351C Hood Clearance w/ Factory Breather & Edelbrock AirGap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffbl

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
2014 Ford F150
2018 Porsche Panamera

[url=https://ibb.co/i2uhXQ][img]https://preview.ibb.co/h0A0K5/815f.jpg[/img][/url]
Gents, I am trying to put together a deal for the car, or very close to it, that I had in High School back in the 70's (I am 56 now). I am going to warm up the 351 2V a bit, nothing radical....I see lots of threads about an Edelbrock Air Gap manifold being too tall for Ram Air applications. What about for simply being able to use the factory air cleaner assembly under the stock Mach 1 (NOT ram air equipped) hood? If I remember correctly, the factory 2v Autolite was a tall carb. I jut figured I might be able to use someone's 4v 600ish cfm carb and use the same breather. It needs to be one I can use the kick down lever with, as it is an FMX equipped car. Many Thanks!

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed a Blue Thunder intake which is 1in taller than 4V cast intake on ram air, and yes it was too tall. I had to modify things to make it fit. The ram air hood without the plenum has more than an inch of room above the air cleaner so it might fit. Just don't slam the hood shut till you know for sure if it works...

Yes the airgap will work with a nonfunctional ram air hood. You will more than likely need a non stock air cleaner. I have one on my car and know it will work and I also have AFD heads.

Yes the airgap will work with a nonfunctional ram air hood. You will more than likely need a non stock air cleaner. I have one on my car and know it will work and I also have AFD heads.
Do AFD heads raise the manifold

height? Thank you for the response

I installed a Blue Thunder intake which is 1in taller than 4V cast intake on ram air, and yes it was too tall. I had to modify things to make it fit. The ram air hood without the plenum has more than an inch of room above the air cleaner so it might fit. Just don't slam the hood shut till you know for sure if it works...
Thank you so much for the response. YOU made me remember something: I bought and installed a Blue Thunder on a 1971 M Code Mach 1 with a Holley. (As an aside, I LOVE that Blue Thunder manifold....it is just not compatible with these 2V heads). That combination cleared the Mach 1 Hood just fine with a factory air cleaner assembly (NOT with ram air, just the standard Mach 1 Hood). SO all I need to do is get the Blue thunder carb height and compare it to the Edelbrock Air Gaps to see where I am. That will at least give me a reference point. That sure helps, thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes. I used a drop base for my air cleaner along with the short(height) air cleaner and have no issues

Yes. I used a drop base for my air cleaner along with the short(height) air cleaner and have no issues
I have the AFD heads too and they raise the intake up. I am running a edelbrok torquer intake with a 1 inch carb spacer under the carb and it still fits With aftermarket air cleaner.

2vrvcps.jpg

Latest posts

Back