Speedometer cable on FMX

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
Hey guys 

anyone ever replaced their speedo cable ? 

I have FMX  :chin:

I'm confused with the parts needed -- driven gear etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but I have an AOD and I'm pretty sure it's a bit longer than it should be (60-inch, I believe).

Hey guys 

anyone ever replaced their speedo cable ? 

I have FMX  :chin:

I'm confused with the parts needed -- driven gear etc.
When your speedometer shows the correct speed now, you don't have to mind about the gear, you can use the old one with the new cable.

If you want to change the cable, it has a total length of 150 cm or roughly 5 ft.

If your car was first running in California (maybe also in some other states), the cable has two sections, a short part directly after the speedometer, being attached to a speed sensor which influences your ignition system and a larger section from this speed sensor down to the FMX.

Hope this will be helpful.

Cheers

Frank

The little plastic gear has disintegrated :-/ which is why I'm not getting any speedo reading, so now trying to figure out what it was. 18 tooth - 21 or other

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your rear axle gear ratio?  Mine are 3.00:1, so I have a 19-tooth speedo gear.  Hope that helps!

The little plastic gear has disintegrated :-/ which is why I'm not getting any speedo reading, so now trying to figure out what it was. 18 tooth - 21 or other

https://www.tciauto.com/speedometer-gear-calculator

This website can give you enough info to calculate what you need. I believe most FMX transmissions had 8 drive teeth machined into the output shaft, but you will want to check it.

You can order driven gears at Summit Racing. Not terribly cheap at $20 apiece...

https://www.summitracing.com/search?SortBy=BestKeywordMatch&SortOrder=Ascending&keyword=FMX%20driven%20gear

Interestingly enough, that calculator says I need a 16 with my gear ratio... but that's running 25-inch diameter wheels.  I have 26.5-ish diameter wheels, so the 19-tooth works out just about right for mine.

I didn't do any fuzzy math for all that - just pulled the plastic gear out of the FMX when I tore it all apart, and ordered a new one of the same color, which dropped right into the speedometer cable/speed sensor assembly in the AOD.

Back