4 Link on 71-73?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, as Droptop /Jeff mentioned, i have a 4-link, and from my own experience, it a HUGE upgrade from leafsprings.

The car handles so much better than before, much more direct. I have built it from scratch, ordered links made to my specified length and had axle tabs made and went busy.

Spend almost a week on measuring, calculating and long before a lot of reading on the subject.

If you have the capabilities, do it, you wont be dissapointed..

Cheers Ben

Friend of mine bought a 90'ies XR7 Mercury Cougar for a donor car, cut out the IRS rear and the whole front suspension with the shocktowers. They all were fabricated to his 1973 Mach 1. I'll have a worktrip to 20 miles from his house in the next month or so, I try to visit him and took few pictures out of the engine compartment and from the suspension. He's been satisfied for the result.

It has been now few years with n/a 32V Modular. Now the modular is in the progress of getting two turbos under the hood. I'll try to get sneak pictures.

My idea was just to move the leaf springs away for more wheel space, I was told that if I mounted the 4 link, then I could get a 12" weidth wheel in back.. :)
Your not getting a 12" wheel width back there with out installing new or widening the inner wheel house notching the rear frame rails..shortening the rear axle
i have a stock length axle, widened wheel wells and notched frame. i fit 15x12's in there.

Really nice work! Did you make the arms by your self to? I am thinking about thoose their is holding the rear housing? :) what did you spent of money on this? And how does it work on the street? :)
like i said, it works perfect on the street, the car feels much more direct and responsive, when you make a turn, the car response right away, no more leafsprings and bushings that compress and have to settle first,.. so much better,

i had the links made , as well as all the brackets, had them lasercut, i ended up with QA1 coil-over shocks, the comp. eng. ones are very cheap and 1 broke while adjusting it..

i think i spend around 600-800 dollars on it total, i did the work myself..

cheers

Ben

I visited my friend as promised. I’ve got to disappoint you, this mach use to operate with 32 valve Modular, but now there are SOHC 281 cid with twin turbos though. Turbos were mounted behind the engine and the wastegate pipes are routed to the front wheel wells. Engine is stock factory engine and it does not produce enough exhaustgas to make the turbos operate – too big exhaust side on turbos or too small engine. Turbos will be modified for smaller exhaust side in few months. Once the summer gets here the owner will test how far will the stock 281 cid survive with some boost and when it explodes he’ll start to plan a new aftermarket block 32 valve Modular and with the turbos ofcourse.

Notice the nice rake and the modern positive offset wheels due to newer XR-7 mercury suspension.

WP_20140120_002_zps3706107c.jpg

Notice the shock towers, those are the Mercury's OEM towers cut out and welded to this Mach 1.

WP_20140120_019_zpsd5a8ffef.jpg

Transmission is out of the owners ex-drag Pinto – you can see the scattershield above the C4. Plus you can spot the drivers side turbo.

WP_20140120_005_zpsf358a198.jpg

There are stuff stored under the car for the winter time, but you get the picture from the suspension.

WP_20140120_011_zps7d6fb0bf.jpg

WP_20140120_012_zps5270b787.jpg

WP_20140120_013_zps18608c5f.jpg

Here you can see the rear wheels, lots of positive ET, I mean you can use the new Mustang wheels for example with the XR-7 axles&suspension.

WP_20140120_007_zps491ac815.jpg

You think the front is too low, well it’s got an air suspension at front - now how handy is that. This Mach 1 is highly modified and the owner has done all the work himself.

WP_20140120_021_zpsd44a4edf.jpg

Latest posts

Back