• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Steering wheel and marker light sockets

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadRacer203

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible with a 302 and AOD
Looking for a cheap steering wheel with working horn button for my '71 convertible. My horn button stopped working and my wheel is very worn so I want to replace it. It's also a Boss wheel so I can't find an affordable replacement horn button. Looking for anything that fits- stock or aftermarket but I have a white interior with a black dash so I want it to match.

Also looking for front marker light sockets.

The cheaper the better, I'm on a very tight budget

front marker u mentioned... the front blinker or side marker?? the blinker housings are hard to find, good used but they are tons of new and $$$$$$

i just went on ebay yesterday and saw a used one in nice shape for 25$.. it's not there now for i bought it.

front marker u mentioned... the front blinker or side marker?? the blinker housings are hard to find, good used but they are tons of new and $$$$$$

i just went on ebay yesterday and saw a used one in nice shape for 25$.. it's not there now for i bought it.
The ones I'm talking about are the ones mounted on the fenders just ahead of the front wheels. The housings I have are in good shape but the sockets that the bulbs plug into stopped clicking into place and they keep falling out and dragging on the ground

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk to Midlife (Randy) - I'm sure he has a pile of those lying around scavenged from junk harnesses, or a lead on new ones.

What's a "Boss" steering wheel?

Talk to Midlife (Randy) - I'm sure he has a pile of those lying around scavenged from junk harnesses, or a lead on new ones.

It's from a Boss 351 as far as I can tell. The hard plastic one with 2 spokes and the horn button that twists onto the center

It's from a Boss 351 as far as I can tell. The hard plastic one with 2 spokes and the horn button that twists onto the center
can you post a pic?

Probably like this one - nothing Boss about a steering wheel. That's the base model wheel for 71. My Mach had one as well. 

71_mustang_conv_green_3.JPG

The wheel your referring to is the 71 only base steering wheel which makes finding one of those almost impossible. Often called a Boss wheel since a lot of Boss cars were ordered bare bones as possible to keep the weight and cost down. No Mercury vehicles were equipped with that wheel. And since  it was also used on base Mavericks and Pintos, basically "Throw Away" cars, not a lot were salvaged when these cars were at the end of their life cycle. Although a base steering wheel, when the word Boss is used in the description, sellers eyes gloss over with $$ signs and realistic prices go out the window. I would try Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply or Mike @ Motor City Mustang to see if they might have any of this type of steering wheel looking for a new home. Unless you specifically want to use the same wheel they might even have a used Deluxe two spoke wheel for a deal. And.... Don (OMS) now has the repo two spoke deluxe wheel, pad and horn switch.

If you don't' find any decent used marker lamp sockets, the sockets used for the marker lamps used a #194 bulb which was pretty common in the auto industry. I've seen them in the "Help" packaged parts in the local parts stores.

Side marker lamp sockets are reproduced by many...NPD has one C-2570-50 for $2.95.

Side marker lamp sockets are reproduced by many...NPD has one C-2570-50 for $2.95.
Ok, I'll just buy those sockets new if they're that cheap. 

That's the steering wheel I have. Can't find any decent horn buttons for it and the wheel itself is very worn and has a few cracks so I'd like to just get another wheel.

Anyone have a steering wheel? My car just failed inspection because the "horn doesn't work". Gotta love the people's republic of massachusetts.

I know you didn't want to get a lot of money tied up in your present wheel since it is in such bad shape. But since you failed your state inspection,  I figured you may want to try a temporary solution as you decide which direction you take with a replacement wheel.

As I posted before the Pinto and Maverick also used this basic wheel. The Pinto horn button used a kicking pony and the Maverick used a starburst design. They will all interchange. Most of the time the horn buttons can be found at a somewhat reasonable price unless a collector that most of us know gets his hands on it. There are several new and one used horn button I've been watching on E-Bay. The new range from $75-$109 and the used for $35.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-NOS-Maverick-Black-Steering-Wheel-Center-Horn-Button-Assembly/231935705526

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1973-FORD-MAVERICK-STEERING-WHEEL-CENTER/372188667923?epid=1523825884&hash=item56a82c6013:g:fO0AAOSwhpZaMuAq

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1971-1972-1973-Ford-Pinto-Steering-Wheel-Center-Pad-Button-Blue/121640762407?epid=913021171&hash=item1c525abc27

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1971-1972-Ford-Pinto-Steering-Wheel-Horn-Button-Blue/141656573369?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D52935%26meid%3D9dac4e3bedb042de953abe5c843733ff%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D121640762407%26itm%3D141656573369&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

The used one looks to be in fair shape. If you decide on this one I would contact the seller to make sure the switch is good by checking with a multi meter when the button is depressed and that all the mounting lugs and metal tabs are not damaged. A lot were broken when people tried to remove the horn button by pulling straight up and not twisting off!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-72-Ford-Mustang-Pinto-Horn-Button-No-13A805/142492014416?hash=item212d2f9750:g:Q38AAOSwXGtZpx7D

Hopefully this will give you a few options and make your state happy with you again until you can find a replacement wheel of some sort.

Anyone have a steering wheel? My car just failed inspection because the "horn doesn't work". Gotta love the people's republic of massachusetts.
Guessing you never took a car through inspection in CT? Used to be pretty epic before they decided it was okay to let anything with a clean VIN on the roads. The junk I see these days....

Old trick was to get a horn button from NAPA etc and mount it on the side of the column with zip ties.

Hemikiller, thanks for the the little memory jog. When I lived in SC they had a mandatory annual vehicle inspection that kept most of the junk off the roads. For years the shops, garages and dealers that preformed the inspections complained that the inspection fee wasn't enough to cover actual expenses. The customer could decline any repairs that were needed (most did) and the shops continued to complain. The only penalty to the car owner came when the State Trooper's would ticket them for an expired inspection sticker. So the idiots... errr state legislatures that we had elected to sit in the State House to keep us safe from ourselves and  to tax and spend our money fixed it. After 1996 state vehicle inspections were no longer required. So now there are cars on the roads that are not much more than rolling junk yards on wheels that the salvage yards don't even want.I remember seeing a lot of the old NAPA horn buttons zip tied to the steering column. Best one I saw was one attached to the dash board with what looked like two long sheet metal screws that were drove in like nails with a hammer!!  Nothing like good ole fashioned Red Neck engineering!

A friend of mine moved to Monroe, NC, right near the NC/SC state line. He lived there for about ten years. He said you had to watch out for older vehicles with SC plates as they were rolling piles of junk.

CT went to a "VIN verification" only system in the early 2000s for out of state cars. If it was a CT car already, they just hand you the plates. There are definitely some piles on the roads, but I don't see them too often. The old inspection system was brutal. Full chassis inspection, car up on a lift. Brake balance testing, emissions testing etc. It used to be a badge of honor to get a CT plate on an older vehicle. It was so bad that most of the classics were registered in Maine. You'd go to a show and there would be 70% Maine plates on the field. From what I heard, Maine clamped down on it recently, as there were literally thousands of vehicles registered to certain addresses.

Back