Front suspension tricks???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 MUSTANG MACH 1
426 HP 351W/AOD
I know all about the 1 inch (Shelby) drop on 65-70 mustangs but what about us 71-73's??

I have a 71 Mach 1. I added 640 lb 1 inch drop springs, upgraded the shocks and I beefed up the anti sway bar.

Anything else?????

I know all about the 1 inch (Shelby) drop on 65-70 mustangs but what about us 71-73's??

I have a 71 Mach 1. I added 640 lb 1 inch drop springs, upgraded the shocks and I beefed up the anti sway bar.

Anything else?????
Not sure if you can do the 1" drop with the STOCK upper control arms the stock arm may hit the top portion of the frame rail during rebound..I do know you can do it with tubular upper control arms & a coilover conversation..It's a good idea to reinforce the shock tower to frame rail joint inside the shock tower with a few healthly weld beads...Which I did on mine. An custom made export brace with cowl reinforcement bracket..subframe connectors are the route I'm going... in addtion to the coilover conversation..Oh & a rear sway bar if you don't have one.

I have read on other sites (VMF) that the drop on the 71-73s is not needed.You might try and google Open Tracker on the web.He is the handeling Guru when it comes to Mustangs.
I heard the same thing about the drop. I just reworked my upper bushings and boxed in my lower control arms , made some roller spring perches and adjustable strut rods. Another thing you might do is weld around you sway bar brackets. I have a friend we added a Addco 1 1/8 sway bar to his 66 comet and over time it ripped the bracket from the frame. I talked to Mike Maier(super nice guy will talk all you want about suspensions) when ordering springs and he said that does happen if the sway bar is not on right or bent wrong and comes in contact with the strut rods. He said the Addco were known for having wide bends so that or the extra stiffness of the bar did it.

I'm no expert on this, but I read somewhere that Ford adopted the Shelby drop for the suspension of the 71-73 Mustang. A factory Shelby drop if you want.

I believe that is corect Mike. The reason for the "Arning / Shelby" modification is to gain camber on suspension compression. The 71-73 does have a decent amount of camber gain. With as far as mine has been dropped in front (a little too much LOL) I cannot get a decent camber reading, there is not enough adjustment.

Back