351c flex plate

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtassin

Reaction score
My Car
1972 ford mustang Mach 1
Again people:

I need your help. My engine/transmission is being rebuilt. The flex plate/ring gear has a few teeth messed up. I need to replace it. The flex plate measures 14 1/4" accross. Haven't counted the number of teeth. There is no identification on the part. The engine is a 351C "Q"

code bored 20 over with c6 auto transmission. I been researching but have been unable to determine the correct flex plate to replace it with. This car will be a weekend cruiser. I apppreciate all the help I can get.

Thanks,

JImmy T.

The parts interchange book I have calls for a 164 tooth, part #C6TZ-6375-C, for manual transmission applications, and 164 tooth, part #D1ZZ-6375-C for an auto tranny.

I can tell you to be very careful when buying one, as I was bitten by bad data in a NAPA computer when I asked for a 351C flexplate and they gave me the wrong one for the wrong 351C motor variation (although it was the right year). Net result: over $1200 damage to my tranny because the flexplate killed the front pump. Nicely enough, NAPA covered the entire cost to fix it since their computer was wrong.

Your best bet would be to take the part # I gave you above and have it cross-referenced before you plunk down your $$$.

I think 72 and 73 351 CJ with C6 and small high stall converter had a different flex plate VS 71 C6

Pioneer PN FRA-220, specifically for CJ convertor bolt pattern. $106 plus shipping from Summit Racing. It is a long story but I have a new in the box FRA-220 flexplate I'd sell for $75.00 + shipping from 73064. Chuck

For what it in worth when you have your engine rebuilt , and the crank turned, I sent 2 new flex plates with the engine to be balanced with the crank. Also the balancer.I did this and was later glad I did.

Back