1972 Mach 1 at Mecum.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Green with lovely avocado green interior is living life to its fullest)))
It’s like an extra boost back into the 70s. Not only are you driving a cool car but that avocado interior help transports me back to my teens. A time where avocado kitchen appliances existed. AHH those were the days.

To be clear guys, I like the green interiors, but my comment should have said why I liked the white, and not imply that I didn't like the green. It seems that the majority of the green cars back in the 70"s most often had the green interiors, and I thought it was cool that this one had a white interior.
My mom had a 1970 Sherwood Green Buick, wanna be GS, Skylark, that had the Sandlewood (tan) color interior. I loved that car, but back then a lot of folks thought it should have had the green interior. So I have a soft spot for green cars that have white/off white interiors.
You might wonder why I said "wanna be" GS. Get this, this was a Doctor's car before my folks bought it in 73. The Doctor always leased his cars, and he didn't believe in automatics, he didn't trust them, so it had a 3 on the tree. Well the Buick dealer hated getting his cars back at the end of the lease because they had trouble selling the cars because of the manual tranny, so they gave my Dad a great deal on this car, and since my Mom could drive a stick, it was no problem. To me as a 17 year old, it was a really cool car. First, 1970 Skylarks and GS's were probably the best looking year, and being Sherwood Green, it was a really pretty car, and so cool with A/C, and power windows. Eventually we swapped the 3 speed for a M 20 4 speed with a Hurst Competition plus bench seat shifter. I convinced Mom & Dad to let me put air shocks on it to jack up the rear a bit, and I found a set of Buick Magnum 500's for it, so of course I convinced them to get white letter tires when it was time to replace them, I loved my folks, and miss them so much. .
I had great folks too and like you I miss them, they wouldn’t allow me to beef up their car. But they didn’t care what I did to the car that I bought for a tent, a shotgun and $25.00 when I was 15. Hell they even let me keep it in their driveway.

I had great folks too and like you I miss them, they wouldn’t allow me to beef up their car. But they didn’t care what I did to the car that I bought for a tent, a shotgun and $25.00 when I was 15. Hell they even let me keep it in their driveway.
Well, on the change to the four speed, I kind of didn't give them a choice, I used to try to chirp 2nd and 3rd gear, which with Posi, would inevitable blow up the weak GM 3 speed. I got so good at changing the transmission before my folks could find out, I could do one in about 25 minutes. I knew every junk yard around, used to get one for 25 to 35 bucks. Well one time one of these probably100K plus miles transmissions broke on my Mom, so of course I had a solution ! "Oh yeah Mom and Dad, those 3 speeds are known to be junk, we should put a Muncie 4 speed in it" I wonder if my Dad ever wondered how I knew how to change that tranny so fast ! LOL

It is a very nice Mach1 and worth more than $45K, in my opinion. Have you check prices on parts lately, if you can get them. Chuck

I think that the only thing that let that car down was that it was a 72 instead of a 71. If it had been a 71 M code, it would have probably brought in more money. As soon as compression ratios go down on classic cars, the price plummets, even though a 72 is basically identical to a 71, and the Q code CJ engine probably runs very close to a 71 M code... Also, the economy is in a tailspin and people are looking at not spending that much money, less buyers out there willing to buy toys right now.

I think that the only thing that let that car down was that it was a 72 instead of a 71. If it had been a 71 M code, it would have probably brought in more money. As soon as compression ratios go down on classic cars, the price plummets, even though a 72 is basically identical to a 71, and the Q code CJ engine probably runs very close to a 71 M code... Also, the economy is in a tailspin and people are looking at not spending that much money, less buyers out there willing to buy toys right now.
Another thing to look at is what’s going to happen to our gas. It doesn’t make sense to buy a toy that you can’t get gas to run it. I’m not only talking about price, I’m thing about quality and quantity. I remember back in the 70 of waiting in gas lines with a limit on the amount you could buy. Also odd and even tag days. It’s ashamed that we go from a fuel independent nation to one that is begging OPEC and other nations for fuel. My wife said she heard there is only 25 days of diesel fuel in reserve which means the supply chain is going to be really bad effecting every aspect of our lives.

Another thing to look at is what’s going to happen to our gas. It doesn’t make sense to buy a toy that you can’t get gas to run it. I’m not only talking about price, I’m thing about quality and quantity. I remember back in the 70 of waiting in gas lines with a limit on the amount you could buy. Also odd and even tag days. It’s ashamed that we go from a fuel independent nation to one that is begging OPEC and other nations for fuel. My wife said she heard there is only 25 days of diesel fuel in reserve which means the supply chain is going to be really bad effecting every aspect of our lives.
I also saw the 25 day reserve of diesel fuel issue. Supposedly there was over 45 days of reserve just 2 months ago...

I also saw the 25 day reserve of diesel fuel issue. Supposedly there was over 45 days of reserve just 2 months ago...
What are your thoughts about California and they’re forcing everyone into electric cars. A state that doesn’t have enough electricity to run home air conditioners let alone charge their cars. There are a lot of nice classic cars in California that the government is working real hard to send to the crusher. Unless WE THE PEOPLE stop this kind of nonsense it’s going to spread through our whole country. I sure do miss the good ole days when the question of what do I have to do to protect the car I love from our government didn’t have to be entertained.

Back