Jump to content

What did you do to your car today?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well I started today with the goal of getting the leaf springs off to replace the bushings. The bolts won that battle, but I got a case of the "since I'm here"s and ended up stripping and painting the

My car came with factory 8 Track, but the player was DOA. I wanted to keep the look, but integrate Bluetooth. So I bought a board on eBay that can easily power the 4 speakers. I hogged out the guts of

Shiny new thing showed up from Quick Performance today....     

Posted Images

On 12/25/2020 at 11:04 PM, Don C said:

Have you tried jumping the horns directly from the battery? Pretty common for 50 year old horns to give it up. Also, check the voltage at the horn connectors when someone is pushing the horn.

Horn issue figured out, I have an aftermarket adapter kit, the contacts at the back are making contact only at certain points, so if you hold the horn and turn the wheel they come on and off. Today was speedo cable snapped .......nothing like driving along then tapping noises and you think the motor is on the way out , only to find the speedo cable broken. 

 

Have other issues as well but will post them in the engine section.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never had very good luck with aftermarket steering wheel horns, either.

Yes, it seems like there is always some different problem coming up with old cars.

Good luck.

 

 

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/30/2020 at 3:09 PM, Idaho Chris said:

I rebuilt my 45 year old Autolite alternator.

Before, during and after photos below:

 

20201230_095410.jpg

20201229_101926.jpg

20201230_095608.jpg

20201230_095340.jpg

Just curious: Is it possible to increase the alternator's output during a rebuild?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, the upgrade kits used to be readily available. The only ones I could find during a quick search is here

DIY Alternator upgrade & repair kits, Quick Start Kits (alternatorparts.com)

Not sure if they're selling parts or advertisements, though.

 

 

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Don C said:

Yes, the upgrade kits used to be readily available. The only ones I could find during a quick search is here

DIY Alternator upgrade & repair kits, Quick Start Kits (alternatorparts.com)

Not sure if they're selling parts or advertisements, though.

Interesting, that could be a good way to stay original but be able to handle increased power draw from an amp or upgraded lights, etc.

Thanks @Don C

Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent most of my nearly 2 week break cleaning, cleaning and cleaning some more. I got the bell housing and transmission painted and the engine ready to paint. The wiring harness has been pulled. 

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

  • Like 2

[align=left]Jeff T.

 

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good progress, Jeff. The trans looks already really good. Anything special on the engine or do you keep it as is and painting it Ford Blue?

  • Like 1

Tim

 

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Tim, I'm just cleaning up and re-sealing what's there. It's a mild 2v engine with a little head work and a Comp 268H cam. The plan is to paint it the same color as the trans and bell housing. I have a performer intake and some polished motorsports valve covers to dress it up a bit. The water pump did not clean up very well so it's getting painted too. 

  • Like 1

[align=left]Jeff T.

 

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, droptop73 said:

Thanks Tim, I'm just cleaning up and re-sealing what's there. It's a mild 2v engine with a little head work and a Comp 268H cam. The plan is to paint it the same color as the trans and bell housing. I have a performer intake and some polished motorsports valve covers to dress it up a bit. The water pump did not clean up very well so it's getting painted too. 

Sounds good! Why changing a good running system... After that you will have a clean and tidy look of your engine bay :thumb:

  • Like 1

Tim

 

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I sure hope so! LOL!! I plan to start adding back in the A/C components too as that is a priority to get functioning again. 

  • Like 1

[align=left]Jeff T.

 

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, droptop73 said:

I sure hope so! LOL!! I plan to start adding back in the A/C components too as that is a priority to get functioning again. 

Sure - hurry up, summer is coming soon :biggrin:

Tim

 

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, droptop73 said:

I spent most of my nearly 2 week break cleaning, cleaning and cleaning some more. I got the bell housing and transmission painted and the engine ready to paint. The wiring harness has been pulled. 

