Sound Deadener/insulation question.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so you have "experienced" Raam Matt? Most everybody I've talked to highly recommends products.....yet you find out there car has never been on the road with the product. Last guy to recommend Ramm Matt "highly recommended" it. First he's an azz so that is the first reason i wouldnt buy it. Then I find out his car has not seen the street since the install. He just likes to be right all the time. So I refuse to buy anything he suggest.

With that said i trust "YOUR" judgement...thanks!!!

YES..installed used in my 71 Camaro..EXCELLENT PRODUCT !! Made a huge difference in the interior sound level..The car has been driven for 2 summers now..(I drive it every week during the summer)

Last edited by a moderator:
YES..installed used in my 71 Camaro..EXCELLENT PRODUCT !! Made a huge difference in the interior sound level..The car has been driven for 2 summers now..(I drive it every week during the summer)
Good, I'll put that off till next weekend so I can order some.

Lowes stuff=Tar pit smell especially in high heat...I did the Camaro in Raam Mat great stuff..very good price..I'm going to be using it in both of my Machs
Do you know about the tar smell from experience, or from someone else you trust?

Thanks

Lowes stuff=Tar pit smell especially in high heat...I did the Camaro in Raam Mat great stuff..very good price..I'm going to be using it in both of my Machs
Do you know about the tar smell from experience, or from someone else you trust?

Thanks
I did a trans am I had with the lowes stuff..Glad I flipped it :rolleyes:

IMG_20130201_181745.jpg

Thanks
Not sure about the tar pit smell complaints. I bought one roll of the Lowe's peal & seal to test, opened the package and yes there is a smell only because its been sealed in a package. I let it air out a few days and tested it on a scrap piece of steel. I heated up till it was red hot (no smell) Put it in a snowbank overnight and heated it up again. (no smell) Then I sealed it in an ice chest overnight and still (no smell) To be honest my new headliner smells but not the peal & seal. It should take about 3 rolls at $16 a roll to do the complete interior roof, floorboards, and area behind the rear seat. That's about half the price of anything on the market

I saw a new 3M sound deadener for about $20.00 a box. I don't know much about it but 3M has a great reputation. Does anyone have information about this?
My next door neighbor works at a paint and supply store and showed me the 3M stuff. Looked pretty good.

so you have "experienced" Raam Matt? Most everybody I've talked to highly recommends products.....yet you find out there car has never been on the road with the product. Last guy to recommend Ramm Matt "highly recommended" it. First he's an azz so that is the first reason i wouldnt buy it. Then I find out his car has not seen the street since the install. He just likes to be right all the time. So I refuse to buy anything he suggest.
So... who is this "last guy that highly recommended it?" I ask because I was the last person in the thread to indicate that I had purchased and installed it, and you are correct: my car hasn't been on the road or is even running yet. With consideration to that, one could assume that I could be the "azz" in reference. As well, I'm pretty sure that I don't suffer from "gotta always be right" syndrome, either. A little more clarification could go a long way. :huh:

BTW, I went with RAAMat on Scott's recommendation as well. I also picked up some of their 'closed cell foam' material, which will go on the doors, roof, and quarters along with the RAAMat. Being in Texas myself, I'm pretty sure the heat reflective and insulating qualities alone will be worth it when I fire up the A/C.

Can't remember what I used but the car is very quiet inside.

Got it from NPD or CJPony as they were my primary suppliers

back in the day. The car has glass packs with no glass left and

is very loud outside.

mike

Lizard Skin on mine

http://www.lizardskin.com/

So... who is this "last guy that highly recommended it?" I ask because I was the last person in the thread to indicate that I had purchased and installed it, and you are correct: my car hasn't been on the road or is even running yet. With consideration to that, one could assume that I could be the "azz" in reference. As well, I'm pretty sure that I don't suffer from "gotta always be right" syndrome, either. A little more clarification could go a long way. :huh:

BTW, I went with RAAMat on Scott's recommendation as well. I also picked up some of their 'closed cell foam' material, which will go on the doors, roof, and quarters along with the RAAMat. Being in Texas myself, I'm pretty sure the heat reflective and insulating qualities alone will be worth it when I fire up the A/C.
My buddy put Ram matt in his Nova and camaro and loves it. Also have another buddy who used it and liked it.

My personal experience was with damplifier and Spectrum. Amazing stuff. I did everything from the Firewall back to the rear tail lights with two/three coat of Spectrum and used Damplifier on the big metal areas. I used standard Damplifier and seemed to work well. Make sure to roll it down good. Shown in first pic.

The Spectrum in the first pic is still wet and it dried from a nice ford blue to nearly a black. The more coats, the more vibration reduction. SUPER easy to coat and spray and cleans up with soap and water. As you can see, you can shoot it up in nooks and crannies to get as much coverage as possible. I just covered everything with it. You do need to either tape off threaded holes (like seats/seatbelts) or be prepared to retap them.

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/

I run a 12" sub with 800 Watt class D. NO VIBRATION WHAT SO EVER. The only thing that vibrates is my rear spoiler on the trunk...LOL

Your mileage may vary... :D

Here are some pics:

IMG00964-20110219-1213.jpg

IMG00974-20110220-1757.jpg

IMG01028-20110227-1001.jpg

IMG01036-20110227-1728.jpg

I used the dynamatt under the carpet last year when we had the interior out last year. It did an assume job of keeping the noise of the exhaust down when I wanted it, ie., when I rolled up the window.

You can also install smaller panels in the doors to make the interior even quieter on the rare occasions that you don't want to hear the engine and exhaust.

All,

I'm now ready to apply the sound deadener... finally. Due to budget constraints and an upcoming furlough (I'm a federal employee), I've had to take a hard look at what I need to get the car done, not necessarily what I want.

I went out and bought a package of the lowes stuff. I just opened it and got a really strong smell of tar. I'm going to leave it open for a few days and see what it smells like. If there is any hint of a tar smell, I "may" use it on my trunk, but I will wait until I can afford the RAAMAT to use on the inside of the car.

I'll update this post in a few days.

I used peel n seal on the floor of our car and it greatly reduced the sound and exhaust resonance. I will use dynomat or similar product on the roof before the headliner goes in because I didn't want to risk it with the Lowes stuff. No funny tar smell yet.

Latest posts

Back