The bullit sells

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
Here is the You tube link for the Mechum auction today. The 68 bullit sells.

Now the value will start dropping the year long hype they put into that sale was crazy. As it dies off and more old timers that know the movie and Steve McQueen die off the value will fall. 

I do not know if the guy I was talking to won or not. They have kept the winning bidders name out of sight as far as I know. The guy was from Nebraska that told me he was going to buy it. Money means nothing to a rich person. Some can make that amount of money on one day. 

There was lots of no sales on the high dollar cars. Some that sold would by no means pay for a restoration. Times are changing. 

I was in the garage going through boxes and found 4 NOS Magnum 500 center caps for Buick. I use to sell parts at swap meets for many years. The price stickers were still on the GM boxes and were $.50 yes fifty cents each. Shows you how much times have changed. I must have got for a quarter to sell for fifty. This was when the only people interested in old cars were the poor people like me, lol. You could buy a 65 fastback 289 mustang used for $500 a HiPo for $1,000.

I will put on ebay or cl and see what they bring now. 

Some people have more money than sense, but "rich people" don't care. They are more into the 'hype' than the car imo.

We did not get a good look at the lower part of the car as it crossed the block, but I thought it looked like the camera mounts had been removed, or it simply could have been the angle of the camera did not show them.

This pic was taken at the Mustang Memories car show in Dearborn 2018.

Some people have more money than sense, but "rich people" don't care. They are more into the 'hype' than the car imo.

We did not get a good look at the lower part of the car as it crossed the block, but I thought it looked like the camera mounts had been removed, or it simply could have been the angle of the camera did not show them.

I shot 2 hours of video for them when it was at the Mustang Owner's Museum few months back. The mounts are still there and holes from where the generator was mounted to run the cameras. It was crashed several times during the shoot and lots of bondo slathered on to do quick repairs. His grandfather got mad once because his mom had parked in his drive and crashed into the front of the car. So he did replace front bumper and valance and grill. The gas tank was replaced and the engine rebuilt. The PO has a body shop but never painted the car. It just sat for years. He told me the only thing he was keeping off the car were the two misspelled Bullitt license plates.

To each his own; I've never been much of a Bullitt Mustang fan (original or later model special editions)

-Maybe if the movie car had been equipped with a 428 CJ....

I shot 2 hours of video for them when it was at the Mustang Owner's Museum few months back. The mounts are still there and holes from where the generator was mounted to run the cameras. It was crashed several times during the shoot and lots of bondo slathered on to do quick repairs. His grandfather got mad once because his mom had parked in his drive and crashed into the front of the car. So he did replace front bumper and valance and grill. The gas tank was replaced and the engine rebuilt. The PO has a body shop but never painted the car. It just sat for years. He told me the only thing he was keeping off the car were the two misspelled Bullitt license plates.
  It was far from pristine for sure, dents all over it, so who knows how original from the movie set it really was.

Like I mentioned, I did not see the mounts as it crossed so it was quite likely just the camera angle. I mean to have removed them would take away from the originality of the car. For those who have not seen the license plate, here it is. Maybe only 6 letters were allowed, hence the 'misspell' Bullitt is 7 letters.

That was insane!  The car is more of a movie star than most human movie stars! 

It's really cool, but not something I would spend $3.5 Million on, but to each their own!

It was far from pristine for sure, dents all over it, so who knows how original from the movie set it really was.

Like I mentioned, I did not see the mounts as it crossed so it was quite likely just the camera angle. I mean to have removed them would take away from the originality of the car. For those who have not seen the license plate, here it is. Maybe only 6 letters were allowed, hence the 'misspell' Bullitt is 7 letters.

From what the seller said......... His mother purchased the plates for his fathers Christmas present. They never put them on because they didnt want anyone to know this was the bullit. Your correct.......he also said this is all the letters allowed from the DMV.

What a story huh, His MOM drove the car daily to work as a teacher. Even took the car on vacations as this was the only car they owned. Turning down Steve McQueen because this was there transportation car. Why would McQueen offer like 200k to buy it? He obviously made enough to do so.

From what the seller said......... His mother purchased the plates for his fathers Christmas present. They never put them on because they didnt want anyone to know this was the bullit. Your correct.......he also said this is all the letters allowed from the DMV.

What a story huh, His MOM drove the car daily to work as a teacher. Even took the car on vacations as this was the only car they owned. Turning down Steve McQueen because this was there transportation car. Why would McQueen offer like 200k to buy it? He obviously made enough to do so.
 IF Steve McQueen did offer 200K, they could have bought 20 new cars at that time, so why not sell it. Back then it was 'just a car' so drive it. Now it's a retirement pension.

You have to wonder what the capital gains tax will be on the sale. No question the gov will be chasing down what they think they are owed.

Originally purchased for $3,500 and sold for $3.5M....

Neat history on the Mustang. Buuuttt...it is in such poor condition and rust never sleeps. If I had a bucket load of stupid money to spend I would have to "fix 'er up". I would not leave it as is. If I had won that auction (not possible, I don't have stupid money) I would restore the Bullitt Mustang and then I would drive it like I was Steve McQueen.

I would have to restore it too. But I would drop in a 428 since dimensionally same as the 390 (keep original engine in crate) and add some better braking, original-looking wheels in 17 or 18 inch, and straight body with Highland green paint and several coats of clear...among other things

But then it isnt the "Bullitt" car. It becomes just another restomod.

If someone has the 3.7M to spend on the car, it probably goes into their collection with one-of-a-kind Hemi cuda and Richard Petty Superbird etc. All of which are kept until the owner gets tired of them and they go for resale.

There is nothing ridiculous about this I think. This is what happens with rare objects. Pretty normal really...
Agree...

Back