trunk seal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danno

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Fastback, Sportsroof
Are there different sizes,(thicknesses), of trunk seals for a '72 fastback?

I read somewhere the new ones take a while to flatten. I replaced mine a while ago and have just started driving the car again recently. I see the trunk lid is noticeably out of fair with the rear quarters, but pushing down on the lid makes it much closer to fair. Pulled the seal out and the lid is aligned.

Do I have the wrong seal or just a trunk lid way out of adjustment?

The lid always closed nicely without having to force with new seal, but was just way out of fair.

Danno,

The original truck seal had a series of roughly 1/8"dia holes along the entire lip of the seal.

This allowed the air in the seal to "collapse" quickly when the truck lid was closed. The reproduction seals are extruded without holes so they do not flatten out like the originals.

Mac

I've has some reproduction trunk seals that were so stiff that you couldn't shut the lid. I just had to purchase a few different ones. Seems to me they had the holes.

Mine took about a year to settle. I used a heat gun on the rubber a couple of times and then slammed the trunk down on it and left it closed for weeks.

all the reproduction seals door, trunk are notorious for this issue. There used to be 2 makers of rubber but now just one from China makes the seals. Again it will settle. Drive the car and all the sunny days will cook that stubborn seal down.

When I first redid my trunk seal I couldn't even close the lid. Used the heat gun trick on it so I could just latch the trunk even after I tried readjusting the hinge, then after a few days I could just close the trunk by slamming it. Heat gunned it a couple of times and got it to relax enough I could close it very tight. Then over time with the trunk closed the seal relaxed.

Mine was installed last summer, and Dan is right - it will settle eventually - mine's at the point of being able to slam it and it'll actually stay closed (rather than just bounce back open like it did at first).

I hadn't thought of, or tried the heat gun trick... which I will be soon. ::thumb::

Back