67-73 Bolt on coilover TCP

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does any one drive with this kit? If someone does, is it a good kit? How much is the maximum you can lower the car with this kit, if any one knows? Maybe there are a better way to lower the car in front in stead of tcp bolt on coil over? :)

Hope some of you guys can help me..

/Daniel :)

Does any one drive with this kit? If someone does, is it a good kit? How much is the maximum you can lower the car with this kit, if any one knows? Maybe there are a better way to lower the car in front in stead of tcp bolt on coil over? :)

Hope some of you guys can help me..

/Daniel :)
i'm going to do it sometime in the beginning of the year with my tax return. i'm going to go with double adjustable shocks for drag racing. i'll let you know then, but if not, you let me know how it works out when you do it.

I think that you will be running first then.. I will first have the car finished about summer time.. But i need too install all this so I can order my wheels after I now what the ride hight will be.. :) so let me know when you have installed yours :)

I like the TCP upper arm coilover kit, but I'm squeamish about their full kit since it reverse loads the ball joint on the lower control arm and places the weight of the vehicle on the ball joint nut. It probably is fine, but I wonder... I'm still on the fence if I want to go coilover, or keep mine vintage.

I'm curious what coilovers people are running and how they are holding up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, but I've changed my mind. I'm going with tubular a-arms and drop leafsprings from Global West and Koni or some adjustable shocks instead. The reason for this is that it is'nt legal to install coilover systems here in Denmark with out paying a lot money to do this upgrade. The a-arms are not something you see right away when the car goes to be inspected.. :D

I like the TCP upper arm coilover kit, but I'm squeamish about their full kit since it reverse loads the ball joint on the lower control arm and places the weight of the vehicle on the ball joint nut. It probably is fine, but I wonder... I'm still on the fence if I want to go coilover, or keep mine vintage.

I'm curious what coilovers people are running and how they are holding up.
We don't use the factory style lower ball joint. We use a stronger Chrysler style instead. One of the major benefits to mounting the shock base on the lower control is the improved motion ratio. There is less mechanical advantage so you can run one full rate softer than the top mount coilover. There are a huge number of cars running around with TCP full coilover conversion, some of them for nearly 20 years. Read More Here.

However, if that makes you uncomfortable, that's fine. That's one reason we made the bolt-in style for top mounting. Read More Here.

Thank you Carl, for posting that.

I've been looking through the Mustang Monthly magazines and checking online with a couple of vendors that sell the TCP items, and have been disappointed that [it seemed] there were never any upper control arm coil-overs offered for the '71-'73s - every ad I've ever seen always said, "1965-1970." Must've just been more of the same kind of Vintage Mustang Love we '71-'73 guys seem to be left out of... which, while getting old, is fairly "normal" and not surprising. After seeing that, I pretty much just gave up on going that route.

As I was getting my '71 back together, I installed a complete, brand-new OEM system that was supposed to have come with 1" lowered front springs (yeah... not so much, it appears). I've wanted to do something about it, but can't justify throwing out perfectly good brand-new hardware (in the way of upper control arms and springs) just to get a little bit of adjustability, mostly for the sake of appearance.

Since it appears your upper control arm coil-overs will work with the OEM upper control arms, I'll be ordering a set ASAP! ::thumb::

Thanks again!

No problem, Eric! You can order through your favorite Mustang parts supplier, all the big name guys at least, or you can call us directly. My direct extension is 247 but any of us would be happy to help.

The stock spring suspension, in my experience at least, is always a crap shoot when it comes to ride height. There are a lot of boring reasons for this so I won't get into it.

Back