1972 Q Code Convertible Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put it on a rack and look under it before buying, its east to doll up the outside.
That's great advice and I will do so. I also plan on crawling around underneath and using a magnet to make sure there is no bondo anywhere on the unibody or on the sheetmetal.

I do have one more question for everyone. I have attached a close up picture of the engine bay. As you can see, the air cleaner, snorkel and export braces are chromed. The owner said the Mustang has always been like this but I'm not sure if this is original.

Does anyone know if these are aftermarket parts, a factory option or a dealer added option?

Thanks.

9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The parts that are chrome were not originally. The "long" PS hose, if original, indicates the car was built before 05/01/72. Is the production date real early in the model year? The reason I ask is "officially" Ford wasn't allowed to sell RAM AIR on the 4V cars in 1972 (EPA issue). If remember correctly, all RAM AIR cars got the twist locks on the hood as well. It is rumored that some were produced early in the model year until EPA caught them. The last part of the VIN number should be stamped on the top of the block, at the rear of the block, passenger side I believe. There should also be a metal tag riveted to the 4 speed and a metal tag attached to one of the differential center section studs. A metal engine tag should be attached under the coil mounting bracket. I would verify and decode all of the above before making an offer. It does look like a very nice car however, trust but verify. Chuck

Put it on Ebay and put a $18K reserve and you will find out what it is worth. You can get appraisals and check all the guides you want but it all depends on what someone else wants to pay for it at the end of they day. ;)

Put it on Ebay and put a $18K reserve and you will find out what it is worth. You can get appraisals and check all the guides you want but it all depends on what someone else wants to pay for it at the end of they day. ;)
Hey Rex, I think he is looking to buy it, not sell it. See first post.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the ram air issue was on the 73 models, not the 72.

Regardless, Ford never chromed the braces (and by our years they were not just for export, all Mustangs have them). They wouldn't have taken on the extra cost. Same with the air cleaner. I think there were some that had a chrome cover but not the entire unit.

I don't beleive Ford ever chromed any of the air cleaner parts on the Ram Air cleaner.The lid only on the early Q codes.Late 73s got the standard air cleaner.I have seen several 72's with the ram air on the 4Vs.I am pretty sure the 73 s were the ones that did not get the ram air on the Q codes.The twist locks came with the two tone hood,even with out the ram air.

As noted in a couple of the posts above, the Ram Air Hood was available on both the 351C 2V and 351C 4V in 1972 per "Mustang..by the Numbers (1967-1973)." It was in the 1973 models where the option was limited to the 351 2V motors.

There goes a good Weekly Fun Question:).

BT

As noted in a couple of the posts above, the Ram Air Hood was available on both the 351C 2V and 351C 4V in 1972 per "Mustang..by the Numbers (1967-1973)." It was in the 1973 models where the option was limited to the 351 2V motors.

There goes a good Weekly Fun Question:).

BT

There seems to be a lot of contradictory information published on this subject. The 1972 "Mustang Accessory Price List", dated 10/15/1971, says available with 2V or 4V for $60.00. The "Mustang Recognition Guide" says at mid year,1972, Ram Air was restricted to 351c 2V. It also says Ram Air was only available with 351 2V in 1973. The MCA concours judging guide says "No Ram-Air units on 72-73 351 4V equipped cars without proper documentation." I've been tracking information on this for almost 2 years and I've not found an answer I consider definitive. With everyone's input maybe we can come up with an answer that is definitive. Everyone, please jump in on this subject.

Thanks, Chuck

Cannonball!!! Just jumping in.

All functional ram air hoods require the twist locks. I have not heard or seen to this point a correct functional ram air without the hood locks. I would agree that the export braces where not chromed from the factory nor the snorkel to the air cleaner. 351 CJ's did get a chrome lid on the air cleaner assembly. My 2 cents on this car is that you may possibly have a low mileage car, but there are enough things that are not connecting here to make me believe it is not 100% original. Some liberties have been taken to personalize it a bit in my opinion.

I would say it depends on when the '72 was ordered and/or built, Chuck.

According to the "sources", the ram air option was available on both the 2V and 4V motors for at least part of the '72 model year. I would think that if one had documentation showing his/her 1972 Mustang was ordered andor delivered with the option, there would not be a problem with the MCA judges. Of course, I do not do "show" cars, so I am not familiar with the rules:).

All "sources" appear to be consistent in stating the ram air option was only available on the 2V 351C Mustangs in '73.

BT

I would say it depends on when the '72 was ordered and/or built, Chuck.

According to the "sources", the ram air option was available on both the 2V and 4V motors for at least part of the '72 model year. I would think that if one had documentation showing his/her 1972 Mustang was ordered andor delivered with the option, there would not be a problem with the MCA judges. Of course, I do not do "show" cars, so I am not familiar with the rules:).

All "sources" appear to be consistent in stating the ram air option was only available on the 2V 351C Mustangs in '73.

BT
You are right about the judging and documentation. I used the judging rules as an aid in the restoration. The only way I know to tell if the car came with Ram Air is from the build sheet, block B40. A "F" in that block means it came with Ram Air, a "N" in that block means it did not come with Ram Air. I occasionally show cars. I also occasionally make some passes at the track. I guess that means I'm an occasional kind of guy. :)

Back