Hello,

I found this group while searching Youtube videos on how to restore a 73 Mach 1.  My son and I are tackling this project (since he's stuck at home from college #GODAWGS!, with no summer job due to the shelter in place), we figured is a good father and son project.  Is our 1st restoration so any help/advice will be GREATLY appreciated it!  All we have is time and a 19 year old's energy :-)

Car's background:

The car is a 1 owner car with 42K original miles on it purchased by the original owner while he was in college (we have the original title and dealer paper work where it was purchased for $4400).  The car has been sitting for a while.  Got everything running and cleaned up. Replaced all the wiring, brakes, tires...now we are doing the body work. There's not much rust and the body seems to be in great shape.  The only piece I think we have to replace is the rear light panel where is rusted thru...

Not looking to do do a full frame off show quality restoration, just a daily driver.  My son and I started the take down process and thinking about sanding the old paint off ourselves to bare metal (Thoughts on this? advice?  we are going to use a a DA sander along with hand sanding)...will repaint to original 2B red with the red/black hood...

If any one is around the Athens/Jefferson area, and have some time, would love to get some help/advice...

Thanks in advance!

Sean

50032058-2307088906229463-6549724194668544000-n.jpg

IMG-6596.jpg

IMG-6594.jpg

IMG-6597.jpg

20190115-123014.jpg

20190126-145908.jpg

20190126-145718.jpg

20200509-112715.jpg

20200525-141318.jpg

upload image

Congrats and welcome from Houston, Texas!

9-20-19-Mine-Again.jpg1972 Mach 1 351 Cleveland Ram Air, C6, 9 inch with 3.25 Posi, Sanderson Ceramic Headers, 2.5" dual H Pipe exhaust w/stainless tips, MSD Ignition, Edlelbrock 4BB Carb, Wilwood Front Discs, Summit Racing Rear Discs.

BTW, eBay, National Parts Depot, CJ Pony Parts and Summit Racing will start you off very well with your parts needs.

9-20-19-Mine-Again.jpg1972 Mach 1 351 Cleveland Ram Air, C6, 9 inch with 3.25 Posi, Sanderson Ceramic Headers, 2.5" dual H Pipe exhaust w/stainless tips, MSD Ignition, Edlelbrock 4BB Carb, Wilwood Front Discs, Summit Racing Rear Discs.

Welcome from Iowa. Nice looking car.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Welcome to the Forum from North Carolina. I am an original owner of a 1973 Mustang and did a complete tear down, clean and detail and back together last year. You will need to learn the search function on the Form you can find most questions answered here.

Couple quick notes you might not know about. You can order a Marti report that gives you all the details about your car. Noticed your tail light broken. Daniel Carpenter makes perfect replacements and he also has much better gaskets for them. He does not sell direct but NPD and others usually list his name with his parts. That is why the tail light panel rusted the factory foam gaskets always hold water. 

Every Mustang either came with a long console or a short console just around the shifter. I also see you have a three spoke steering wheel. If you remove the cover it should have a rim blow horn in the rim of the wheel.

If you are ever in the area stop by I have 8, 1972 & 1973 Mustangs. We have some great shows in the area and the North Georgia Mustang club has their yearly show in Maggie Valley, N.C. every year. I am in Hendersonville, NC.

Here is my 73 one owner. Short video when I took to display at the Mustang Owner's Museum last year.DSC-1264.jpg

Preview video-1555166327 (3).mp4

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Welcome from Central New York.

You've definitely come to the right place for information and advice on your project.

Good luck.

Mike

welcome from Ellijay......I just got into my '72 a few months ago myself. I have a couple of spare parts if you need any, like a decent set of tail lights cheap. Not sure how much help I could be as I am a newbie and just starting to learn.

Welcome from Ohio. Nice to see a father and son working together. Might want to consider trying paint stripper instead of sanding.

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

Let me add another Welcome from Ohio - Looks like a good foundation for a restoration. I am glad to hear you plan to drive it. There aren't many of the big-body mustangs out there, and these are my favorites. Once you get it on the road,you will be amazed at how people respond to seeing these cars on the road. You will enjoy driving it and seeing the reactions people have to these cars.

1971 Mach 1

351C/FMX, trick flow  heads

Lunati retro roller conversion ("stockish" specs with high lift).

Classic Auto AC

Manual Front Disc conversion

620 lb front and 5-leaf HD rear springs w/Gas-adjust shocks

IMG-2977.jpg

Welcome from west Michigan. It looks like you have the start to a very nice car! I pass through your area several times a year for work, I'd love to stop by sometime.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Welcome from Western Australia

Nice looking vehicle especially the color!

As Kilgon says best to use a good paint stripper then clean up with a sander but don't spend too much time with a coarse grit sandpaper in one area as not only will you create heat potentially warping the metal you will also remove some metal, use a slower speed also

Will look great with fresh paint and stripes

P1030238.jpg

BTW, eBay, National Parts Depot, CJ Pony Parts and Summit Racing will start you off very well with your parts needs.

Thanks for the info!

Welcome to the Forum from North Carolina. I am an original owner of a 1973 Mustang and did a complete tear down, clean and detail and back together last year. You will need to learn the search function on the Form you can find most questions answered here.

Couple quick notes you might not know about. You can order a Marti report that gives you all the details about your car. Noticed your tail light broken. Daniel Carpenter makes perfect replacements and he also has much better gaskets for them. He does not sell direct but NPD and others usually list his name with his parts. That is why the tail light panel rusted the factory foam gaskets always hold water. 

Every Mustang either came with a long console or a short console just around the shifter. I also see you have a three spoke steering wheel. If you remove the cover it should have a rim blow horn in the rim of the wheel.

If you are ever in the area stop by I have 8, 1972 & 1973 Mustangs. We have some great shows in the area and the North Georgia Mustang club has their yearly show in Maggie Valley, N.C. every year. I am in Hendersonville, NC.

Here is my 73 one owner. Short video when I took to display at the Mustang Owner's Museum last year.DSC-1264.jpg

Thanks for the great info!  we used to live in Durham (RTP) and belonged to the Hearts to Carolina Mustang Club there with my 07 GT500 and 68 Fastback.

Welcome from the Martinez / Augusta Georgia area. I think you are about an hour or so from me, I would love to stop through some time to see your project. I will be driving by there this weekend going to a wedding but maybe in the future, we can link up. Good luck, you came to the right forum for assistance.

Tom

Welcome from Washington state! Looks like an interesting car and great that you are doing it as a father/son project!

1973 Mustang convertible, F code w/ C4, stock survivor with refresh in progress. Blue glow w/ Blue Comfortweave interior.

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario, Canada.

Looks like you found a good one to start with. You will find all the help you'll ever need on our forum, so take advantage.

All the best,

Stanglover.

aka, Geoff.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Hello and welcome from Germany

Juergen

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome from just up the road in Chattanooga. Will help with any questions you may have. You have found the best forum and great family friendly group of folks to help you out.

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Welcome from Denmark Northern part of EU.[emoji3][emoji106]

Sendt fra min G8341 med Tapatalk

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73:whistling: