1971 Spring Sport

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! I had heard of the Sprint Pkg., but not the Spring Sport. Another cool case of vintage Mustang trivia!

I've been working on this car on and off for 3 years. I originally bought it to teach my two sons how to repair/work on cars. We did the brakes and some engine tune-up work. Then we started on doing the body work to prepare it for paint. Soon after starting the body work, the boys lost interest and I was left with the car to complete. I just did not manage the restoration process to an agreed upon time line. Anyways..... I finally finished the body work and just got it back from the paint shop. I will post the before and after photos momentarily.

Here is the picture of the car from the 70's era which the original owner gave me. The photo was a polaroid and it has lost its color brightness. The photo shows it to be like a yellow but it was a grabber green. I drove by this car for 8+ years and it aggravated me each time as the color was so nauseating. We did buy it and started restoration work on it to remove the nausea.

We removed the vinyl top and did most of the body work in the first 6 months and then the boys started college and I was left to finish it up. I'm embarrassed to say that it took 3+ years to get it to the paint shop but I did and I got it back about 2 week ago.

We went with 1971 Dark Metallic Green and highlights in 1971 Metallic Silver. I have many parts to put back on including front and rear spoilers, side racing mirrors, and all of the interior. Here is how it looks today!

Unfortunately a sign of the times with a lot of kids these days, interest factor lasts as long until the next fad or latest gadget comes along. With cars becoming more and more reliable and with all the latest mod cons and gadgets on board these days, more kids just look at the old cars as too much hard work and takes time away from sitting on electronic crap worrying about what's happening in everyone else's lives. I go to a few car events and the younger kids are taking a bigger interest in them now and my grandson loves being hands on and helping out, plus the ride in "his" vert is something he just loves. When I do see or hear of kids especially teenage ones getting into cars and being hands on with them, I'm happy to see their interest in the hobby and it's better doing that than sitting in front of gadgets wasting their time like our son.

Glad you didn't give up on the car after your boys lost interest and you persevered through with it and got it to the stage it is now. So many times I've seen cars start out as good intentions as a family bonding project, only to loose interest and sold off or worse still, dumped outside and left to rot. One thing I never do when doing a project is put a time limit on things, because life just keeps getting in the way and and next thing you know is that time is already and your only part way through. My theory is, when it's finished, it's finished and don't care how long it really takes as long as the finished product is what you want. Good luck with the rest of the build and the finished product in the end is what it's all about. With any luck seeing the finished product may just spark their interests back to your car and give them the drive to be into the hobby once again.

BTW just saw the pics after posting, car looks great and will be a nice car when finished. Unfortunately the old pics don't usually hold up too well and don't show the true look of the vehicle back in its day. Anyway great job and keep up the great work.

Last edited by a moderator:
4Vforever,

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I appreciate the words about persevering until the job is done. I pushed myself during the hot days and the freezing days to just keep moving the project forward. Now, it is getting a lot more fun putting all the parts back in after painting and restoring them. Soon, within a month, it will be done to a point where I can say "If I did nothing more I am satisfied with the results". If nothing else, I want my sons to see how hard work and persistence will make the project go to completion. It also is a solid reminder to me that nothing good comes easy. Like you mentioned about kids spending all their time with their faces to a screen, your project car is never going to get done texting and posting on facebook.

I learned car repair from my father, who was a business analyst in the bay area from 1960 - 1985. He was a do-it-yourselfer. In the early 80's my dad started flipping '65 - '66 Mustang convertibles. He asked me to read thru the PennySaver newspaper on Tuesdays when it was delivered looking for Mustang convertibles that were priced below $600. We'd see one every other week or so and try to get to it before anyone else. We got to quite a few of them. He'd bring them home and my brother and I would do body work, and engine repair on them. Then he'd go down to Miracle Auto painting and get their $99 or $129 paint job. He'd make $600 or $700 on each car and he was fat and happy. I never thought the convertibles were THAT great but I did fall in love with the FASTBACK. There was 1966 V8 Fastback that I rode by on my bicycle on my way to school each day that never moved. This was 1985. I kept my eye on it. Then one day, I just went up to the front door, knocked and asked if they wanted to sell it. They said they would but it would cost me $900. I left their house, peddled madly back to home, and that night I bought my first car. My Dad was a good man but not a fool with money. He said I had to pay for the whole thing, which I had saved up for mowing lawns for $4/week. To this day, it was the best $900 I've ever spent. The car has probably traded hands 4 or 5 more times since I owned it but I'm sure it is being babied by some owner who is happy to own it.

