treatment for floor pan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
In the process of removing the interior carpet and seats mainly to clean up rear floor where the convertible top hydraulics have been leaking. Will be replacing all hoses and cylinders for the convertible top. So the back floor under the rear seat has some very mild surface rust on app. 25% of the floor. I cleaned up all the old padding/insulation which had soaked of hydraulic fluid and broken down. Much of the sealer/putty(?) that was applied at the factory has degraded and just pulls off of the floor. I have cleaned the floor and removed all the crud. I plan on taking a wire wheel to the lightly rusted areas and them spraying this area with some kind of a rust inhibitor/undercoating spray. Any suggestions ? I will be putting down additional padding/sound proofing before I put the new carpet down which has some padding. Thanks

most people like to use the POR 15 or some sort of epoxy paint
thanks for the info. I have heard that POR 15 is a great product but alot of steps. Not sure i need all that for what I have going on. Was curious if anyone had used a one step spray or paint that worked well to spot treat areas ... thanks

When it comes to interior sheetmetal rusting I start with the idea that I have to stop the reason for the rust first. Once that is done then, I like using Evaporust. Keep it wet a few hours and the rust will be gone. Non toxic and no need for any protective gear. A gallon goes an incredibly long way. When done using it I pour it back into the container til it is black, then it is safe to pour in the sewer or yard. Clean up by wiping down with wet cloths and then you can coat with your favorite rust preventative paint like Rustoleum. For large areas I have found laying down newspaper or something similar slows evaporation enough to keep an area wet.

POR 15 requires proper preparation and application. It has been reported by some to have adhesion issues. It seems really expensive to me, but others swear by it.

http://www.evapo-rust.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Scott recommends rust bullet for this type of thing. You can search his posts for more info. Maybe he will chime in.
Thanks for all the info. !

POR 15 works super well, it is a little expensive but it is totally worth it. All rust is entirely gone, works amazing.

I used Rust Bullet on mine, and followed up with Raamat for heat shield & sound deadening.

So far, so good.

Rust bullet works great, do NOT get it your hands our they will look like the tin man from wizard of oz for a few days. That stuff stays put and has to wear off of your skin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back