Zero lash

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any reason not to run the Wix Racing (51515R) Vs the Wix (51515)? would the high flow filter cause any issues? The price difference on Amazon is only about $1.
TMeyer sells an adapter nipple to use the 51268. Although the 51515R flows better, the filter size is larger so it lets bigger particles go through compared to the 51515.

The Royal Purple 30-8A has filtering size of 25 microns.

From https://www.tmeyerinc.com/product/oil-filter-adapter/

*51268 WIX max flow rate 18-20, Filtering micron rating 25 (smaller the better)

*51515 WIX max flow rate 7-9, Filtering micron rating 21 (smaller the better)

*51515R WIX max flow rate 28, Filtering micron rating 61 (smaller the better)

I’m going with the 51515. This is the same filter that my machine shop had on my engine when I got it back. I still can’t believe that I got a bad motorcraft filter. I really wish I would have kept it, or at least taken a picture of it after I cut it open. Don’t know what I was thinking. But it sure did look pretty shabby imop. After I run the Wix for the lifter break in I will cut open and post.

I finally found some time to get the new lifters in. Was able to set the zero lash and the preload with no problem. I flushed the oiling system some before I installed the lifters. Then after I got the lifters in I primed the oiling system. Got oil through every rocker arm, so that all seems good. Then I got the intake and valve covers on and put the distributor in. So now I just have to put coil back on and the dizzy cap and wires. Then I can start it up and do the break in. I just need some decent weather and some help with the initial start up. I don’t have a remote starter, so I need someone to keep an eye out for any major leaks.

Today was warm enough for me to open my garage and start my car and break in the lifters. I got a remote starter switch to do it from under the hood. Worked great but it didn’t start up right away. I only cranked it a couple times and I could tell it wasn’t getting any spark.

I put some fresh gas in the bowls today and I know I have everything back in correct. So one look at the coil, and I realized I had crossed a couple wires. Switched them around and one quick pull of the remote switch and it fired right up! I ran it for about 25 minutes like a normal break in and all seems good to go.

I don’t know when I will get to take it out for a drive, but I have had it back together for a couple months now, so I have been waiting for a decent day to crank it up. Anyway, so far so good.

Is there any reason not to run the Wix Racing (51515R) Vs the Wix (51515)? would the high flow filter cause any issues? The price difference on Amazon is only about $1.
A bit of food for thought, not to hijack the thread... I have been using the Wix 51515R for a few years until I found out the micron rating is 61. I'm switching to the Wix 51515XP filter with a 21 micron rating. I guess higher flow comes at a cost.

Back