Original 1971 429 Cobra Jet engine........should be reunited with the original chassis!!

Found an engine stored away near Sheridan IL. about 7 years ago. Was looking for a display engine to take to car shows and the gentleman selling it clearly had an original 429 CJ 4 bolt engine that had never been taken apart. Don't think the carburetor is original to the engine, but everything else is.

Now, I'd like to find the current owner of the car and reunite the two. The original owner may have removed the engine to rebuild it, then the years came and went and the body was sold and the engine stayed in storage. The main problem is the partial 1F VIN on the block is very hard to read and the two numbers I tried through Kevin Marti were wrong. I was told the car was yellow with about 80k miles, automatic transmission, and I believe the car and motor were separated in the 1980's.

Any '71 C-code, probably not a J-code, Mach 1's missing an original engine out there?

Since I acquired the engine I rebuilt the original distributor, fuel pump, water pump, starter, tuned it and painted it for display. I also performed a cold leak down test and it does appear to need a rebuild, but it has good oil pressure, 65 PSI. Put a 1977 intake (marine?) on it so I could use a Holley for easy running, then used a 4 speed bell housing to mount on the stand.

20210430_142114[1].jpg

20210430_140856[1].jpg

Edited by fordismyboss
add some info.

Ford: Built without a Bailout - Best bumper sticker ever!

• fordismyboss changed the title to Original 1971 429 Cobra Jet engine........should be reunited with the original chassis!!

The two numbers I tried through Marti:

1F178252

1F173252

Looking now for the technology to read the metal deformations to determine the VIN.

Ford: Built without a Bailout - Best bumper sticker ever!

1 hour ago, fordismyboss said:

The two numbers I tried through Marti:

1F178252

1F173252

Looking now for the technology to read the metal deformations to determine the VIN.

1F178262

1F173262 

Those are the only other two I would guess with the 5 actually being a 6. 

Chris - BIG RED MACH 1 / Born in '73 - Drive a '73 / Former U.S. Army 63B10-H8 / 1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

• 2 weeks later...

You might be surprised and locate the car. A local guy here purchased a Boss 429 one of the first 50 that had two build sheets one with 428 and one with Boss 429. He got a pretty good deal on it due the engine number did not match the VIN#. Back then if you complained to Ford about the sorry performance of the Boss 429 the dealer was instructed to pull the engine and send to Holman Moody and they would spice it up some to make the customer happy. H&M did not keep them in order would just send the next one that was ready so they got mixed up. I guess he was on the Boss registry and he received a call from the person that had his original Boss 429 engine and he did buy it. So now it is a numbers matching car and price went way up. The first 50 also had magnesium valve covers which were still on the engine.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David