Hello there,

Found my mach 10/24/2016 but I am looking for parts for it now

- aftermarket RAM AIR plenum fixure

-OEM steering wheel

-OEM radio

-rear louvers that are not drill on, but something that stays on well

I am looking to buy a 1971 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland-4V and Manual transmission. Functional RAM air would be preferred.

I always look on ebay, hemmings, autotrader, and every state/city craigslist. I usually only see automatics which I don't want, or cars priced through the roof. Not interested at all in clones, "tributes", or grandes.

Prince range is within $25k

I will go to the ends of the earth to find me a sexy 71 mach.

Thanks for reading

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck with the search. I don't know if I could help you without more information.

When you say "no tributes or clones" do you mean no Mach 1 clones, or no 351c/4-speed clones? Less than 5% of all 71-73 Mustang were even a manual transmission car and some of these were 6 cylinder and 302 3 speed cars.

Based on the money and time I have spent on my incomplete restoration to date, I frankly think the 351 4-speed cars on eBay are priced pretty fairly.

What overall condition are you seeking? These bodies and interiors are just as challenging to restore as any other Mustang, so the price will vary greatly based on the condition too.

I would be curious to see what you think my car is worth in its current state.

It has everything you mention ed, but is an original automatic car.

If i was looking for the same car i would be looking for a donor car at the same time that i could remove a 4 speed manual box from. I am no expert on American classics but surely a manual 4 speed box was used by ford in many differant models of cars. If only 5% of Mustangs had manual boxes you will have to pay the premium or find a donor gearbox or have a lot of patience.

A lot of American cars end up on mainland Europe as they also drive left hand drives. Maybe widen your search or email the big European dealers and offer them a finders fee

Steve

1971 Grande

price range is within $25k

Solid Body, Manual transmission 351C car for that price sounds very do-able. Keep your eyes on this forum, craigslist, and Ebay and you will be there soon. With that budget you can get something nice, especially with Winter storage coming on for many. Search Texas!!!

Good Luck!

Here's a 72. Be patient and get exactly what ya want. Took me 3 months at least.

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.com/atlanta/1972/ford/mustang-S67.html

That is an H code so doubtful it was an original four speed car.

Vamach1 - 72 Sprint conv & 72 Mach1

There's a pewter/black '71 M-Code been floating around Texas for years. I had the chance to buy it shortly after I started my project, but I was afraid of that car - it was too nice for me.

When I first stumbled across it, I was blown away by how nice it was. I wanted to restomod mine, so the idea of buying such a nicely restored car only to "make it mine" was out of the question for me. That, and the $24,995 price tag was quite intimidating. I was in the early stages of my restoration and figured I'd have mine on the road for much less than that (boy, was I wrong).

It stayed on the lot for almost 6 months and finally sold at $19K, to someone locally who parked it and it apparently never saw the light of day for about 3 years - I never saw it anywhere in town... no car shows, no cruises, no chance encounters in any parking lots... nothing.

Then I heard it was for sale again around 2 years ago going for something like $22K. A short time later, it was gone and I haven't seen or heard anything about it since.

Good luck with your search. I think your budget and expectations are on track. I also think that '71-'73s are gaining traction in the collector car world, so hopefully you can find a good deal soon, because I think the prices for everything to do with '71-'73 Mustangs are going to start heading upward from here.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Here's a 72. Be patient and get exactly what ya want. Took me 3 months at least.

Wow, that poor car is a hot mess. Appears to be ready for Baja too with those rear springs.

Another classic example of a car lot not knowing what they have, not seeking correct information, and wanting more than it's worth. The write-up alone is full of errors: the 351 Cleveland is not a small block, the rear axle is a 9" (not an 8"), and those are not Cragars, to name a few. I personally don't care for those red dust shields up front, or the red drums out back... but easy enough to fix.

Most of the mistakes are easily fixed. For instance, the body-colored valances can be painted black. The interior oddities can be fixed/restored with little effort (the sail panels are coming down, etc.). The Ram Air was obviously added afterward, but they ruined the chance of quickly and cheaply making it right - they could've just gotten a factory hood lock kit, but went with aftermarket pins instead - ruining the hood. No door/courtesy light pins? And what the Heck is up with the driver door? It looks like hammered dog snot around the trailing edge/latch area (with new paint, of course).