IMG_3123.jpg

IMG_3117.jpg

IMG_3119.jpg

IMG_3120.jpg

Jeff-

Your hood latch and support look like you have already cleaned them up and repainted.  A question for you: How did you clean them?  I am looking to do the same to mine.  Normally I bead blast the crud and old paint before priming and painting, but I am worried about not being able to get all the beads out of the mechanism and there is no way to completely disassemble it.  Any pointers?  Thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Idaho Chris said:

Jeff-

Your hood latch and support look like you have already cleaned them up and repainted.  A question for you: How did you clean them?  I am looking to do the same to mine.  Normally I bead blast the crud and old paint before priming and painting, but I am worried about not being able to get all the beads out of the mechanism and there is no way to completely disassemble it.  Any pointers?  Thanks. 

Hi Chris, I've been cleaning with Super Clean with rags and brushes. I did blast some parts years ago but would not blast the latch mechanism. 

  • Like 1

[align=left]Jeff T.

 

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, droptop73 said:

Hi Chris, I've been cleaning with Super Clean with rags and brushes. I did blast some parts years ago but would not blast the latch mechanism. 

Thanks.  That was my plan as well.  I agree about not blasting the mechanism.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yummy 😋😃😃 

A 4.11 with 31 spline... Which transmission so you connect with?

Tim

 

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you will break that unit. Looks to be very stout. 4.11 will be fun on the street. I have 3.89 in the Mach and 4.30 in the Cougar, lots of fun. Chuck

Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to sanding on the 72 Q vert. Working on the engine compartment. PO had already painted but needs some more attention.
I had not paid any attention to the hood was packed in corner in a stack of hoods. I had a visitor so got him to help move them around ang got it out. The PO had coated the back of the NASA hood with something, looks like crap. I have found nothing that will take it off. Think it is bed liner. So I will have to prep another hood. Next time to Chem Strip will take it back and get it stripped.

  • Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, timachone said:

Yummy 😋😃😃 

A 4.11 with 31 spline... Which transmission so you connect with?

Wide ratio toploader 4 speed. 

 

3 hours ago, c9zx said:

I don't think you will break that unit. Looks to be very stout. 4.11 will be fun on the street. I have 3.89 in the Mach and 4.30 in the Cougar, lots of fun. Chuck

Seriously doubt I will either. TrueTrac LSD has a great reputation. Have to order axles and eventually the driveshaft. 

  • Like 1

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone needs stronger rear my friend just took out a 35 spline 9" of his GTO that had very few passes. No gear just the Detroit locker center. Will have to find out what he wants.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Link to post
Share on other sites

Had to drop an old set of headers off to the machine shop. The Hookers point inwards, and run into the stand for the dyno absorber. Gave him an ancient set that he can heat up and "adjust" to clear the stand. It should be mounted up on the dyno tomorrow and running by Saturday. 

 

 

PXL_20210107_000750892.jpg

  • Like 2

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

More cleaning and more painting... that's gonna be my life for a while. Gotta get stuff ready for pulling wire. 

[align=left]Jeff T.

 

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally decided to tackle my exhaust.  When I  got my car 11 months ago the first thing I noticed that I did not like were the turn down exhaust tips.  Soon after I got the car I brought it to a shop to have some mechanicals done, fender apron under battery replaced, etc.  I also had them paint a rear valance with exhaust cutouts I had picked up, I mounted it when I got the car home.  But for the past 9 months or so I kept looking at those empty exhaust cutouts.  This has been my COVID-19 project and I broke down to sections with the exhaust being one of the last.  Using the Holley 15807 pipes I was able to finesse them (at least the driver side for today) into place.  The 157807 specifically says not for valance with cut outs but after some questions and answers here I was advised you can make them work.  The only thing I really had to do was fabricate my own exhaust hanger at the rear to bring the tip up into the cutout, the stock one would not work.  

 

 

 

 

new exhaust.jpg

exhaust 014.JPG

exhaust 015.JPG

Edited by jscott
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...