My Intro - and build thread

lduke12

[align=left]Hello name is Lee from Bakersfield CA. Just joined today for the first time. History, when I was a sophomore in high school in Taft California I purchased a 73 Coupe with 302 2v and C4 trans, after throwing a rod, my uncle whom owned a automotive shop let me work for him during the summer, and work after hours on pulling the engine and taught me to rebuild it from ground up. Shortly after I got a crappy MAACO paint job of red and had a blast my senior year of school going to Sonic drive inn on Friday nights and showing off for all my girl friends.

[/align]f982w.jpg

Alas I owned the car for 6 years and sold it of course because of a woman. I have regretted it ever since that day and for the last 14 years have been looking to replace that stang, but with the version I always wanted her to be, a fastback. Finally after all these years I came across an old craigslist add for a 73 Fastback that was little over 2 hours away so I grabbed my old cruising buddy from high school and we went and looked at it. Bought the car for $3K and towed it home, its the one in the primer grey color pictures, all original untouched interior, 302 2v W/C4, 4 wheel drum, all straight body, with very minimal surface rust spots and still starts up and drives. I towed it home and immediately started cleaning her out. Look forward to working on her so badly and getting her where I want her. Plans are to paint her all black, with black/grey Mach interior and slip a big block in her possibly stroked out, but who knows what the future holds.nv1dhd.jpgwldsa0.jpg23uq1x5.jpg15r075h.jpg256d104.jpg

- Lee

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great story. Welcome to the sight from North Carolina! Hope we can help you out if you need it.

2rr7aiv.png

Just cruising along minding our own business when BAM!!! The LAWS show up.

welcome from Uruguay!! GREAT project man! we are looking forward to know more!

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1972-mustang-sportsroof]Visit My Garage[/button]

Damián :cool:

[align=center]120x45bk1ani.gif

Vote For 7173Mustangs.Com Every Day![/align]

Welcome to the site from Virginia. Great introduction! Looking forward to seeing the progress on your car.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Hi Lee, welcome from central Ohio ! A lot of us here have a similar story. I had a Mach 1 in high school and learned a lot about Mustangs working on that car. I sold my high school Mach in Southern California three years after graduating college. Not sure where that car is today but would really like to have it back!

Your fastback looks like a great project. Does it have the avocado interior (can't really tell on this I Phone)?

Steve

73 Mach 1 Blue Glow/Argent Q Code C6 Auto

73 Mach 1 Blue Glow/Argent Q Code 4 Speed

Welcome to the forum from Ontario Canada!

1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png

Ken

73 Convertible 302-4v-3spd yellow /white int

08 Bullitt 4.6-5 spd black/black int

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=327]Visit My Garage[/button]

Hi Lee, welcome from central Ohio ! A lot of us here have a similar story. I had a Mach 1 in high school and learned a lot about Mustangs working on that car. I sold my high school Mach in Southern California three years after graduating college. Not sure where that car is today but would really like to have it back!

Your fastback looks like a great project. Does it have the avocado interior (can't really tell on this I Phone)?

:D No its not the Avocado, its like a yellowish tan color, but I plan on gutting it all and replacing mostly with Black/Grey Mach interior. When I was up purchasing the car, we ran all the numbers to get all the original information, but I cant remember it all at the moment, will post up at a later time.

- Lee

Welcome from W TN. Great story and a project to help complete your goals from years gone by. Looks like a great car to start with. Have fun and keep us posted on questions and progress.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Welp found the heart of my Fastback. Came from a 70 Thunderbird, 429 with the C6 tranny, all front accessories, plus they threw in an original Cobra Jet Intake they had lying around.

2rxywd1.jpg

- Lee

Hi Lee and ::welcome:: from Luxembourg / Europe. You should never sell a car for a woman. They wouldn´t give their shoes for you either! :)

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Welp found the heart of my Fastback. Came from a 70 Thunderbird, 429 with the C6 tranny, all front accessories, plus they threw in an original Cobra Jet Intake they had lying around.

2rxywd1.jpg

oohh yes...the mighty Thunderjet...Good motors...My freind has one in his pickup i been tring to get him to put in a hot rod for years and years..lol

Welp got the donor 429 stripped down to nothing, dropped her off at my machine shop on Friday to have the block and heads tanked, cleaned and checked before I call and order the 533 :D Stroker kit for the shop to put together the short block. Otherwise found out I need to get a new trunk lid and valance, and have started carefully removing the interior of the car to get ready for body and paint work.

2qcfke9.jpg

- Lee