What Fan/Fan Clutch for 73 351C 4V

My 73 Vert, Q Code 351C 4V currently has no fan clutch and a flex-fan. I suspect the car came originally with a fan clutch and solid fan.

If so, can someone point me to which parts I should be buying to replace the flex-fan with a proper clutch/fan?

Car has factory A/C.

Thank You!

Edited by 73inNH

12 hours ago, 73inNH said:

I found this which answered my questions . . .

I think you'll find what I did to my car, will work for yours. If you need any more info or help, holla!

• Like 1

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

I followed Geoff's recommendations and am happy with the results.  I have no overheating issues with this setup on my '72 Q-code driving in 90°+F here in Texas.

Perfect. My car runs cool now, however it has a flex fan and no clutch. I like the clutch setup, but more importantly I want the flex fan gone.   :)

Check out my video.

This didn't post as I wanted. you may need to scroll tot he top to get the video.

Edited by Stanglover

Geoff.

4 minutes ago, 73inNH said:

Perfect. My car runs cool now, however it has a flex fan and no clutch. I like the clutch setup, but more importantly I want the flex fan gone.   :)

Yes indeed get rid of that dangerous flex fan asap.

Geoff.

Here's the parts list and links. 

The clutch you need is the Hayden 2710, or you can use a 2711 for 3/8" more clearance to the radiator. The fan blade is Derale 18" 17118 or 17" 17117 - measure to see which one fits best, factory fans were either 17 1/2" or 18 1/2" depending upon engine and options. I recommend a stud kit to attach the clutch to the water pump, as using bolts in this application is a serious lesson in frustration.

Bolts to attach the fan to the clutch are 5/16-18 x 5/8" w/lock washer. 

Hayden 2710 clutch:  https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1793512&jsn=2293

Hayden 2711 clutch:  https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-2711-Premium-Clutch/dp/B000C39BYQ

Derale 17" fan:  https://www.amazon.com/Derale-17117-Clutch-Standard-Rotation/dp/B0006HNLSA

Derale 18" fan:  https://www.amazon.com/Derale-17118-Clutch-Standard-Rotation/dp/B004XONYK2

Dorman HELP! stud kit:   https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Help-23733-Water-Pump/dp/B000CO779G

1 hour ago, Hemikiller said:

Derale 17" fan

I have a Derale flex, bought long ago in the 90's. As i've seen a few times notices about the way flex type could develop over time as dangerous things. I've inspected mine a couple of times, and at this point in time/use, I'd say looks like not every flex fan are/were made same way. I keep an eye on it but mine shows no sign metal defect or play at rivets or anything indicating something could go south any moment. I have no cooling issues at all with it either, no clutch needed at least for now.

That having said, I know my 429 will get a clutch, the original fan is some serious baby that doesn't need to turn when cold for sure. Both my t-birds 5.0 had these clutches and I know they are very effective. Even liked  the sound they made. Thanks for the links, I've bookmarked that Hayden clutch for my next rockauto order, need to check first if they'd fit for a 429...

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

1 hour ago, Fabrice said:

I have a Derale flex, bought long ago in the 90's. As i've seen a few times notices about the way flex type could develop over time as dangerous things. I've inspected mine a couple of times, and at this point in time/use, I'd say looks like not every flex fan are/were made same way. I keep an eye on it but mine shows no sign metal defect or play at rivets or anything indicating something could go south any moment. I have no cooling issues at all with it either, no clutch needed at least for now.

That having said, I know my 429 will get a clutch, the original fan is some serious baby that doesn't need to turn when cold for sure. Both my t-birds 5.0 had these clutches and I know they are very effective. Even liked  the sound they made. Thanks for the links, I've bookmarked that Hayden clutch for my next rockauto order, need to check first if they'd fit for a 429...

