71 convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know, Chris, all that plumbing is starting to look like a Citroen under there....

No leaks. Power steering pump was being very difficult. Had to improvise but it is holding. Brakes are still odd. Turns out I had track only pads on the front. I replaced them with a new set of Wilwood Q pads. Vacuum assist is working great. Adjusted the rear calipers so they are where they should be. The brakes come on very very quickly at something like zero to 75% as a step curve. They ramp up from 75% with additional pedal travel to full brakes. Odd thing is when I get down to a few mph the car rolls maybe another 5 to 10 feet and then stops. Overall stopping distance is fine but the roll is unsettling. The brakes cannot lock up. The pedal is nowhere near the floor. Full pressure to rear brakes via adj prop valve. MC is from a F350 with a 1.25 dia piston. This means less pressure for a given amount of braking force. Putting a lot of force on the pedal does not really change things. Makes me wonder if MC piston is bottomed out but the pedal does not travel that far. Unfortunately Ford does not seem to have a MC with a 1.125 dia piston for our cars. I read the Chevy MC's from that era will fit and have a 1.125 dia piston. It kills me to put it on but stopping is kinda important.

C6 trans is giving me fits. I put a black stripe modulator on it and have adjusted it maybe 3 turns in. When in D it almost immediately upshifts from 1st. It works great when manually shifted 1 to 2 to 3 and back down as well. Someone said the governor may be sticking. Kickdown lever is not connected. Speedo not working nor is tach, Rocketman conversion. Temp gage not working. Have tried 2 new temp sensors, both were for a gauge. Lots of cosmetic stuff needed.

Finally got things sorted enough about a month ago to where I am comfortable driving it. Brakes are great. Trans needs to be manually shifted since it goes to 3rd gear almost immediately when in D. Need to check vacuum is getting to modulator. Speedo, Rocketman converted tach and temp gauge are not working. I need to ring out the tach and temp gauge wiring. I don't think it is a tach issue. Need to install rocker panel molding and wheel well molding. Maybe a bit more cut and buff, a little bit too much orange peel in some spots. I need radio knobs and to install the seat back latches. Exhaust leak at headers. I have not verified vacuum control of water heater hoses. A/C will take some custom fab I think due to Monte Carlo brace. Driving report.....omg. It really is a beast. Breaks loose at around 40 no problem. I say no problem because it was not floored and I still have not floored it. Throttle response is crisp and immediate. It will idle at 800 but sounds like it may want to die so it is closer to 875 for now. Radiator fans come on pretty quickly but mid to upper 90s and heat soaked at a show and it started right up and got home with no overheat issues. Oil pressure is great. I have separate engine oil and trans coolers. Not sure either has come on. They are temp controlled. I will try to get a video but it is on lift right now while I do some overdue work on the GT-351. Carb was leaking fuel and most of the hoses in the engine bay are brittle. I am also getting a Q code sprint fastback later this week. It needs complete resto. If things go very well I will get it started this winter. Need to replace all of the suspension on GT-351 since it appears completely original. Oil pan needs to be replaced on it as well. And Torino needs steering gear work and maybe some fuel system attention.

Attachments

• inbound2682795184584088488.jpg
    inbound2682795184584088488.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • inbound1406856175718586141.jpg
    inbound1406856175718586141.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Good to hear the test drive went well and that it is responding like the beast it is. It is a good feeling to get the stuff that still needs to be done down to a list you can manage.
Engine builder cautioned me extensively about safety. Old school drag racer been building engines of all types for 40 plus years as a living from stock rebuilds to custom NASCAR based custom builds to nitro methane. He said get subframe connectors and drag radials.

Back