1971 Boss 302

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleveland Engine Assembly. The team was not the "floor" assemblers, in fact jobs were often "dealt" to the member that was intimate with the design, involved long before assembly. The only other thing we seen written on paper labels is a big DIS (likely when a motor on run in failed) and was forensically disassembled.

Mark

P.S. From the guy that "passed" on buying that car on Ebay when $4500.00 !! LOL

There is possibly another out there. I have one of the magazines with the announcement of the new 1971 models. The Boss in the article has Boss 302 stickers on it but has the Boss 351 in it, I posted scans on the forum in the past. Also the hood black is the normal pattern not like the production boss. Magazine cars got special attention Holman Moody built lots of them.

Note that in the video they said the second Boss 302 was Blue  and they verified it had been crushed. 

In my opinion it's kinda sad to see so many NOS and hi performance parts going into a cat that wont be driven any more.  I guess that happens a lot though.

Kcmash

Going off of memory, I Remember seeing a show that bob perkins ended up with the blue one. Someone here may be able to verify that.
 I believe he confirmed that the blue one was crushed.... the engine pic here is the engine he obtained after meeting someone at a MCA show who’s cousin had the engine stored in his basement.... He didn’t say how much he paid for it, but it was a pretty penny.... This car (re vin’d three times at the factory) that he is now restoring using this Boss 302 engine) will most likely becomethe holy grail of all 71-3 Mustang’s. He is using up the best of all his NOS parts to complete this restoration... will be something to see once completed.

BTW, he doesn’t know what that lettering stands for on the engine valve cover tag and as he puts it, “he doesn’t really care”...

Last edited by a moderator:
So the one in the magazine article I scanned does look to be green and note that the hood and fenders have chrome extensions. The magazine cars got sold to employees a lot of times. So the one in the magazine might still be lurking out there somewhere. 

I know Lee Holman told me that he works on one of the 427 Mustangs that the Woods Brothers have. It was a magazine test car. Ford and all mfg. cheated and put bigger and better engines in the test cars.

A friend that just passed away about a month ago had a tale about Boss mustangs. Her dad was the GM for one of Fords engine plants. She swore that Ford built him a Boss 302 convertible. She said he followed the engine and car through the build. I posted years ago on here about that.

Saw a list of prototype mustangs that someone had put together trying to track down some of the early ones on a facebook page. One of the first mustangs was crushed at Holman & Moody. Lee Holman said Ford sent down a load for them to play with before the went on sale. His dad gave him one to drive and he drove on road before the first day of sale. He said he got pulled over all the time by police to just look at the car.

Always look at any mustang you see in junk yard or sitting might be one of the odd balls you never know.

The King Cobra Torino that Bud Moore had actually two of them had EXP-429 etched in the glass. It did not have a VIN # it was a prototype for testing for NASCAR. He gave it to an employee Jerry Mason and he sold it in the 80's for $3,500. Mason also has one of the 427 mustangs probably Bud Moore got it also. He has a huge building full of Fords with 427 in them has a thunderbolt sitting in his office.

There was a Thunderbird Super Coupe in Hendersonville that had a tag on the engine stating it was a prototype. Never say Never with cars. Back then Ford did not really keep any of them. I am on the T-5 facebook page and one owner got in touch with me. He worked at Ford and he bought a 65 T-5 from Ford that sat in warehouse forever.

Note that in the video they said the second Boss 302 was Blue  and they verified it had been crushed. 

In my opinion it's kinda sad to see so many NOS and hi performance parts going into a cat that won't be driven any more.  I guess that happens a lot though.

Kcmash
Bob has probably 6 of everything for a 1971 after buying all of Kevin's stuff ! (I've hit my head in that loft)

Back