Fabrice, I'm sure you've read before that I used to work at the plant in Ontario where many flex fans were made for different automakers, Ford included. I've personally seen the damage they can do WHEN they blow up on test rigs. These things can look perfectly fine on the outside, BUT you can not see what is happening on the inside where the grain within the steel is getting stressed to the point of fracture. This is when they blow up and there's NO warning. Certainly, not all flex fan blades will ever get to this point, but many have and been responsible for killing people. The condition may be caused where fracture is possible during the heat treatment cycle. 

Safest bet, get rid of it and NEVER use a used one from a junk yard or anyone else.

Geoff.

3 hours ago, Hemikiller said:

Here's the parts list and links. 

The clutch you need is the Hayden 2710, or you can use a 2711 for 3/8" more clearance to the radiator. The fan blade is Derale 18" 17118 or 17" 17117 - measure to see which one fits best, factory fans were either 17 1/2" or 18 1/2" depending upon engine and options. I recommend a stud kit to attach the clutch to the water pump, as using bolts in this application is a serious lesson in frustration.

Bolts to attach the fan to the clutch are 5/16-18 x 5/8" w/lock washer. 

Hayden 2710 clutch:  https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1793512&jsn=2293

Hayden 2711 clutch:  https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Automotive-2711-Premium-Clutch/dp/B000C39BYQ

Derale 17" fan:  https://www.amazon.com/Derale-17117-Clutch-Standard-Rotation/dp/B0006HNLSA

Derale 18" fan:  https://www.amazon.com/Derale-17118-Clutch-Standard-Rotation/dp/B004XONYK2

Dorman HELP! stud kit:   https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-Help-23733-Water-Pump/dp/B000CO779G

Good info Hemikiller, 

I got my fan and fan clutch from Summit Racing. Mainly because it was all in one place and shipping was simplified to Canada.

As for bolts, yeah, you're right, they are a PITA. I bought G8 bolts from a local hardware store (TSC) I also used blue loctite on them and made sure the split in the washers was over the hub and not the slot, very important.

Geoff.

On 6/17/2021 at 7:01 PM, Stanglover said:

Safest bet, get rid of it and NEVER use a used one from a junk yard or anyone else.

Let me rephrase then: Gonna save some money for a new fan, not get rid of it but use as nice wall deco. Oh and we have no junk yards with US cars any more over here.Ok? :D

Edited by Fabrice

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

46 minutes ago, Fabrice said:

Let me rephrase then: Gonna save some money for a new fan, not get rid of it but use as nice wall deco. Oh and we have no junk yards with US cars anyone over here.Ok? :D

Wall art is good. Did NOT mean to ruffle your feathers, calm down. All is good.

Geoff.

They were all flex fans originally no clutch. There was a recall due to fans breaking and actually killed a couple people. I never took my 73 in for the recall so it has the killer fan on it and yes it is flex. I ordered new and one ower.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Posted (edited)

Did this today, successfully!

Used the parts above, but bought class 8 bolts at local hardware store. Rid of the flex fan, and on with a clutch fan!

Heck of a time getting the clutch bolts on the water pump. Doable, but real tight. My arms are scraped. Would be so much easier with radiator out.

Edited by 73inNH
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I did mine today. Took all of about 15 minutes to install. My shroud had two screws in the top. I removed those and the shroud leaned towards the engine which allowed me to access the fan and also the bolts on the water pump.

When I started it up, I couldn't believe the amount of air being pushed out of the engine compartment.

My original fan was a 17" flex fan. It didn't fit very well in the shroud having about a 2-in gap all the way around. I installed an 18-in clutch fan. Still have over an inch on each side of the shroud and also probably 3 in between the fan and the radiator.

I think the combination of larger fan and fitting in the shroud better combined with the clutch fan has made a huge difference. 

After I took the flex fan off I did a little inspection of the rivets holding the blades in place. I found a hairline fracture on one of the blades. Probably just going to be a matter of time before that one came flying off.

Thanks for all the info guys. You guys did all the hard work for me by researching part numbers etc. 

• Like 1

Mustang Newb
71 Mach 1 351 Cleveland

PSX-20191214-161048.jpg