Sound Deadener/insulation question.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible, factory 302, disc brakes and A/C. Started to rebuild it all original but elected to go full tilt and rebuilt everything in the drivetrain, a/c, cooling, etc. etc. etc.
Has anyone tried this as a sound deadening/insulation material. I have seen some owners use it on another forum and it is supposed to be similar to the name brand dynamat, fatmat etc. that sells for big bucks. This is available at Lowes and much more reasonably priced.

095959062513lg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out Eastwood's sound / heat deadener. Friend of mine just finished installing it in a 67 coupe so I had a chance to check it out. Very, very similar to Dynomat at 1/2 the cost

Depending on what you are trying to insulate, we used heating/AC insulation.

That "bubble/silver" material you cut to size found at most hardware stores.

Comes in rolls, just cut what you need and use 3M 8090 adhesive to stick it

down. We used it behind the rear seat and side panels. Plan to use it on the roof

when we replace the headliner. Can't remember what we used on the floor,

but it was a floor specific sound deadener.

mike

DO NOT use asphalt based sound deadener in your vehicle. Unless you want it to smell like a tar pit.

ONLY use butyl based products. Of course Butyle based materials are more costly (Dynamat for example) but you can get a hybrid material that is much cheaper and doesnt put off an odor or not for long.

http://www.b-quiet.com/ultimate.html

This product works well. Of course there is the spray on stuff too like second skin and Lizard Skin. I would use this on the underside of the car. but on the inside, under upholstery and carpet, go with a product like b-quiet or GTMAT.

http://www.gtmat.com/gt_mat_sound_deadener_products.html

You will be glad you did. Especially when you car has been baking in the sun a few hours.

http://www.gtmat.com/vs-dynamat.html

Has anyone tried this as a sound deadening/insulation material. I have seen some owners use it on another forum and it is supposed to be similar to the name brand dynamat, fatmat etc. that sells for big bucks. This is available at Lowes and much more reasonably priced.
I've done some research on this subject, do a search on this site for "Dynamat Xtreme Bulk Pak". I've decided on RAAMMAT, it has great reviews and the price is reasonable.

http://www.raamaudio.com/raammat-bxt-ii-bulk-pack-20-sheets-37-5-sq-ft-real-automotive-sound-deadener-best-there-is-for-the-money-period-please-click-to-see-product-description/

I've done some research on this subject, do a search on this site for "Dynamat Xtreme Bulk Pak". I've decided on RAAMMAT, it has great reviews and the price is reasonable.

http://www.raamaudio.com/raammat-bxt-ii-bulk-pack-20-sheets-37-5-sq-ft-real-automotive-sound-deadener-best-there-is-for-the-money-period-please-click-to-see-product-description/
I havent used this but it looks like it may be a good product. It is Butyl based (not asphalt) so thats a good thing.

Keep us posted.

Butyl based so it should be a good product.

Keep us posted and maybe Ill try this next.

We have used DYNAMAT with extremely good results.

I do not recommend taping/gluing to the door. 500 miles after you tape that sucker securely to the door, I guarantee you are going to have to get back in the for a door latch or a window guide repair. ugh.

I picked up 3 35 sq ft kits for the interior of mine. One 35 sq ft kit only covered from the firewall to roughly the back edge of the seat platforms.

If you watch the video on Raamaudio.com, they are talking about their 35 sq ft kit offering coverage for basic sound deadening - which doesn't actually cover ALL of the areas you'd think so. I got plenty extra to do the full deal.

how much to do the entire trunk and passenger compartment?

We have used DYNAMAT with extremely good results.

I do not recommend taping/gluing to the door. 500 miles after you tape that sucker securely to the door, I guarantee you are going to have to get back in the for a door latch or a window guide repair. ugh.
Good point. Second skin makes a thickener that when you add it to their spray on product becomes a thick sludge. Its actually called sludge. You put it on with a putty knife and it hardens and has good adhesion. This may be a good alternative to stick on products that may unpeel in a door.

Realize on a large panel such as a door skin, all that is needed is a small 10" -12" area in the center of the panel to dramatically cut down door resonance. No need to go up the sides of the door frames.

Not from me yet, but I have decided to go with the RAAMMAT. I am still waiting to get my car back from my builder. I should have it in another week or so then I will begin on the interior.

thanks for the response!

I think I'm going with the Lowe's product for floors and rear panel areas and firewall. I'm probably headed for the B-Quiet product for the doors and roof. Since my car is black and I live in Texas i need some protection from the heat.

I used the stuff from eastwood with great results and good price. Made a world of difference on my feet from the heat from running headers. Also cut road noise down considerably.

I used the stuff from eastwood with great results and good price. Made a world of difference on my feet from the heat from running headers. Also cut road noise down considerably.
What areas did you cover and how many square feet did you REALLY use? I just checked and their cheap stuff covers 35 sq ft vs 50 sq ft....but like the way they have it laying down and contours to the body.

What areas did you cover and how many square feet did you REALLY use? I just checked and their cheap stuff covers 35 sq ft vs 50 sq ft....but like the way they have it laying down and contours to the body.
At first I bought the 35 sq ft box and did my firewall,floor pans, including shifter hump, and back to the passengers feet in rear. Then i ordered a couple more single pieces to do under the passenger seat in the back. Well worth the money. Contours very nicely and sticks well. I used a little neoprene roller to get it to contour really nice. Cuts really easy with a decent pair of scissors. i used a little wd40 on the scissors to keep them from sticking to the piece i was cutting. I will look and see if i can dig up some pics of the install. 1 kit will do to just behind the front seats. So if you want more order some extra.

At first I bought the 35 sq ft box and did my firewall,floor pans, including shifter hump, and back to the passengers feet in rear. Then i ordered a couple more single pieces to do under the passenger seat in the back. Well worth the money. Contours very nicely and sticks well. I used a little neoprene roller to get it to contour really nice. Cuts really easy with a decent pair of scissors. i used a little wd40 on the scissors to keep them from sticking to the piece i was cutting. I will look and see if i can dig up some pics of the install. 1 kit will do to just behind the front seats. So if you want more order some extra.

Hoping to get to this project this weekend! Any other comments ...any results from the above??
Lowes stuff=Tar pit smell especially in high heat...I did the Camaro in Raam Mat great stuff..very good price..I'm going to be using it in both of my Machs

Back