever pay labor on. Luckily I have some skill sets and tools that allow me to perform 99% of my own work. And this type of work is very labor intensive. If it was just pulling a motor and doing an intake swap and throwing it back in, that's the easy part!! Hard part is making sure every part is thoroughly cleaned and detailed. Thanks again for the replies fellas and hopefully this will be all buttoned up by the weekend. Then its off to the exhaust shop for the new custom dual stainless exhaust.

Almost got all the taping done and started scuffing. I will hopefully get the final taping done tomorrow and finish scuffing everything and be ready for paint Thursday. 

Last edited by a moderator:
If you had done similar work on my car 3500 would not upset me. I also agree, absent new metal or a complete strip and paint. Warranty of prior paint work isn't warranted-but you are nice to want to do so. If you were local, I would utilize your services!

It goes on the back end by the firewall.
Interesting. In my car the power steering hoses go under the brace, but it is not to say that that's how it was out of the factory since my car has had a lot done to it over the years that I don't know about. Mine has the cooler and the A/C as well. The hoses fit well underneath the brace and are out of the way so I will leave them there.

It goes on the back end by the firewall.
Interesting. In my car the power steering hoses go under the brace, but it is not to say that that's how it was out of the factory since my car has had a lot done to it over the years that I don't know about. Mine has the cooler and the A/C as well. The hoses fit well underneath the brace and are out of the way so I will leave them there.
I do believe that from the factory the ps hose goes over the brace. This is how my car was when I bought it and I don’t think I’ve seen one that was underneath the brace. I would think the factory was just trying to keep the fluid as cool as possible so it would make sense to route it on top, but who knows. Pretty sure that was the reason for the long hose in the 71 & 72’s.

It’s finally one color again. I will let it set a few days then wet sand and buff and she should be ready for the exhaust shop. 

First coat. 

Finish with paint. 

And finally the clear. 

Kevin,

Is that single stage paint ?

You should be proud of how you have transformed that mustang, it is a beautiful. The owner should be estastic !!! I have a buddy that helped me with my Mach 1 and he charges by the hour also. You need to give yourself at least a $20.00 per hour raise........

Thanks, Jay

Kevin,

Is that single stage paint ?

You should be proud of how you have transformed that mustang, it is a beautiful. The owner should be estastic !!!  I have a buddy that helped me with my Mach 1 and he charges by the hour also. You need to give yourself at least a $20.00 per hour raise........

Thanks, Jay
Thanks Jay! 

The paint is not single stage. It’s base coat, clear coat.  PPG DBC.  Very nice paint to work with. Covers extremely well and blends nicely.

Got it all wetsanded today.  Not much progress but it’s something. Lol. Started at 1500-2000-2500. Didn’t take much because car was already flat since most of it just got clear resprayed. Hopefully get it buffed tomorrow night. 

Well I got the roof and quarters all buffed out. Used 3M’s finesse-it 2 rubbing compound and machine glaze with foam pads. I ran out of time last night. So I still need to wipe the whole car down and detail everything.  Probably do a hand glaze to the entire car to make sure everything shines! Here’s a few pics.  More to come this weekend after I get it all detailed.  Got an appointment Tuesday for the exhaust shop.  So we are on the home stretch just in time for Spring!!!

Half the roof complete with rubbing compound. 

Whole roof done with compound.

Quarter panels done with compound and glaze. 

All tape and paper removed. Still needs cleaned up but looks good. 

top 100 girl names 2000

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks really good  Kevin. The owner is going to be stoked!

Now, if it were my car, I'd be slapping on a set of black side stripes with hood black-out. I just feel all Mach 1's should have had that definition.

But it's not my car.

Geoff.

Back