Alt hook up

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert sneed

Reaction score
My Car
73 mach 1 351 c 2v
I have a 3 wire alt, and recently upgraded my wiring harnesses with a kwikwire wiring harness. Im stumped with this alt hook up not charging. This is how it’s hooked up, does anyone notice anything wrong? Thanks in advance.

There is no connection between the stator terminals on the alternator and voltage regulator when you have the factory ammeter. A wire (light green with red stripe) is connected to the stator terminal on the regulator and comes from the ignition switch. This wire is what energizes the regulator and alternator. There is no wire connected to the "I" terminal on the regulator when you have the factory ammeter.

You didn't state what year your car is, but they were mostly the same through the three years. Here's the 71 charging/starting diagram with tach. The alternator is on it's own sub-harness with the only connection to the main harness being through the exciter wire (904).

71alttachwiring.pdf

Attachments

• 71alttachwiring.pdf
    66.3 KB · Views: 15
Back