trunk springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 convertible with 351C and C6 trans
while i was in the trunk today, and of course i got to hold up the trunk lid for it'll drop. i noticed i only have one spring.. no wonder it'll drop.. my question is are they interchangeable from side to side. meaning get one and it'll fit either side ..

The torsion rods appear to be the same, but are twisted in opposite directions at one end. They both must push upward against the lid.. Try EBay...

I have some what side do you need
Hello, it seems I need a torsion rod I only have one.  I think the previous owner added the trunk spoiiler  Do you still have any available?  The current rod is in the passenger hinge and adjusts on the drivers side.  So I believe I need the drivers side rod.  The adjustment would be on the passenger side for the rod I need. 

If you have any please let me know. 

Thanks.

The torsen bars for a fastback are difference than the ones for a Coupe /Convertible. Also do not try to twist or bend it to make it work on the other side as they are high tempered and will break before they bend even with heat applied. I know from experience. I do have a spare one of the common side for a Coupe /Convertible, that's what you need.

Hey Rackerm, thanks for responding.  I have a convertible.  I would assume I have the "common" side and I need the other.  To be more specific, the rod I have inserts into the passenger side hinge and has the adjustment on the drivers side.  I need the one that inserts into the hinge on drivers side and can be adjusted on the passenger side.

There is only one on coupes and convertibles   

It causes the trunk lid not to sit right when closed too

Hey Rackerm, thanks for responding.  I have a convertible.  I would assume I have the "common" side and I need the other.  To be more specific, the rod I have inserts into the passenger side hinge and has the adjustment on the drivers side.  I need the one that inserts into the hinge on drivers side and can be adjusted on the passenger side.
Yep, that's the harder one to come by. the only one of those I have is on my car, but I do see them come up on ebay from time to time. I had to buy a set of both to get the one I needed, so I have an extra one but it's same one you have now.

To do it right there is also a small round rubber grommet with two slotted holes. It is inserted where the two rod cross each other to keep the rods from rubbing and banging together. I had to make one one from a another grommet.

Sorry I can't help, but I will keep an eye out for one and let you know when I do see one.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is only one on coupes and convertibles   

It causes the trunk lid not to sit right when closed too
One would have been fine originally but the I think the weight of the spoiler makes it not open.  What you say about it to not sit right makes sense.  I was adjusting the  lid to close and fit tighter and had a heck of a time, probably because it was bing torqued on one side.

Back