157 flywheel 28 oz. to cleveland

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims72

Reaction score
My Car
Original owner of 72 flat back
OK, I know it'll work with proper bellhousing, my question, is there a problem with the starter? Which one works?

I installed a full manual transmission kit from modern driveline onto my cleveland. Part of that kit is a 157 tooth, 28oz flywheel and the bell housing to go with it.

When I asked about the starter, they said that some guys have ok results with the OEM starter from the 71-73 automatic cars. But as those wear out, they dont all act exactly the same, so its hit or miss if your automatic tranny starter will work. If you are buying new, a starter from a 302 fox body mustang will work. It doesnt matter if its automatic or manual, they will all work.

I didn't even bother trying my old starter. I went to autozone and got one for a '88 GT mustang and gave them my old one as a core. Haven't had any issues out of it.

Thanks G, I have a 84 5.0 starter that I'll start with. Anyway point is there's something that'll work.

The 157 tooth manual flywheel will use the "long nose" starter for an automatic application. The reason for this is the placement of the ring gear on the flywheel - see pic below. Interchange # is 3124. If you decide to go with a late model PMGR starter, then a 93 5.0 Mustang is an application to use. The interchange number for that starter is 3268.

1696685421415.jpeg

The wiring for the PMGR is easy. Add a 12GA wire running along your existing starter cable and connect it to the solenoid trigger terminal. The other end of the original starter cable will then move to the front lug of the starter solenoid, and the new trigger wire will go to the rear lug where the starter cable used to be. I've attached the Motorsport wiring sheet below.

FYI - you cannot "jumper" the starter solenoid on a PMGR starter, it will cause the drive to hang in the ring gear teeth.

1696684965381.png

Attachments

• FORDINSTSHTM-11000-B51-MT164.PDF
    263.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
The 157 tooth manual flywheel will use the "long nose" starter for an automatic application. The reason for this is the placement of the ring gear on the flywheel - see pic below. Interchange # is 3124. If you decide to go with a late model PMGR starter, then a 93 5.0 Mustang is an application to use. The interchange number for that starter is 3268.

View attachment 82153

The wiring for the PMGR is easy. Add a 12GA wire running along your existing starter cable and connect it to the solenoid trigger terminal. The other end of the original starter cable will then move to the front lug of the starter solenoid, and the new trigger wire will go to the rear lug where the starter cable used to be. I've attached the Motorsport wiring sheet below.

FYI - you cannot "jumper" the starter solenoid on a PMGR starter, it will cause the drive to hang in the ring gear teeth.

View attachment 82151

Back