Need Help Identifying if 71 Came with Long or Short Console

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4mm

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang 351C 4V Fastback
Hello all,

I pulled The carpet and I need help identifying if the car came with a long or short console.

What signs should I be looking for on the floor pan? Any particular bracketry or screw holes?

Thanks in advance.

My Marti says 'Console,' but I'm thinking it came with a short console, since it has a 'clock/speedo' instrument cluster. I would think a long console with a 'Mach 1' clock delete panel would've been something of a rarity, whereas a shorty console with the clock delete panel would be more common.

But, the console was missing when I got it, so who knows? :huh:

Since your carpet is already out, the tough part is already out of the way to check for mounting holes. If it was equipped with the standard mini console there should be three mount holes in the top of the transmission tunnel. One in the front and two a little further down from the rear of the shifter opening. If it had the optional long console there should be four holes on either side of the transmission tunnel. It mounted straight to the sheet metal through four holes in the bottom edge of the console with #8-18x 1 1/2" screws. No brackets were involved.

Like 73pony suggested, a Marti report would be nice to have as it gives you a pretty good ideal how your car was equipped when new.

Back