I know that this is a really subjective question but I thought that I'd ask. I am getting closer to having my car ready for paint. One side of me says to keep the original red but to paint it a red color that really stands out. Maybe a newer Mustang or Shelby red?  The other side says to paint it a non original color or maybe Grabber blue or something?

Mustang 72 drivers before.jpg

Mustang 72 rear.jpg

mustang front #2 72.jpg

Brian Kulis

I'd say do some google searches for 73 mustang convertible "color" and look at different pics and choose what you like best as it is your car. I am planning on stripping mine down this winter and painting. I know exactly what color I want but could not find any examples on google so I used photoshop and rendered it out. 

• Like 1

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

I've actually considered Toyota's Spruce Green Mica...pops in the sun and the hue looks like it could fit in as a color option of the '70s.

-I'm a fan of green

Edited by MeanMachine
  • Like 1

1971 Coupe - 306ci (circa 1971) - 10:1/750 Holley/RPM Air Gap/Lunati camshaft (221/231@.050)/Comp roller rockerarms/Ford Racing pulleys/Ported cylinder heads/MSD ignition/Patriot Ceramic LT headers/Single Chambers/Carter fuel pump/NOS Sniper/9" diff./4.57 gears/B&M Holeshot convertor/B&M Shiftkit/B&M Z-Gate/CE subframe connectors/Jegs Sport Star rims/Lakewood traction bars/Fiberglass Ram Air hood/Electric fan/Rear seat delete/Relocated battery/Custom graphics

1972 Mach 1 - Ford 400ci/C6 trans/Quick Fuel 750 carb/Weiand Intake/Harland Sharp rockers/Performance cam/Patriot headers/CVF racing underdrive pulleys/Carter Fuel pump/Jegs Sport Star rims/4.11 gears/Spool/Traction bars/Accel distributor and ignition/Miloden 8-quart/Jones Full Boar exhaust/Hurst Pro-matic 2 shifter

Hmmm  I assume you are looking for opinions here, So I will give you mine.

1) Stay with red.  A red convertible is always worth more, especially when that is he original color.  Fresh paint always looks better than the old stuff, so it will wake up nicely with the original color.

2) My second choice is a bright yellow.  Bright yellow with balck accents is the Holy Grail in my book.

3) I have a grabber Blue Mach 1.  Love the color, but have never liked the looks of it on a convertible or coup.  Not sure why, but it does not appeal to me.

kcmash

• Like 1

Any nearly fifty year old red will always look horrible due to fading. Ford's 2B Bright Red really stands out when it's fresh and it kind of glows in the sun with a very slight orange hue. Pics on the internet are going to vary wildly due to equipment,  experience and photographic conditions.

My advise is to get a rattle-can mix of it and shoot a test panel.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, blkulis said:

I know that this is a really subjective question but I thought that I'd ask. I am getting closer to having my car ready for paint. One side of me says to keep the original red but to paint it a red color that really stands out. Maybe a newer Mustang or Shelby red?  The other side says to paint it a non original color or maybe Grabber blue or something?

Mustang 72 drivers before.jpg

Mustang 72 rear.jpg

mustang front #2 72.jpg

I can't tell from the picture but make sure the shop welds up the small holes in the tail light panel accross the bumper area,  that are for 1973 cars...if your replacement panel has them as most do

• Like 1

Ohio Mustang Supply

440-949-2556

oms_sig_banner.jpg

On 6/26/2020 at 7:40 PM, midlife said:

Paint it black, you devil!

Well at least Randy did not stick up a bunch of PINK flamingos as his color suggestion 

• Like 1

Ohio Mustang Supply

440-949-2556

oms_sig_banner.jpg

Paint it "resale red" or "arrest me red" or whatever the original red was. Chuck

• Like 1
On 6/25/2020 at 3:54 PM, Hemikiller said:

Any nearly fifty year old red will always look horrible due to fading. Ford's 2B Bright Red really stands out when it's fresh and it kind of glows in the sun with a very slight orange hue. Pics on the internet are going to vary wildly due to equipment,  experience and photographic conditions.

I'm a little biased but I think it needs 2B red!!!  LOL

Ray

• Like 1

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

I'm with Mike... Yellow all the way!

IMG_2607.jpg

• Like 1

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Kinda partial to Ford Magnetic Metallic myself, which I have on my 72, but the yellow on my 73 turns a lot of heads. 

• Like 1

Lazarus

9-C51-EEB4-A25-A-4-F27-8-D01-0-EB879931296.jpg

here is a pic of my new ford ranger i got last yr. i think it's called "pepper red"

ranger.jpg

• Like 1
On 6/25/2020 at 3:54 PM, Hemikiller said:

Thank you!

Brian Kulis

On 7/10/2020 at 9:17 AM, Lazarus said:

Kinda partial to Ford Magnetic Metallic myself, which I have on my 72, but the yellow on my 73 turns a lot of heads. 

Thanks!

Brian Kulis

On 7/10/2020 at 8:14 AM, Tnfastbk said:

If I was going to paint my car today it would be 2020 Ford Rapid Red Metallic Tinted Clearcoat. Talk about a color that pops in the sun.

Thanks!

Brian Kulis

On 6/26/2020 at 1:59 PM, 72MustangSprint said:

My .02 Shelby GT 500 in Torch Red

61D98D9F-2793-4EB9-A2E0-9AA301F44CF7.jpeg

I like!!!

Brian Kulis

Jim, I'm more partial to a dark red, like my old 70 fastback. It wasn't the original color, but it was like blood red. Normally I don't care for the bright reds. But, vermillion fire is a good one. It's not red, it's not orange.... I looked at buying a Mach1 that color in the early 90's.

• Like 1