There are some issues with the driver side cowl at the very least. The fresh air cable is missing, which means the vent/cable has rusted, so they removed it. The only way that gets rusty is by having moisture accumulation (ask me how I know).

It looks like a fairly solid car, otherwise. Not a $26K car, though... more like an $18-19K car to me.

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

Yeah that 72 is not worth it to me. I have learned ALOT about the 71-73 Machs in my search and it is kind of agitating to see dealers selling what they think is a "show quality" car for a big price

Yeah that 72 is not worth it to me. I have learned ALOT about the 71-73 Machs in my search and it is kind of agitating to see dealers selling what they think is a "show quality" car for a big price

Sounds like you're not going into this refusing to remove the "Mach 1 Goggles" like I did... good for you! ::thumb::

If there's anything else you can think of that might be a question, you've certainly come to the right place - some of the guys here have forgotten more about '71-'73 Mustangs than I'll ever know. :cool:

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

The argument has been going on for years. Technically, I guess the best description is "Ford's Big Small Block" or something like that.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-are-the-351c-big-block-engines

It shares many characteristics of the FE/FT and MEL engines it was designed to replace (considered big blocks), which had 332 and 352 ci sizes as well. Kind of muddies the waters, eh?

If deck height alone determines if it's a big or small block, then I guess it's a small block. Never mind that the heads are as big or bigger than most 'big block' engines.

It's all confusing... I'm no expert... so I'll retract that comment. :whistling:

That car's still a hot mess, though. :cool:

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

The argument has been going on for years. Technically, I guess the best description is "Ford's Big Small Block" or something like that.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-are-the-351c-big-block-engines

It shares many characteristics of the FE/FT and MEL engines it was designed to replace (considered big blocks), which had 332 and 352 ci sizes as well. Kind of muddies the waters, eh?

If deck height alone determines if it's a big or small block, then I guess it's a small block. Never mind that the heads are as big or bigger than most 'big block' engines.

It's all confusing... I'm no expert... so I'll retract that comment. :whistling:

That car's still a hot mess, though. :cool:

I know, I'm just busting your balls. ::thumb::

I look at it this way, we all know a 460 is a big block. You cant bolt a Cleveland up to the same tranny as a 460, 429, ect.

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

There was a 1971 mach with manual transmission on ebay but some nerd bought it before I could hit "buy it now". It was $16k and it needed a little work but I would've done it. SO sad literally want to cry

Wow, that poor car is a hot mess. Appears to be ready for Baja too with those rear springs.

Another classic example of a car lot not knowing what they have, not seeking correct information, and wanting more than it's worth. The write-up alone is full of errors: the 351 Cleveland is not a small block, the rear axle is a 9" (not an 8"), and those are not Cragars, to name a few. I personally don't care for those red dust shields up front, or the red drums out back... but easy enough to fix.

Most of the mistakes are easily fixed. For instance, the body-colored valances can be painted black. The interior oddities can be fixed/restored with little effort (the sail panels are coming down, etc.). The Ram Air was obviously added afterward, but they ruined the chance of quickly and cheaply making it right - they could've just gotten a factory hood lock kit, but went with aftermarket pins instead - ruining the hood. No door/courtesy light pins? And what the Heck is up with the driver door? It looks like hammered dog snot around the trailing edge/latch area (with new paint, of course).

There are some issues with the driver side cowl at the very least. The fresh air cable is missing, which means the vent/cable has rusted, so they removed it. The only way that gets rusty is by having moisture accumulation (ask me how I know).

It looks like a fairly solid car, otherwise. Not a $26K car, though... more like an $18-19K car to me.

And what's with that 1968 Cougar door tag? Didn't all Mach 1's have deluxe interior?

And what's with that 1968 Cougar door tag? Didn't all Mach 1's have deluxe interior?

71-73 Mach 1's came with standard interior

They could be ordered with optional Mach 1 sports interior

Ohio Mustang Supply

440-949-2556

http://www.7173mustangs.com/images/oms_sig_banner.jpg

A little day dreaming on the sellers part. The door tag is from a 68 Cougar standard hardtop. Guess they figured no one would notice. Wouldn't keep me from buying one if so equipped, but a 4 speed was not a production installed option on the "H" 351.

Grande was the only model that had the Deluxe interior as standard. The Mach1 Sports Interior was an option on the Mach1 from 71-73.

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!