Very cool. My daughter likes helping me with the mustang for now. Trying to keep her interested. I even purchased a 73 vert that the plan is to. Hold for her when she turns 16. Will be a restomod with fuel injection etc. as for now she just likes spending time with dad in the garage and I am more than happy with that. I sure hope she will keep up the interest but I really want my kids to learn how to work on and fix cars like I did from my father. They never got to meet their grandpa but he would be proud. He would have been 64 yesterday.

Gary,

Based on the pictures I'd say you have nothing to apologize for as it looks great! It will be on the road soon enough and you'll be enjoying the fruits of your labor!

Very cool. My daughter likes helping me with the mustang for now. Trying to keep her interested. I even purchased a 73 vert that the plan is to. Hold for her when she turns 16. Will be a restomod with fuel injection etc. as for now she just likes spending time with dad in the garage and I am more than happy with that. I sure hope she will keep up the interest but I really want my kids to learn how to work on and fix cars like I did from my father. They never got to meet their grandpa but he would be proud. He would have been 64 yesterday.

That's a perfect way for daughter's to remember their fathers as working in the garage with them fixing cars. She'll have fond memories of that for years to come. I was able to entice my daughter to re-paint the red, white, and blue stripes on the Mustang emblem on the front grille. It takes a steady hand. It turned out great and now she has at least a little memory of helping Dad with his restoration project.

Gary,

Based on the pictures I'd say you have nothing to apologize for as it looks great! It will be on the road soon enough and you'll be enjoying the fruits of your labor!

Thank you for the nice words. I see a lot of great Mustang photos on this site which really inspired me to make this little project like one of them. I found a 71 Mach 1 with a paint scheme I liked and have been modeling my project after that. I still have the sport mirrors to install, front spoiler, rear spoiler, and side body stripes. Then, add the Magnum 500 wheels and wa-la, my finished project. I will update the post as it progresses. Thanks again.

The guy wanted $3500 for the 72 and he thought it was a Mach 1 because the salesman told him that in 72. The engine compartment was a time capsule still had every factory sticker and even the letters that you see on concours cars on the firewall. The drivetrain was the only thing of value 351 CJ 4speed and locking 3.25 rear. The hood had separated from rust and the floors crunched when I touched them. The last 71 I saw was a lime green with black stripes in Hampton VA for $2000. Needed total resto. They are nice looking rides restored.

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/showcar.cgi?pic=/1971/1971_00028_01

From "Mustang Special Editions". In it is a page and 3/4 long article about the 1971 "Special Value Package", also known as the "Spring Special" or the "Sport Coupe". They made 9,003 of them, all coupes (obviously), and all engine options were available.
Probably looked like this:

Congrats on the new paint.
Mike,

Thanks or the reply. It took some time to find a place that would do the paint using the hood pattern popular on NACA hoods. I went with Miracle Auto Painting in Sunnyvale, CA. The shop manager, Oliver, was terrific. He would send me before and after photos to make sure it was to my liking. It is a 2-stage paint job, base + clear coat. If anyone is in the Bay Area needing a semi-custom paint job, I recommend going to see Oliver. The owners of the paint shop, Dave and Marie, are both helpful and enjoyable.

Hey guys. I just recently got a 1971 Spring Sport coupe. Apparently, there are around 500 made and I've only found one on the web that someone has. Does anybody know anything about these cars?

Thanks
Here's a few pictures of my parents 71 Spring Special that we just finished up about a month ago, we have had the car since 1973.
York0060,

That is one nice '71 Spring Special. The black on white is a great combination. I love the body stripes and the Magnum 500 wheels. I can't wait to get my car to that stage. Thanks for sharing this car. It is 'maybe' the nicest 71 Spring Specials I've seen on this site.

How much we're the ones for sale going for?
While the cars are neat and somewhat unique,  they are not overly valuable.  One thing that makes them more rare is many bought and used them for parts.  So to find one mostly original is tough. I remember some kids (sorry) bought one and ruined the originality on Youtube.  It was red.  After they were done it looked just like any other modded coupe.  

IMHO The only way a 71 Spring Special car would bring a serious premium would be because of the desirable drivetrain.  One with an M, Q, C or J code in the VIN would surely increase the value and then to be mated with a 4 speed would bump it up a little too.

Ray

Back