LED Headlights

I am looking to purchase some LED headlights for my mom's 71 mustang convertible.  I am needing advice on which to choose.  She would like to retain the stock appearance but have much brighter lights that won't cause all of the oncoming cars to flash her constantly.  

I don't think the turn signals were normally part of the headlight, but some of the options I am looking at have that, seems odd.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan

I did LED's with my 03 Jeep TJ but due to serious noise static, had to returned them.

Are our Stangs able to handle LED's without any modifications to avoid noise interference?

I added them to my mustang and love them. Way better at night. I even wired mine up for the orange halos to blink with turn signals. The white halos run with just the parking lights on and when you turn on the high or low beams. Here’s a few pics of mine. With whit halos on. Then the 4 ways on showing the orange Hal’s and then just headlights. Here’s a link to them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/DOT-7inch-Round-LED-Headlight-With-Halo-Angle-Eyes-For-Jeep-Wrangler-JK-LJ-TJ/192621207975

A27-ABAA2-44-CD-4-B53-9-D61-FDAE89-BB38-D3.jpg

2-CF4-A817-8760-4-F92-BF02-F88-AA4-FD22-C3.jpg

DB07158-F-DD2-D-4-F67-8-E7-D-84-A2-D1-B82453.jpg

3-EE352-F7-89-D6-4296-92-B5-34-DF970-EA3-DE.jpg

• Like 2

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

044.jpg

I went with stock looking headlights (with Ford logo) and a relay kit from Bob aka Rocketman. They are much brighter than stock and don't trip the headlight switch's circuit breaker!

• Like 2

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

I added them to my mustang and love them. Way better at night. I even wired mine up for the orange halos to blink with turn signals. The white halos run with just the parking lights on and when you turn on the high or low beams. Here’s a few pics of mine. With whit halos on. Then the 4 ways on showing the orange Hal’s and then just headlights. Here’s a link to them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/DOT-7inch-Round-LED-Headlight-With-Halo-Angle-Eyes-For-Jeep-Wrangler-JK-LJ-TJ/192621207975

Thanks for the pics and Link!  I had a double take when I followed that link as my first thought was the page caught a cookie that took me to a part for my Jeep.  I got a chuckle when I realized that My 72 Mustang will take the same headlights as my 2013 Jeep Wrangler.  Now I'm forced to buy two sets just cause it's too cool that they fit both!

Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

• 5 weeks later...

Upgraded here too. Bought these from Amazon, and liked them so much that I upgraded my Mach 1 as well. They were just about 'plug-n-play', and the difference for me at night was incredible.

LED1.jpg

1971 Coupe - 306ci (circa 1971) - 10:1/750 Holley/RPM Air Gap/Lunati camshaft (221/231@.050)/Comp roller rockerarms/Ford Racing pulleys/Ported cylinder heads/MSD ignition/Patriot Ceramic LT headers/Single Chambers/Carter fuel pump/NOS Sniper/9" diff./4.57 gears/B&M Holeshot convertor/B&M Shiftkit/B&M Z-Gate/CE subframe connectors/Jegs Sport Star rims/Lakewood traction bars/Fiberglass Ram Air hood/Electric fan/Rear seat delete/Relocated battery/Custom graphics

1972 Mach 1 - Ford 400ci/C6 trans/Quick Fuel 750 carb/Weiand Intake/Harland Sharp rockers/Performance cam/Patriot headers/CVF racing underdrive pulleys/Carter Fuel pump/Jegs Sport Star rims/4.11 gears/Spool/Traction bars/Accel distributor and ignition/Miloden 8-quart/Jones Full Boar exhaust/Hurst Pro-matic 2 shifter

I'm seriously not a fan of the "look" of the LED headlamps.

I'd recommend two things -

A) a relay pack to power the headlamps, which results in brighter headlights regardless of what you're using. Even the typical halogen is going to be much improved as they will now be powered almost directly from the battery, not through 30+ feet of small gauge wire that's 50 years old.

B) Cibie/Valeo 7" housings with H-4 bulbs. You can use off the shelf bulbs, or get some of the specialty lamps that offer higher wattage or whiter color temps. I used stock replacement Hella H-4 bulbs.

https://www.amazon.com/Cibie-082440-82440-Light-Unit/dp/B008DQV88Q/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=cibie+7%22&qid=1578842105&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-HLA-H83140101-12V-Halogen-Bulb/dp/B000CO7NGI/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=h4+bulb+hella&qid=1578842645&sr=8-7

If you want a complete, direct bolt in solution, I'd talk to Daniel Stern. He'll work you up a relay setup and headlamps set.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Rocketman offers several different relay pack setups - https://www.rccinnovations.com/index.php?show=menu-hrk-all

• Like 1

I put a headlight relay harness in my car, forget what brand, but works great. I even got some Scott Drake halogen lights with the Ford logo on them. They work amazingly well! They are the Only Scott Drake item that I have tried that works good.

I’m not a fan of how the way the led headlights look either. But the led lights on the interior are a huge improvement.

John - 72 Q Code

I actually like the way my LED lights aid to darken the grill arena...until they're lit, obviously.

1971 Coupe - 306ci (circa 1971) - 10:1/750 Holley/RPM Air Gap/Lunati camshaft (221/231@.050)/Comp roller rockerarms/Ford Racing pulleys/Ported cylinder heads/MSD ignition/Patriot Ceramic LT headers/Single Chambers/Carter fuel pump/NOS Sniper/9" diff./4.57 gears/B&M Holeshot convertor/B&M Shiftkit/B&M Z-Gate/CE subframe connectors/Jegs Sport Star rims/Lakewood traction bars/Fiberglass Ram Air hood/Electric fan/Rear seat delete/Relocated battery/Custom graphics

1972 Mach 1 - Ford 400ci/C6 trans/Quick Fuel 750 carb/Weiand Intake/Harland Sharp rockers/Performance cam/Patriot headers/CVF racing underdrive pulleys/Carter Fuel pump/Jegs Sport Star rims/4.11 gears/Spool/Traction bars/Accel distributor and ignition/Miloden 8-quart/Jones Full Boar exhaust/Hurst Pro-matic 2 shifter

I'm not a fan of LED headlights, either, most are the wrong color temperature, too high, too much blue.

LED interior lights are good when bought from a reputable supplier, like HiPo or SuperBright, so you can get the correct color temperatures.

I've found that most white LED color temperatures are way too high, they look bright when you look at them, but they do not illuminate well, too much color shift. A lot of white LEDs that are advertised as good for brake and tail lights really don't have enough of the red and yellow spectrum in them to effectively illuminate the lenses. Once again, only buy from reputable suppliers. Most of them on eBay and Amazon are not worth their low costs.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Most of them on eBay and Amazon are not worth their low costs.

I must have got lucky, because mine have worked great for years now and provide a crisp white, luminous light, far better than my originals.  ::thumb::