Things I've learned about resoration of a 71-73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libram

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1
1. Every piece of chrome trim is hard to replace, if you don't know how to remove it find someone who does, especially true of door weatherstrip channels, windshield, rear glass, and quarter window trim.

2. those little plastic triangle in the pillars are worth more than their weight in gold, don't lose them

3. before you start, pictures, pictures, pictures, of everything, twice, and then again of things you don't think are important, they will be later

4. the steering wheel costs more than you think to replace, put it somewhere safe

5. your front cowl is probably in bad shape, DONT just throw it out no matter how bad it is, a replacement is harder to come by than it really should be not to mention its hard as all getout to well, get out. *update..........new NON AC cowls are available look to Don at Ohio mustang, yes there is some cutting required but its worth it, when I HAD to do mine it took 2 years to find a semi solid cowl to donate its cougar life to my mach 1 .

6. trunk torsion bars are valuable, don't lose them

7. the stupidest little brackets will give you headaches, the throttle cable bracket, the trans dipstick clamp, aire compressor mount , etc... take more pictures!

8. sure its cheaper to replace those rims than restore, but don't let them out of your sight until you have the new ones in hand, backorders on exact repro can be months long.

9. midlife is the only thing you need to know about wiring harnesses

10.if you have a tilt column BE careful with it, its god awful expensive and hard as crap to find replacement

11.that useless charcoal canister costs a lot to replace

12.if your instrument panel glass/plastic has a trip meter, SAVE it no matter how bad it is, it can be used as a template to drill a clean new one for the reset pushrod or even better see my post on sanding and polishing one to almost like new.

13.as far as I know there is no current repop seat bracket for mach 1's. You can only get coupe and cut them down or refab your own.

14. kick panels are hard to find, save yours if at all possible

15. think your door panels with the deluxe package are totally gone and you'll just replace them? Sure but just remember all those little pieces that you COULD clean up and reuse will total up to an added 1200.00 or so bucks, is your time cleaning a couple things and being ok with a few little scratches worth that?

16.Members respect him, he's active here, and everything I've gotten from him has been the best quality available, so in my humble opionion Don and Ohio Mustang are one of your most valuable resources for parts and info, not to imply anything but a certain popular mustang only repro dealer is in Charlotte/Concord near me that I have never known to be outgoing in helping with parts and info about what's what in resto's. Gotta call or walk in to get help.

17. Your windshield glass on a mach 1 is as good as gold, if its not cracked take careful care of it or be ready to hunt down a new one at $400 for a bargain and all the way up to $800 plus shipping.

18. Need to fix the clear plastics in the dash? lookup Novus 7100 on Amazon.

19. Have a poly bumper? Keep it its probably not too far gone to repair as a new one that needs repair may run you $1500.00 plus shipping.

This is just what I have found, of anyone disagrees or has more to add post and I'll try to edit/add it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am honored (Number 9...Number 9...Number 9...) *G*

In regards to the seat platforms you can also get the coupes and "flat" them down without cutting/rewelding. You may need a little bit of cutting and flattening by chaging the angle of the verticals. Not a concourse solution but practical.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

the triangles are the door vents, in the door pillars, stupid simple part, till you need one.

Nice list.. thanks...

.. stuff like this is good to know...before a feller tears his car apart!

Last edited by a moderator:
About time.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Yes, I agree. I'm so glad they now make full 1/4s for the verts now. The skins were garbage and you had to bondo over the repair from the door to the back of the car. BTW, I have used the full quarters and they are as nice as NOS full quarters I have used.

The seat platforms are from Dynacorn they made them when they made the full floors.

I thought Erin posted them up - they have been available for 5-6 months now

Back