Manual Transmission Guys

AmericanPowertrain

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok the new Latest and Greatest..........................After all the talk last week I never received a call over the weekend to set up a time for today. I will give them a couple of days then shoot an email over to them. Will give the benefit of the doubt right now because you never know what may have come up over the weekend. :(

I, the eternal optimist, will wager that you will receive a reply, and it will come before this Friday. Keep us posted.

Doc

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

Guest BigPinoyHunk

geez, i've be standing on my toes over the weekend hoping to figure out something on this. i guess i'll stand normally until then. :D:D:D

I might shoot them an email today

Tn..I just came across this, looks like a very viable option..seems like a no fuss no muss deal.

http://www.mcleodracing.com/products/1300+Series.+Bearing+%26+M%2FC+Kit.mcl

LOVE OF BEAUTY IS TASTE..THE CREATION OF BEAUTY IS ART

I might shoot them an email today

Tn..I just came across this, looks like a very viable option..seems like a no fuss no muss deal.

http://www.mcleodracing.com/products/1300+Series.+Bearing+%26+M%2FC+Kit.mcl

HMMMM, Gonna give AmericanPowerTrain a couple days, being that they are kinda local. But then will have to reweigh my options because I still have a car to build.

I, the eternal optimist, will wager that you will receive a reply, and it will come before this Friday. Keep us posted.

Doc

Glad to hear, Roy. I'll keep being optimistic when I hear that you got together with them this coming Monday. They've still got my respect.

Doc

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

OK folks this is the latest..............They showed up on Monday, took measurements and pictures and took my pedals. I was not there during the visit so really not sure what the next step is. I sent over an email and he said he would keep me posted on whats going on. One thing he did say was that they did not realize our system was a pull set up not a push type. So not exactly sure how they will handle that, but hopefully wont be to long before I hear something because the motor is going under the hood hopefully by next week.:D

Guest BigPinoyHunk

OK folks this is the latest..............They showed up on Monday, took measurements and pictures and took my pedals. I was not there during the visit so really not sure what the next step is. I sent over an email and he said he would keep me posted on whats going on. One thing he did say was that they did not realize our system was a pull set up not a push type. So not exactly sure how they will handle that, but hopefully wont be to long before I hear something because the motor is going under the hood hopefully by next week.:D

greg, what you have from him is a manual brake pedal! there is another brake pedal that has a different attachment point for a power brake pedal. maybe another member from the forum can make measurements for you to make both brake pedals. or maybe even put both attachment points on both pedals.

heres the difference between the two!!! of course the powerbrake one is a automatic brake pedal but you get the idea though.

2033514169_manualvspowerpedal.jpg.951a67776513da0b96ecb460f383c0c0.jpg

Shot over an email this morning and this is the response back from Gray. So still sounds promising.

Your pedal set is safe and sound. Because the rod on the OE setup is a pull style we are having to fabricate a special part to hook up the master cylinder to the spring mount. We should be ready to go with a workable system next week. I will probably have our guy bring over the parts for test fitting in case there is something we overlooked.

There will be a special bolt-in plate that covers the hole in the firewall plate you supplied, which will give us an excellent flat area for mounting the firewall bracket.

All in all I think this will be a great success.

Gray G. Fredrick

American Powertrain,

A TREMEC Elite Distributor

Howdy Gents,

Just wanted to post a quick follow up. The pedal boxes in these cars, as you probably well know, are nothing like the 67-70 boxes and has a lot of parts to work around. The original rod gets pulled, which is bass ackwards for pushing a master rod, and popping a hole in the top of the clutch arm is a no go because the swing of the pedal runs uphill which would only bend the master rod. The strategy for the new system is to hook up to the rear spring mount so the rod will be pushed instead of pulled. The spring is eliminated on a hydraulic set-up anyway, so that leaves us a strong mounting point. The problem is that there is no turn-key shoulder bolt that will fit, so we are hand turning a custom pin that we will produce in quantity after it is proven out.

The other issue is the huge hole next to the steering column. We are laser cutting a custom fit plate that will bolt to the existing firewall plate so we can bolt up the master. This plate will be mounted on the inside of the firewall so it will have plenty of strength when you are stuffing your foot into it.

The geometry should be excellent and give a big pedal ratio, which will make actuation easier on your leg. I am over-the-top busy (business is good, so no complaints), but our fabrication department is turning the custom parts out now and we should have something ready to test fit next week.

I will try to keep you updated, but a little nudge is never a bad thing.

Watching with interest as I'm sure many wanna be gear rowers are.

73 conv. 460, D0VE large valve heads, Performer RPM manifold, Voodoo 227/233 cam, Holley 950 HP carb, C6 trans, 3.25 trak-loc.

The toploader is no problem at all once we get the master cylinder worked out. And we sell more 5-speed kits for Mustang than any other company that I am aware of. Had to throw a shameless plug in, workin' hard here.

LOL plug away I need a clutch kit:D

Not much of a gear rower, but I'm watching with a lot of interest. Thanks for the update and I'm sure someone will give a nudge if we don't hear back after a spell. :D

Doc

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Guest BigPinoyHunk

Howdy Gents,

Just wanted to post a quick follow up. The pedal boxes in these cars, as you probably well know, are nothing like the 67-70 boxes and has a lot of parts to work around. The original rod gets pulled, which is bass ackwards for pushing a master rod, and popping a hole in the top of the clutch arm is a no go because the swing of the pedal runs uphill which would only bend the master rod. The strategy for the new system is to hook up to the rear spring mount so the rod will be pushed instead of pulled. The spring is eliminated on a hydraulic set-up anyway, so that leaves us a strong mounting point. The problem is that there is no turn-key shoulder bolt that will fit, so we are hand turning a custom pin that we will produce in quantity after it is proven out.

The other issue is the huge hole next to the steering column. We are laser cutting a custom fit plate that will bolt to the existing firewall plate so we can bolt up the master. This plate will be mounted on the inside of the firewall so it will have plenty of strength when you are stuffing your foot into it.

The geometry should be excellent and give a big pedal ratio, which will make actuation easier on your leg. I am over-the-top busy (business is good, so no complaints), but our fabrication department is turning the custom parts out now and we should have something ready to test fit next week.

I will try to keep you updated, but a little nudge is never a bad thing.

i'm getting really excited!!! i have something to look forward to now instead of my current push style cable set up.

• 1 month later...