71 custom build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I test fit the 351C into the engine compartment to anylize clearance issues. It has an HEI dist in it. The height of the dist is my biggest issue. I needed to eliminate some of this height so I restructured the motor mounts, chopping them to drop the engine about 2 inches Into the bay. I also had to modify the crossmember to accommodate the oil pan. I still need to either build a bump in the hood all down the middle or loose dist height. I'm looking for input on low profile distributors. Perhaps the msd low pro racing dist that uses msd ignition and a crank trigger. Any other suggestions or info on low profile spark delivery systems would be appreciated. Thanks

Anyone have a pic of a low profile dist on 351C . I know this isn't usually an issue for you guys but the 4" chop is making it tight, lol. The engine sitting in the chopped engine compartment makes it look like a hot wheels muscle die cast. You know the ones with the engine sticking out of the hood. Lol. This is one time that a stroked small block might work better but it looks so massive and great stuffed in there.

Ray,

Please find attached a photo of the 351 Cleveland in my Model A. It has a Mallory Unilite distributor. I know they made a flat "crab" type cap for that dist also.

Hope this helps...

Thanks, Jay

IMG_4609.JPG

Thanks, I'll check that out. On my way to Florida in the morning for a quick 3 day trip. Of course, I'll be stopping at Summit in McDonough Ga on the way. Awesome candy store. I'll find something there for sure. It's funny, every time my wife wants to take a trip south, she says to me " don't you need anything at Summit" away we go, lol.

image.jpegHey guys, I've been working on the 71. I'm gonna hit you with a mess of pics. I set the engine in. Had to gain height clearance so I chopped the motor mounts to gain 2" hood clearance. That set the engine down so I had to reconfigure the cross member. Cut the crossmember down and re enforced it to gain oil pan clearance. I also had to cut the hood for carb clearance. Then added the scoop to compensate. Added a MSD distributor in place of the HEI that was there. That gained 1 1/2 " of dist. clearance. I had to modify the break pedal mounting assembly to allow for the 4" body chop. Had to relief cut into the plenum to let the pedal bracket fit. I Will have to close up the gap and allow the break stuff to extrude into the plenum space then seal it off. It does clear the wiper tranny. The oil pan now drops 1 3/4 " below the cross member so I'll need a skid plate. It never ends , every action requires a reaction, lol, the pics to follow will show all this. I hope you enjoy them rather than be bored by it. So much goes into this kind of project, I hope you enjoy my sharing.

image.jpeg the break mounting bracket was also modified on the firewall . This will require using a 7" break booster to avoid interference with the steering box.

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpeg I have a set of enkei wheels 16 x 8 I'm considering using. Also a set of original pantera wheels I'll show pics see what you think.

The Pantera Wheels would be really cool.

looking good, like the way you just do it rather than getting bogged down worrying excessively about whether or not it will work
Yes Sir , figure out how you want it, then do what it takes, the sky's the limit. I live it, thanks Jeff.

I've been planning all along to use the pantera wheels, but they are so brittle I'm not sure I'm comfortable with them. They have rim chips from M&B over the years that would need to be spot welded. Takes a super tig pro to pull that off. Thought the enkei's might look ok. We'll see. Thanks man !

Back