Hoping to Reenter World of Mustang Ownership after 30 Years

West Valley Mustang

Greetings.  After owning a 1969 Mustang Grande early in life and restoring my family's 1966 Mustang Coupe, I have been away from Mustang ownership for about 30 years.  I am hoping to work out the purchase of a 1972 survivor convertible in the coming weeks.  If all goes well, I will be spending some time here trying to learn some tips on how to spruce up this car.  No major restoration is planned.  I am hoping for a relatively low maintenance cruiser to enjoy in the Phoenix sun.

1972_Ford_Mustang_in_Sun_City_AZ.jpg

fast picture upload

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had not noticed the mirror, but now that you mention it, it does not look like some of the others I can see in pictures. I will have to see if this one was replaced and if it matches the other side.

I had not noticed the mirror, but now that you mention it, it does not look like some of the others I can see in pictures.  I will have to see if this one was replaced and if it matches the other side.

That mirror does not appear to be factory. I think the options were the color keyed racing mirror or a chrome one.

Also the wheels are from a '73. The only year those wheels were offered.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

I had not noticed the mirror, but now that you mention it, it does not look like some of the others I can see in pictures.  I will have to see if this one was replaced and if it matches the other side.

That mirror does not appear to be factory. I think the options were the color keyed racing mirror or a chrome one.

Also the wheels are from a '73. The only year those wheels were offered.

Nice looking convertible. I did notice that the antenna is on the wrong side of car, supposed to be on the passenger side...

Jeff

1972 Q Code Convertible

Looks like there are a few oddities going on here. I knew about the non-stock wheels - the original wheel covers are in the trunk. The current owner has owned it for about 40 years, even knew the original owner, but there is a several year period unaccounted for during the 70s. The antenna is a weird one, as I imagine just about every car came with one. Mirrors might be explainable, but there was no mention of them by the owner. I will have to look closely for other abnormalities before committing to the purchase. Thanks for the keen sight and insight.

Hi From MESA Arizona. I have over 30 years of 73 mustang ownership. Only two cars. But if you want me to go take a look at it for ya let me know. If you get it we should hook up! I had kind of attempted a Phoenix Area get together a couple of years ago but it fizzled.

My 73 convertible is modified.

cy9Nvle.jpg

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Hi From MESA Arizona. I have over 30 years of 73 mustang ownership. Only two cars. But if you want me to go take a look at it for ya let me know. If you get it we should hook up! I had kind of attempted a Phoenix Area get together a couple of years ago but it fizzled.

My 73 convertible is modified, including the racing mirrors. It came with the 'lipstick' mirror on driver side only.

cy9Nvle.jpg

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

Welcome to the group. Hope the deal works out to your liking. Hope the feedback you received thus far helps with your research and maybe negotiations. Very knowledgeable group here to assist any way we can. If this deal doesn't work out stay on board. Maybe we can help you find another one, and welcome from West Tennessee.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

I have already learned a lot, between the welcome posts and quite a bit of searching the site. If this particular vehicle does not become mine, I have already started down the path toward vintage Mustang ownership. When I owned them before, they were just used cars, now they are classics. My wife has always had it in the back of her mind to get me one and this opportunity just fell into ours laps (local Craigslist ad for a garage sale mentioned the car). If this one does not happen, I suspect that a different one will.

One important question - my '69 had a 351 with more power than a teenager should have had, my '66 had a 200 and had no power. With all the extra weight of the '72 model, will the 250 engine have enough power? The main use is around town cruising on flat land in Phoenix during the months I am there, but I might want to take some longer trips and head to the mountains.

The 250 6 cylinder will run the car fine. One thing to keep in your mind the 5 cylinder does hurt the value tremendously. Go to Ebay and check for Sold cars for value. In my mind they are worth about 1/2 what a 351 Cleveland would be.

I think the wheels are just aftermarket I do not see the black line in the outer edge and the radius looks wrong in the wheel.

I have one car that came without a radio a 73 vert. Just odd to see antenna on the drivers side.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

This car seems like a good entry level purchase. It is affordable because it is not particularly collectible. If it were rare or had a much larger engine, I could not afford it.

This car seems like a good entry level purchase.  It is affordable because it is not particularly collectible.  If it were rare or had a much larger engine, I could not afford it.

It is a nice looking car! Certain items are not original...but they are only small things that are easy to change. If the price is good then I would consider buying it. As you mentioned, the previous owner had it for 40 years, so it means that he/she was happy with it and probably looked after it well! This would be a valuable thing for me. The 6 cylinder engine doesn't have a lot of horse power, but it is a convertible, so nice weather drives with the roof down is a nice compromise for the lack of a high horsepower engine if you ask me !

Did you get a Marti report already? Does it have some nice options?

It might not be particularly collectable but it is a rare car! only 565 convertibles were built with the 6 cylinder engine in 1972! and only 1967 in total from 1971-1973...

I may have run into a glitch in the plans. I live in Kansas much of the year, but this car is in Arizona. I plan to only use it in Arizona where I have a second home. It appears that I have to license the car in Kansas, my state of residency, and cannot license it in Arizona despite owning a home there. In order to license in Kansas, I need it inspected by the DMV in Kansas, which will require that I drive it there and then back to Arizona. It is about a 850 miles to the closest inspection center and another 400 miles to my house at the east end of the state. This seems like too much additional effort and I am frankly not certain that I want my first road trip in this car to be a 1,700 or 2,500 round trip just to get it licensed. The cost of towing it there is prohibitive as well.

Has anyone found a reasonable work around involving out of state licensing and meeting inspection requirements? I talked with the Kansas DMV already and am awaiting a return email from the Arizona DMV seeking out some sort of exception which will either allow an Arizona inspector to perform the inspection for Kansas license purposes or license it in Arizona as a non-resident

Nevermind - It looks like I will be able to license it in Arizona after all.

Owners says he has the original side mirror. He wanted mirrors on both sides and added a non-original design. He did not know the story on the antenna, as it was that way when he bought the car.

I am two weeks from getting to drive and inspect the car.

Arizona will require emissions testing. It's easy to pass, there is no underhood inspection and the limits are pretty generous for our older cars. But if you are considering getting 'classic car' insurance you can avoid the emissions test requirement in Arizona.

'Mike'