429 Clutch Linkage Questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderguns71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback small block, now 429.
Just a couple quick questions here. Firstly, can the engine side z bar bracket from a small block be modified to fit the 429 bell housing, or is it more trouble than it's worth?

Secondly is the frame side bracket something I'm going to have to keep my eye on Ebay for, or is it reproduced? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

If I can manage those two pieces I should be good to go. I'll make a z bar because I know I have a better chance of hitting the lottery than finding one, lol.

Just a couple quick questions here. Firstly, can the engine side z bar bracket from a small block be modified to fit the 429 bell housing, or is it more trouble than it's worth?

Secondly is the frame side bracket something I'm going to have to keep my eye on Ebay for, or is it reproduced? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

If I can manage those two pieces I should be good to go. I'll make a z bar because I know I have a better chance of hitting the lottery than finding one, lol.
don't even waste your time buddy. just get a www.moderndriveline.com cable and a applicable bellhousing and it'll be fine.

matter of fact, i run a 521 with a tko600 right now. the kit is for sale, but a fellow member has DIBS on the, flywheel, metal/metal clutch, and cable but i'll still have the bellhousing and fork available.

hit me up if you want to or email me.

Thunderguns,

Yes the Z-bar can be modified to work and yes check with Don @ Ohio Mustang on the frame bracket.

I did the modifications myself and the factory type linkage works well.

PM me if you have any questions on the procedure.

Thanks, Jay

don't even waste your time buddy. just get a www.moderndriveline.com cable and a applicable bellhousing and it'll be fine.

matter of fact, i run a 521 with a tko600 right now. the kit is for sale, but a fellow member has DIBS on the, flywheel, metal/metal clutch, and cable but i'll still have the bellhousing and fork available.

hit me up if you want to or email me.
Well I looked into that, but the problem is I'm running a big input toploader and no one seems to make a cable clutch fork for the 1 3/8" input shaft. I already have a Lakewood bellhousing and also a TKO adaptor, ( I originally wanted to put a TKO in it, but funds aren't happening at the moment.) Maybe I just haven't looked in the right place for a 1 3/8" fork.

Thunderguns,

Yes the Z-bar can be modified to work and yes check with Don @ Ohio Mustang on the frame bracket.

I did the modifications myself and the factory type linkage works well.

PM me if you have any questions on the procedure.

Thanks, Jay
Thanks, I'll check with Don.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used all the cleveland parts but had to fab an engine side bracket as the small one would sit at the wrong angle if you modified it. It was quite easy. I'm using a Lakewood bellhousing. I had to use socket head capscrews on the lower 4 bell to block bolt holes including the ones holding the bracket.

I fabbed up the stuff before when I had a 302 4 speed in the car, but it was never "right." If I can get ahold of the frame bracket I should be able to make it a lot better than last time and hopefully it all clears my FPA headers. Just for laughs I was on ebay and saw the z bar, frame bracket, and adjusting rod for $495, lol. I think the last time I saw just the z bar it was $250. You'd think someone would just go ahead and repro this stuff since they do for every other Mustang.

Back