71 door (unlocking) problem

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible 351-4V with RAM Air
I've got the key and have worked them with the doors many times. Out of no where this evening, neither door would unlock (and yes I was outside with top up and windows up so was screwed). Ended up have someone crawl through the trunk. Got both opened from inside. The promptly tried with the door open and closed (this time with window down to avoid repeat) with no problems. Now, I'm a bit spooked that it could happen again leaving me locked out of the car and there is no way I could have fit through the trunk myself.

Anyone have an idea of what I could look into that would temporarily cause the lock to not unlock with the key?

Have you been drinking? Are you 110% sure that you used the right key at the time?

If it was one door, we can explain as locks and keys do wear and play up.

Not being rude (I enjoy my jack as much as anyone), just eliminating variables...

For peace of mind, I'd lubricate both locks from the key area and the locks themselves and try each door 20 times.

If they work faultlessly, just write it off as an unidentified glitch...

Maybe you had a bad block of ice in your bourbon? Hehe

Are the doors popping when the latch is pulled (either inside or out), or do they sit stagnant and require a tug? If the latter, the strikers may be bolted too far inboard.

-Kurt

Ok, I know you had to ask but no alcohol was involved. One thing I've been pondering is whether when I put the top up and rolled up the windows (convertible) if somehow they didn't align with the weatherstripping right and it jammed the windows at a funny angle impacting clearance for the locking arm.

It's a reach but my car is newly put together with a new top and there are some fitment issues I'm trying to work through. I'll do the lubrication thing and have decided to make sure I have a coat hanger in the trunk at all times :)

Latest posts

Back